PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed mandolin at local pawn shop...

dadsaster
Jun-14-2016, 6:07pm
I would love some input on this mandolin. It's an Oscar Schmidt, used, with a case for $230. I'm a total beginner to mandolin and am looking for a lefty starter instrument. I know these aren't great instruments but there is almost nothing under $400 for us lefties.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msd/5628989458.html

choctaw61
Jun-14-2016, 6:26pm
I own the same mandolin.I enjoy it.Have gotten several good compliments on it.U won't get good reviews here though.But mine sounds as good as any in the same price range new as any recommended here.Maybe I got lucky with mine.Came with a good set up. Though i did lower the strings a lil more. Go for it u certainly won't be out much.And ignore the comments that will flood this thread about how u need to play right handed. I do believe Eastman and kentucky make left hand mandolins. They get great reviews here. U will get more bang for the buck by buying an A-Style also.hope this helps.

StuartE
Jun-14-2016, 8:21pm
If you are a total beginner to mandolin, there are some strong arguments for learning on a regular mandolin, rather than a so-called "left-handed" model. If you already play guitar, etc. "left-handed," then a LH mandolin makes more sense.

Do you want to use your stronger, more co-ordinated (left) hand to play the more intricate and involved motions of fretting scales, chords, and melodies on the mandolin? Or your weaker, less co-ordinated (right) hand? And, which hand for the usually less complicated picking and strumming?

Learning mandolin the usual way will make it easier to learn from books, videos, and other players.

If you learn "right-handed," you'll have many more mandolins to choose from when you upgrade.

Maybe a lefty mando makes sense for you, but think it through before assuming that is the way to go.

houseworker
Jun-14-2016, 8:47pm
If you are a total beginner to mandolin, there are some strong arguments for learning on a regular mandolin, rather than a so-called "left-handed" model.

Might you be right-handed by any chance?

There's nothing "so-called" about a left-handed mandolin, and if there are "strong arguments" for learning wrong-handed - which is what you're suggesting to the OP - perhaps you should take your own advice before offering it to others.

If the OP had wanted advice on which hand to use I'm sure he would have asked for it.

Roger Moss
Jun-14-2016, 10:00pm
If you are indeed left handed and want a f-style mando your choices will be quite limited. Go and play it and if it feels ok go for it. A-style will give you more choice and are relatively easy to convert to lefty but as I said if you want f-style you will have to go for a left hand built option.

dadsaster
Jun-14-2016, 11:00pm
Follow up question - given a $400 budget, would I get a better instrument getting an A-style instrument and paying to have it converted or finding a left-handed instrument?

As for the question as to why I don't just play a right-handed version, it's because I don't want to. The argument of more choice is not an issue if I'm willing to play A-style instruments. You don't know my hands. I've known them all my life. We get along pretty well. When me and my hands strum an air guitar, we do it left-handed and we do it nasty. Sure, I could probably learn to do it nearly as well if I did it the other way, but it would feel like a betrayal and it wouldn't be nasty.

There is a reason all instruments are set up a certain way. It's because its the best way for a mostly right-handed population to play that instrument. If the population was the inverse of our current handedness then mandolins would be set up the opposite way because its the best way for a mostly left-handed population to play them. Unless you are seriously arguing that left-handed people have an advantage playing right-handed instruments? As for videos and books and learning from others, I'm left-handed, I've been learning from other people doing things the opposite way my entire life. I'll be okay.

Roger Moss
Jun-14-2016, 11:12pm
If you are left handed play left handed. I paid a price for being forced to act right handed as a child.

The same money will always get you more mandolin if you go a-style. The change to left hand play is simply altering the nut and bridge slots for different guage strings. Some people play left handed but strung "regular" requiring no alterations. It should be a relatively cheap job.

darrylicshon
Jun-15-2016, 12:28am
I have a cheap a style strung left handed, i play it once in awhile, i plan on buying a left handed F style one day it will also be a cheaper one. I say buy it and try to learn and enjoy it and don't worry about what other people say.

Roger Moss
Jun-15-2016, 3:04am
I have a cheap a style strung left handed, i play it once in awhile, i plan on buying a left handed F style one day it will also be a cheaper one. I say buy it and try to learn and enjoy it and don't worry about what other people say.

Second that. Don't let anyone else tell you what is "correct". You have no-one to please but yourself.

Mandoplumb
Jun-15-2016, 5:08am
Why do I as a right handed person ask my left hand to do the noting which is the most inticate part of playing. I dont write with my left hand, in fact if I have to follow a column of figures I can't even do that with my left hand.but I am not alone, as has been stated, instruments are set up for the majority so all right handed people do it this way. That said it would seem that all left handed people should note with their right hand thus instrument made to be played that way. One question I have in that regard, it has been stated that an A style mandolin can be converted by changing the nut and bridge. It is my understanding that the tone bars are not symetrical in an F hole mandolin so would that make any difference, maybe not enough for a beginner mandolin but a professional one?

Roger Moss
Jun-15-2016, 6:30am
One question I have in that regard, it has been stated that an A style mandolin can be converted by changing the nut and bridge. It is my understanding that the tone bars are not symetrical in an F hole mandolin so would that make any difference, maybe not enough for a beginner mandolin but a professional one?

I would llike to hear some opinions on this too. My opinion is that it makes less difference on lower cost mandolins and almost none on a laminate top model.

houseworker
Jun-15-2016, 7:41am
Follow up question - given a $400 budget, would I get a better instrument getting an A-style instrument and paying to have it converted or finding a left-handed instrument?

Without any doubt, A-style is the way to go when you're on a budget. The Kentucky KM-150 is the default recommendation at your budget point. The Mandolin Store, who have an exceptional reputation for their set ups, currently have that listed at $349.00 (https://themandolinstore.com/product/kentucky-km-150-mandolin-with-gig-bag/). It might be worth asking them what the'd charge to set it up left-handed.

Roger Moss
Jun-15-2016, 10:10am
Without any doubt, A-style is the way to go when you're on a budget. The Kentucky KM-150 is the default recommendation at your budget point. The Mandolin Store, who have an exceptional reputation for their set ups, currently have that listed attacks $349.00 (https://themandolinstore.com/product/kentucky-km-150-mandolin-with-gig-bag/). It might be worth asking them what the'd charge to set it up left-handed.

Or even Elderly Instruments where it is listed setup at $295. Bet they could set up lefty also.

dadsaster
Jun-15-2016, 7:24pm
Even though I can't play a mandolin, I'm a master furniture builder and have read extensively on instrument construction. I will defer to an actual builder if one replies but from what I have read the asymetry of the tone bars would have a significant impact on the tone of the instrument. Since there is less work put into tuning the tone bars on a lower quality instrument I would imagine you are correct about making less of a difference, but its just a guess.

Jeff Mando
Jun-15-2016, 9:28pm
Seems fair for a lefty in that price range. I see a new cheapo A style lefty on eBay for $99 with free shipping, but again, an A style. In that price range, I wouldn't worry about tone bars or it even having tone, just to get you started. Six months to a year from now, if you are still playing, you will have a better idea about what you may be looking for soundwise.

allenhopkins
Jun-16-2016, 10:52pm
Both my left-handed older son, and my left-handed long-time singing partner Bonnie, play their guitars right-handed.

That having been said, I'd recommend playing the way you find most comfortable -- with the caveat that it's harder to find left-handed instruments, and you usually pay a premium for them.

G7MOF
Jun-17-2016, 3:40am
The thing is, once you've played as a lefty it's dammed hard to change. I started my musical career by strumming a tennis racket to music I played on my old tape recorder and I never got out of playing that way. I have taught myself to play a few tunes right handed just in case I come across a right handed mandolin so I know how it feels and plays.

Folkmusician.com
Jun-17-2016, 5:06pm
Of the left handed players I know, about half play standard right handed instruments. The other half play, lefties, standard instruments upside down, and a few can play either equally well. I honestly don't think it makes much difference which way you go. When you first pickup an instrument as a beginner, it feels like your dominant hand should pick. This is because you are concentrating on the picking/strumming and not the fingering. At this point, I believe a left handed instrument makes sense. Once you start into more elaborate fretting, then it makes sense for the dominant hand to do the fretting.

As to converting an A style, yes you will get a better instrument. The key here is that you may or may not be able to save the nut. Plan on starting from scratch with a new nut. You absolutely should change the bridge saddle. If you do not, the intonation will be way off. You can't just flip the bridge. :)

For a reference, I was charging $150-$200 to convert them. About $70 for materials for a new bridge and nut blank, and the rest labor. It is more time consuming than it sounds. If you can do it yourself, it will not cost much at all. :)

fentonjames
Jun-17-2016, 8:57pm
there are so many reasons to learn right handed.

for one, chord charts and tabs won't need to be transposed.

a lot of jams happen in tight areas and the musicians are really close. having your neck going the wrong way to the person next to you makes things awkward for you and them.

upgrade instruments in left hand? forget it, unless you want custom.

etc.