PDA

View Full Version : Asheville NC jams?

Tobin
Jun-14-2016, 4:22pm
I'll be in Asheville NC from September 20th through 23rd on business (flying in Tuesday, flying out Friday). I'll be tied up in meetings during the daytime and probably have to do company dinners on Wednesday and Thursday, but should be free later in the evenings.

So ... got any local jams going that I could crash? Should I bring a mandolin, fiddle, or banjo?

Phil Goodson
Jun-15-2016, 12:58pm
Tobin,
I sent a link to a friend who should know about the jams in Asheville. Hopefully, you might hear something soon.

j. condino
Jun-24-2016, 6:15pm
Tuesday nights at the Isis is probably the best general access one in town, and the bonus is you don't have to deal with downtown parking struggles. Thursdays at Jack of the woods can often be band practice for a select few locals who can be a bit unfriendly. Bring whatever instrument you are most comfortable and want to play, but keep in mind that the bar is set pretty high in this town. The day you bring your guitar, Brian Sutton will show up with his dad; the day you bring your fiddle, Bobby Hicks or Casey Dreisen will show up; the day your show up strutting your new Collings, someone will show up with a genuine Loar signed F5, a Gilchrist, Duff, and a Dude...but you can guarantee that in a weeks time you'll see more great music in this area than many see in a whole year, across multiple genres.

September will be tourist season, so town will be packed, but still warm enough that you'll have plenty of summer skirts to watch. Make sure to checkout the local venues and mountain express or wncw calendars because quite likely you'll be able to also catch a show and see one of your heroes playing for the price of a couple of pints. Asheville is an incredible town for music of all kinds, just don't show up hoping to find a job or an affordable rental room room or house to buy....

j.
www.condino.com
www.kaybassrepair.com

JRG
Jun-25-2016, 8:33am
grandcanyonminstrel is spot on about ISIS Music Hall, world class venue featuring world class musicians. Whether it's the Tuesday jams or the annual weekend after Thanksgiving Kruger Brothers weekend you won't leave there disappointed. The bar is indeed high on Tuesday but after the host band, things occasionally calm down a bit 'round 9:30 so do bring your instrument. If you do wind up on their stage you will never have played a better venue......enjoy.

Tobin
Jun-27-2016, 9:17am
Thanks for the info, y'all. Sounds like it's pretty high-stakes stuff. I was hoping more for a smaller, more casual, local jam setting where real fun can be had in the heart of old-time country, instead of trying to compete against pros or semi-pros on a stage setting. For me, nothing sucks the fun out of good music like large, competitive jams where everyone is trying to be the star.

Hmm, maybe I'll leave the instruments at home and plan to just go and enjoy the local talent.

Mark Wilson
Jun-27-2016, 9:59am
If you like beer (http://www.newbelgium.com/Brewery/asheville)
haven't been yet but will next trip

Eric F.
Jun-27-2016, 11:13am
I just returned from a week in Asheville. I played my mandolin on the porch of the house we rented on a ridge top outside of town, not in any jams, so I can't help you there. But if you're into food or beer, you are in for a treat. There are roughly 24 breweries in and around Asheville, with probably 50 more in the hills beyond.

If you get a chance, Cucina 24 is an amazing but remarkably unpretentious and low-key restaurant with a James Beard Award-nominated chef. Order a cocktail called The Cherries That Survived the Crows.

Mark Wilson
Jun-27-2016, 11:26am
IBut if you're into food or beer, you are in for a treat. There are roughly 24 breweries in and around Asheville, with probably 50 more in the hills beyond. cool. that's more than I thought. Gaelic ale from highlands brewery is a staple in my fridge

Tobin
Jun-27-2016, 11:53am
But if you're into food or beer, you are in for a treat. There are roughly 24 breweries in and around Asheville, with probably 50 more in the hills beyond.

The guys in my company who organize our annual engineer's meeting are beer connoisseurs. I'm told they chose Asheville for this exact reason. I'm not complaining. :)