PDA

View Full Version : octave tuned mandola

Ste Smith
Jun-03-2016, 3:17pm
HI, I'm thinking of buying an octave mandolin and tuning it like a mandola. The reason being that I'm a tenor banjo player, and like the tuning and scale length. Just want that 8 string sound. Does anyone have any advise?

Tobin
Jun-03-2016, 3:54pm
I don't see any reason you can't do it. You'd just need to use the right gauge strings for that scale length, if it's similar to tenor guitar scale. You may end up with issues at the nut slots and bridge slots if they're cut for larger diameter strings, and some adjustment of the action and/or truss may be necessary to dial it in for the different tuning. Not to mention tweaking the intonation at the bridge. So... some setup work would be involved, but it can be done. Do you already know what brand/model OM you want to buy?

Also, check our CBOM forum further down the main forum page. Lots of discussions down there on this type of thing.

CelticDude
Jun-03-2016, 5:16pm
Both Phil Crump and Lawrence Nyberg make longer scale mandolas; around 20" IIRC. That would mean no restringing/setup issues.

allenhopkins
Jun-03-2016, 10:36pm
Depending on scale length, you can string your octave mandolin with tenor banjo strings. Trinity College octave mandolins spec a scale length of 20 inches, which is a short tenor banjo length -- a 19-fret tenor would be around 22 inches, and Gold Tone's "Irish tenor" specs at 19.75 inches.

So you could get a Trinity College and try tenor banjo strings (I'd start with a light gauge), tune it CGDA, and see what happens...

Ste Smith
Jun-04-2016, 5:11am
Was thinking about a Trinity College.

Ste Smith
Jun-04-2016, 5:13am
I was thinking a Trinity College. My banjo is a 21" scale, and I string it 28, 21, 12, and 9.