PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flinner Trio with Ron Miles, Denver CO 5.25.16 review

Dougtron 3030
May-26-2016, 3:22pm
Was working in Denver for the week when I noticed that Matt was scheduled to play and I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity. The venue was the Mercury Cafe, a very funky little place and being from Eugene I felt right at home. Sadly there was a lot of bleed over noise, so the acoustics weren't perfect, but the music still shone through. In the second set, they performed their "Music du Jour" project, playing three songs that they had written that day. You would have thought they had been playing them for years. Not being familiar with the area, I had arrived at the venue fairly early and so had the chance to watch them work out the final touches on their parts before the show, worth the price of admission in itself! I've been taking part in some of Matt's online classes, so it was neat to get the chance to introduce myself and say hello in person. I joked that he must not be a very good teacher, since my mando doesn't sound anything like the tones he was able to produce! (but I'll keep practicing...:mandosmiley:)

If you get the chance to see them, take advantage. Great night of bluegrass influenced jazz.

Doug

darylcrisp
May-26-2016, 4:45pm
those guys are great, thanks for posting. that whole bit about working up a song or songs the day off is unreal-especially when you see them perform it(or them).

d

Michael Neverisky
May-26-2016, 5:10pm
That's cool. The music-du-jour project is a great idea. The tunes I've heard have been fresh and stretching genre boundaries. I'm signed up for one of Matt's "Summer Intensives".

dorenac
May-26-2016, 7:10pm
Saw them in Charlottesville, VA with Nate Leath. Great show and good guys to talk to after the music.

pit lenz
May-27-2016, 9:22am
Looking forward to see him over here in Germany in June with Alison Brown!
And yes, he is a great teacher....