PDA

View Full Version : Possible new GHS strings????

pops1
May-25-2016, 3:09pm
Just got off the phone with GHS and there is a possibility of them making a nickel alloy,
White Bronze, mandolin string, also a 'pure nickel' mandolin string which would have come on the old Gibson's from the factory in the old days. I have been using the White Bronze guitar strings and taking the balls off and loving them. Much drier sound and not so bright when you first put them on, more stable after several weeks and don't die as soon as phosphor bronze. I just put them on a mandolin I was thinking of selling and now thinking of keeping it, made quite a difference. I know there are several who like the A270 strings, I have used those and the silk and bronze for a long time, the white bronze are far superior and I can't wait to try the pure nickel. They are going to send me a couple sets of the pure nickel they have from a prototype run and see what I think. Wondering how many players out there would be interested in trying these out should they become available. I will talk to them when I have tried the pure nickel strings and will let them know of interest should there be any. Thanks

George R. Lane
May-25-2016, 3:54pm
Pops,
I have been using the A270's for several years and I would love to try a set of these white bronze. I like the tone of the A270's on my Yellowstone but, as you say they are quite bright for about a week, then they settle down.I will wait to hear you impressions of the nickel strings. Thanks for the update.

DougC
May-25-2016, 4:54pm
Do you know if nickel or white bronze are similar to chrome in their sound and feel under the finger
All of these terms seem confusing at times when all I want is a certain sound and feel.

BTW my favorites are D'Addario EFW74, GHS LSB250, and TI 154. Would you describe these as making a 'dry' sound?

pops1
May-25-2016, 5:23pm
Do you know if nickel or white bronze are similar to chrome in their sound and feel under the finger
All of these terms seem confusing at times when all I want is a certain sound and feel.

BTW my favorites are D'Addario EFW74, GHS LSB250, and TI 154. Would you describe these as making a 'dry' sound?

I do not believe they are the same as chrome. The pure nickel will not have a chrome element like an electric guitar string, they will be pure, like the Gibson strings of long ago. the White Bronze I do not believe are chromed either.

Yes they are much drier sounding than phosphor bronze. I have been making up sets of white bronze for a while now from guitar strings and they are far better than phosphor or 80/20 bronze. I have been using a .042 G string, the core is smaller than the core of the GHS mandolin .040 by at least .003 so I didn't feel the tension would be much different.

lenf12
May-25-2016, 5:24pm

I too love the D'A EFW74s on my 1916 F-4 and have used the TIs in years past. I would definitely describe them as "dry".

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Perilous Deep
May-25-2016, 7:48pm
I'd certainly be interested in trying them, especially if they react different to skin chemistry than phosphor bronze. My hands tend to corrode strings pretty quickly, even with careful maintenance. Coated strings help, but only so much.

How do you find the volume of white bronze in comparison to phosphor bronze? And are you shooting for a grassy sound with this setup, or is the tone better suited to some other style in your view?

CES
May-25-2016, 8:14pm
I'd certainly be interested in trying out the nickels, and you've got me intrigued about the white bronze, too.

While I have definite pick preferences, I've only had one set of strings that I truly hated. It's been so long ago that I can't remember exactly who made them (though "Stradivari" comes to mind)...terrible tone, and felt like cheese graters to play. They lasted about a week, just because I was poor at the time and hate changing strings ;)

So, I think it'd be cool to check these out...thanks for posting, pops1!

pops1
May-25-2016, 8:36pm
I think the White Bronze are as loud as the phosphor bronze, but much better tone. I don't feel they are restricted to a style of music, we play old time, old country, with a blugrassy twist and folky stuff and also for dances. They sound better IMHO, richer. I used to use these on guitar when I played solo a few decades ago and they were my preferred string. (white bronze). I too am excited to try the pure nickel.

Ron McMillan
May-25-2016, 10:18pm
What's wrong with one question mark?

Ivan Kelsall
May-26-2016, 1:21am
Hi Ron - I'm guilty of that sort of thing myself. I think that most folk use it to signify a BIG or IMPORTANT question. I uses more than one exclamation mark to express EXTREME surprise - i also use BOLD lettering & Capitals for EMPHASIS.
I wonder what the 'Nickel alloy' will be ?. Nickel + Copper = Monel. Have GHS seen a gap in the market for a readily available Monel string similar to the scarce Gibson ''Sam Bush strings'' ?.
Maybe pops1 could enquire further on our behalf ?,
Ivan;)

pops1
May-26-2016, 8:45am
Ivan, I don't think they have seen a gap, they have been making the white bronze for decades, just not in loop end. I have been using the guitar strings on my mandolin, and asking about this for some time. Judging from our conversation white bronze is not the same as monel and when they were talking about making a nickel string for mandolin it came up that the strings the old Gibson's would have had when they left the factory would have been pure nicke,l so they made up a couple sets. The wound gauges are .25 and .039 since they were making them for an old Gibson, and wanted a little less tension. Seems the way the nickel goes on the core is different because of the character of the nickel. I will put them on an ff hole and my old Gibson oval.

The question marks..... well it's a big if, lots of questions to answer.:))

Perilous Deep
May-26-2016, 1:13pm
I think the White Bronze are as loud as the phosphor bronze, but much better tone. I don't feel they are restricted to a style of music, we play old time, old country, with a blugrassy twist and folky stuff and also for dances. They sound better IMHO, richer. I used to use these on guitar when I played solo a few decades ago and they were my preferred string. (white bronze). I too am excited to try the pure nickel.

Thanks for the info. I may try a set of the white bronze guitar strings to see how they sound for me. I currently have DR Rare coated strings on, which are very warm and round sounding, maybe too much of a good thing with a rosewood-backed instrument. I'll be curious to try the mandolin strings if and when they become available.

Ivan Kelsall
May-27-2016, 12:22am
Hi pops1 - I'm sorry,i misread your original post. The Nickel alloy that you refer to IS the White Bronze. However,to me, Bronze has TIN in it. Maybe somebody should mention to GHS that there IS a market for a ''Monel'' mandolin string & see what they say,
Ivan

pops1
May-27-2016, 8:06am
Ivan, no problem, I have done the same more than once. When I talked to GHS they had talked about Monel, but decided the pure nickel was the original string Gibson used and tried that. I like the White Bronze a lot, and am anxious to get the pure nickel. I will put them on my Gibson oval and a newer ff model mandolin and play them and post what I think.

Ivan Kelsall
May-28-2016, 2:20am
Many thanks pops1. It does however beg the question as to why GHS aren't thinking of a Monel string at all. I don't know just how popular the Gibson 'Sam Bush' Monel strings are,but i do get the impression that they're becoming very scarce. Maybe GHS don't think there's much of a market for them,:confused:
Ivan;)

pops1
May-28-2016, 8:24am
Ivan, I thought I heard D'Addario and Martin are making a Monel like string and are either out or will be available soon.The GHS srings would be different than anything else on the market. The White Bronze I have on my mandolin are just the best sound I have ever had. They are getting older, seems these can go a couple of months and not deteriorate in sound. I am sure they have, but not so noticeable as other bronze strings. I am anxious to try the nickel, but it will be hard to beat the sound I have now, and I have tried Elixer and Silk and bronze, J74's, you get the idea.

mandroid
May-28-2016, 12:36pm
Have you communicated with the company Yet?

Just curious.. :whistling:

pops1
May-28-2016, 2:51pm
I have communicated with them, yes they are sending me a prototype pure nickel string to try, I am waiting for them in the mail. The White Bronze I have been using for some time by taking the balls off of guitar strings, I order singles. I am wanting them to make the White Bronze available in loop end for mandolin as I have never used a better sounding string. They had already made up a few sets of pure nickel by request of another mandolin player so sending me a couple sets of those to see what I think. If they decide to not make these in loop end I believe I will make a tailpiece that accepts ball end strings so continued use is easier. I don't know what to expect of the pure nickel, but the White Bronze which are a nickel alloy are, well I have said it too many times, great. They last so much longer and are perfect when first put on, hard to believe anything could be better sounding. We will see.

pops1
Jun-01-2016, 10:12pm
Well, just played tonight with the new nickel wrap strings from GHS. They a prototype and sound great. Very clear, warm and dry. The wound strings are a .025 and .039 and felt a little light to me, but sounded very nice. That is the only gauge they have made at this point. I would like to see these available for mandolin and guitar in the future.

Jim Garber
Jun-02-2016, 9:25am
I didn't realize that you have similar multiple posts about these strings on other threads. I would be interested in trying whatever GHS is prototyping, white bronze or pure nickel.

pops1
Jun-02-2016, 11:49am
I have commented on threads that are talking about Monel strings and availability. I don't know how similar these are to Monel, but I have been liking them a lot. For the white bronze I was using a .026 and a .042. The .042 has a smaller core than the .040 phosphor bronze loop end mandolin string so I felt a .038 might be light and there was no in-between gauge.

Willie Poole
Jun-03-2016, 11:12am
Pop`s...I know many years ago all we could buy were monel/steel strings and we strived to make our mandolins sound like the "Holy Grail" so maybe it`s time to go back and give them a try again, myself I would love for you to post more info about them when you can...

I have used GHS strings for the past 20 years so I will be one to try the new strings when they are put on the market....I do try other brands now and then but seem to always go back to the GHS A-270`s....

Willie

pops1
Jun-03-2016, 11:29am
Thanks Willie, I used the A-270's also. Sometimes I used the Silk and Bronze. A while ago I started remembering that I loved the White Bronze on my guitar, many years ago, so tried them on the mandolin. I liked them way more than the A-270's, but taking the balls off the strings was a pain so I started calling GHS. The pure nickel I am really liking. They are just a little clearer on the G and D strings. At first I wasn't liking the lighter gauges----.025 & .039 but after a day or so they seem fine and the mandolin sounds the best I have heard it sound.

Bob Buckingham
Jun-09-2016, 9:05am
I like nickel strings on mandolin and guitar. GHS white bronze is a favorite of mine. Hope they do this soon.

Lord of the Badgers
Jun-09-2016, 1:44pm
I've not tried Clifford Essex's mando strings (usually get all my CBOM strings here), but they do Nickel strings, for those of you who are curious. It's an option on ordering.
I've not tried them myself. NFI
http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=53

pops1
Jun-16-2016, 9:43am
Well it has been about two weeks since I put the nickel strings on and have played them at home, jam, dances and several gigs and I must say I really like them. I think I would like the G a little heavier, but only for more power in a jam, but sometimes I just bring a louder mandolin. The mandolin I have them on is deeper sounding and phosphor was ok when new, but got muddy soon, whereas these retain enough highs to keep the sound very pure and clean, even after two weeks of playing. They are also nice and dry and to my ears make my mandolin sound the best I have ever heard it.The winding's are very fine and feel wonderful on the fingers which is maybe why they are so clear sounding, or maybe it's just the material. I will be talking to GHS soon and will let you know if they have made any decisions.

I have the White Bronze on another mandolin that I was considering selling, but may keep now. I use the .042 for the G string and it is really nice. This mandolin is not deep like my other, but louder and the White Bronze again is drier and has a better sound for this mandolin too. I think those with deeper sounding mandolins and ovals will especially like either of these strings. I was planning to put a set on my A2, but haven't put down the other one yet. Thanks to all for the interest.

Well I just went an put them on my A2 and all I can say is WOW. I wouldn't change anything for the oval Gibson's, even the gauge is nice and sounds great. Again very deep as these mandolins are, but very clear in the low's. I may be playing my A2 more now.

Tavy
Jun-16-2016, 11:46am
I've not tried Clifford Essex's mando strings (usually get all my CBOM strings here), but they do Nickel strings, for those of you who are curious. It's an option on ordering.
I've not tried them myself. NFI
http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=53

Eagle music shop do their Newtone mando strings in either Nickel or PB as well. You can even pick you're own gauges (http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/mandolin-strings/eagle-newtone-pick-your-own-custom-mandolin-string-set.htm).

mandroid
Jun-16-2016, 12:30pm
Have found the Nickel Newtones to be pretty long lasting and tarnish resistant,
(Originals on My Hodson D'jangolin)

the plain ones leave a Lot to be desired in the Loop making,
reminiscent of why the Gibson tailpieces needed 12 hooks, 2 per unwound string,
so the plain string loops did not pull apart as easily, when brought up to pitch.

Bob Buckingham
Jul-05-2016, 7:18pm
Of course D'Addario has a string made of nickel and of steel http://http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=269&productname=EJ67_Nickel_Mandolin_Strings__Medium__ 11_39&sid=e3c352a7-4e36-406c-be6a-40a73ae89165

pops1
Jul-05-2016, 11:29pm
I have been gone for a little while, but before I left I talked to GHS and they were going to make me the nickel strings in a .026 and a .042. Hope they will be there when I get home in a day or two. Will post when I get them on if those gauges are better. They are talking about making several gauges tho, and I really like the .025 and .039 on my A2. Keeps the bottom end nice and low, but not muddy or tubby, very clean, deep and nice.

pops1
Aug-03-2016, 6:31pm
A quick update. I am waiting for the .026 and .042 pure nickel strings, they are on the floor being made. The pure nickel has been on my mandolin now for two months with no decline in sound quality, no tarnish and no wear. I have usually been able to go the two months, but with strings going dead, corrosion and dents in the strings where the frets are. These show none of the above. I have played cruises on the Mississippi on hot humid evenings and plenty of gigs and playing with friends and these are great. I think those folks using coated strings because of corrosion issues will love these for that as much as the great dry sound. I am anxious to get the heavier gauge D and G strings. In talking with GHS I find I am in good company as Scott Napier is also using the pure nickel prototypes and asked a few days after I did about heavier strings. I am hoping they will be sent this week and will post when I get them on. I am not sure what I will do if they decide not to make the pure nickel, it is really the best string I have had on my mandolin. While I like the white bronze a lot, I love the nickel.

Perilous Deep
Aug-03-2016, 9:23pm
Thanks for the update, pops. I continue to follow this in hopes of trying out something new that might handle skin pH corrosion issues better than coated strings. I have a set of GHS White Bronze guitar strings to try out soon on a guitar, so I'm curious to see what they're like with my string-killing fingers. Anyhow...keep us posted...

pops1
Aug-03-2016, 9:38pm
Thanks for the update, pops. I continue to follow this in hopes of trying out something new that might handle skin pH corrosion issues better than coated strings. I have a set of GHS White Bronze guitar strings to try out soon on a guitar, so I'm curious to see what they're like with my string-killing fingers. Anyhow...keep us posted...

Thanks, if you feel like taking the ball ends off they make good mandolin strings too. The nickel are great. When I was young, surprised I can remember, I could turn the plain nickel strings on my guitar black in about 5 minutes. Somehow I don't do that anymore, along with a lot of other things I don't do anymore. Let me know how you like them on your guitar, they have been my guitar string of choice for a long time.

mandroid
Aug-04-2016, 4:36pm
As said here , Years ago, "bright Bronze " is actually Brass (Cu+Zn , zinc, rather than Cu+Sn. tin)

pops1
Aug-04-2016, 7:52pm
As said here , Years ago, "bright Bronze " is actually Brass (Cu+Zn , zinc, rather than Cu+Sn. tin)

That may be, but White Bronze is nickel and iron and the strings I have on now are pure nickel wrap, I don't think anyone is doing this for mandolin at this time.

mandroid
Aug-04-2016, 10:49pm
Bronze is Copper and Tin.. ... combined 4500 years ago..
any thing claimed to the contrary is metallurgical snake oil, they're making it, the marketing name, up.
It is not not bronze. if the primary elements are not Cu & Sn.

pops1
Aug-04-2016, 11:34pm
That may be, the marketing name is White Bronze, nickel and iron, much better sounding than the other Bright or Phosphor Bronzes. don't care what they call it, it works.

mandroid
Aug-05-2016, 3:38pm
"Bronze" with no copper or tin Aint bronze its fraud! a False claim!

Un wind the winding of the cut off length of it.. that responding to a Magnet?

Of course the core wire is steel Thats Common.

send some off to the UW materials science Lab they can tell you what the actual Metal Alloy Is.

~o)

pops1
Aug-05-2016, 4:00pm
I believe the wrap is nickel and iron as they work with a magnetic pickup better than a bronze string that just picks up the core. I don't care if they are nylon it's just a name and it's a good string. There are a wealth of item on the shelves that we eat that have no bearing whatsoever to the label. I don't eat this stuff, but I do use the strings.

RodCH
Aug-06-2016, 2:31pm
You know, not to hijack the thread or anything but my Ratliff is the first mandolin I have owned with a decent Gibson-style tail piece. And it is the first mandolin I ever broke a loop on, on an e, and I fixed that by making the most lazy poorly made, by hand loop you could imagine and then hooked it around only 1 hook instead of two...and it worked fine. No problems.

Mandoplumb
Aug-06-2016, 3:06pm
Bronze is Copper and Tin.. ... combined 4500 years ago..
any thing claimed to the contrary is metallurgical snake oil, they're making it, the marketing name, up.
It is not not bronze. if the primary elements are not Cu & Sn.

Totally agree I hate to see something new, even if I like it's performance, named to be purposely misleading. If it ain't bronze don't call it bronze!

MediumMando5722
Aug-06-2016, 3:11pm
"Bronze" with no copper or tin Aint bronze its fraud! a False claim!

Un wind the winding of the cut off length of it.. that responding to a Magnet?

Of course the core wire is steel Thats Common.

send some off to the UW materials science Lab they can tell you what the actual Metal Alloy Is.

~o)

Bronze strings are apparently taken very seriously. Will they sound different once the actual composition is revealed?

Edit-While I'm not as put off as others, I do agree they should just call it what it is.

On a somewhat related note, remember when the Franklin Mint used to describe all their crap as being made of "fine pewter"?

pops1
Aug-07-2016, 1:14am
I am not affiliated with GHS, but the strings are for an acoustic guitar, and my thoughts are they named the string to not drive away acoustic players to which the string was made for. Since they are not yellow as most bronze, but sound similar, but better, and they are silver, hence the name White Bronze. This is just a guess on my part, but there are much worse things out there with names that have no bearing whatsoever that you could pick apart. I don't think Popiels pocket fishing pole fit in anyone's pocket. I am not trying to justify the name of the string, just let people know it sounds better than either bronze string and if you want to find it, this is what it is called. I didn't realize we were in metallurgy class, nor was I trying to upset anyone by the name of the string. Alloys have change a lot in the last 50-100 years and what was the makeup of something then is not the same now. Different %'s of the composition of metals have changed a lot. National Guitar bodies are not he same as the ones from the 30's as the metal available then is no longer made . Is it still a steel bodied guitar, yes I believe so. Does it sound the same, no. Alloys change in composition because these days it needs to be cheaper to make. Cement is not the same as it once was, but is is still called cement. It doesn't last and long and is not as durable as cement from the 30's, but it is still called cement and most folks here have bought it and called it cement, should we have a debate and rename it. We could do this for dozens of products that are not the products of the past. Sorry if I started something that upset people, I just thought some might like to know about a string that I think sounds good, lasts longer, and if you would like to try it here is it's name. If you have a problem with the name then call GHS.

Mandoplumb
Aug-07-2016, 7:39am
Pops1 there is a difference in things changing and totally mislabeling something. Concret may have changed but it is still concrete, if they mixed clay and water and called it concrete that would be wrong.

pops1
Aug-07-2016, 8:33am
Pops1 there is a difference in things changing and totally mislabeling something. Concret may have changed but it is still concrete, if they mixed clay and water and called it concrete that would be wrong.

You are correct, Mandoplumb, but I had nothing to do with naming the string, and I don't work for GHS. I am only calling attention to a string that I like. I don't know the composition of the string, someone on another post or earlier posted they thought it was nickel and iron and I know it to work with a magnetic pickup so thought that correct. I may try and look up on their site and see if they say what it is made of, not that I care. They make a lot of strings and maybe they could label them Acoustic Nickel. When you go thru the catalog with all the acoustic strings most are Bronze and yellow in color. I feel it was a simplified name to fit with the rest of the catalog and designate the change in color, again this is supposition so maybe I should just shut up.

They call their wrap "Alloy 52" so we don't know what is in the composition. Anyone curious may contact them and post here. I would be interested in knowing, but with that name maybe you won't find out any way. If I remember I will ask next time I order. They also have an Infinity Bronze. I doubt they last for infinity, but I am not taking the name literally. Now I am curious is Silk and Bronze or Silk and
Steel really silk in the wrap or something soft. All string companies sell a silk and steel string, but I doubt it is really silk. Again I don't know so maybe I should take my own advise.

Mandoplumb
Aug-08-2016, 2:37pm
Pops1 I know you didn't name them I haven't used them but the name wouldn't stop me from trying them I just don't like the way we muddy up our language. To quote a talk radio talk show host " words have meaning" and I agree.

pops1
Aug-08-2016, 7:57pm
Mandoplumb, you are correct, and I wish people in advertising thought like you. It may be there if copper in their alloy52, I don't know and was going by a previous post on this thread. No problem, while these are really nice strings the pure nickel that they are working on are far superior. Well they will be for most. They are absolutely killer on an old Gibson A. On my ff hole they are warm, it may sound weird, but they have depth if the mandolin has depth (oval) and dry on the ff hole but the attack is warmer. It was even noticed by a few other folks that don't play mandolin. If for some odd reason they don't market these I will most likely place a large enough order to have them custom made. I can't see playing without them at this point.

Mandoplumb
Aug-08-2016, 11:09pm
I use a steel string on my Dearstone and I think a nickel would be great. Waiting to try them.