PDA

View Full Version : The Bar Has Been Set

Jeff_Stallard
Mar-04-2004, 6:44pm
If you haven't noticed yet, Benignus posted his recording of Sally Goodin. #Either he's no beginner, or I *REALLY* suck!! #Yes, I know it's not a contest, but who wants to follow THAT performance?!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

By the way, I thought I'd offer a slightly different version. #I'll be mixing the two Sally Goodin versions found in the Fiddler's Fakebook into an AABBAACC kind of thing.

Edit: Sorry...didn't see all the comments people made at the end of the other thread. I'd delete this except I don't see how.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2004, 7:06pm
Yeah ... I'm blushing. I do like positive attention, but I get embarrsed too. Thanks.

But, hey - on your topic - I got most of my material from those Fiddler's Fakebook versions.

Shameless plug for Standard Notation over TAB - When I wanted to figure out the flatpicking for the guitar ... the Fakebook was still open to Sally Goodin ... and it turns out, that the notes are still the same ... even when you play it on guitar! Weird, huh? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

- Benig

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2004, 8:22pm
" ... but who wants to follow THAT performance?! "

Eeeck. Can I add, that my biggest worry and concern of late - well regaring this project, as the rest of my life is cake right now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif - is that someone would drop out becuase they didn't want to 'follow that act'. This is a wonderful project that Craig has concocted, and I dived in so quick out of enthusiasm. But, if I were to unwittingly discourage someone from participation, well I'd feel like real cad.

That being said, I want to help support this endeavor, and hopefull keep it going, and growing. Thanks Craig!

Martin Jonas
Mar-05-2004, 7:55am
Don't worry -- I'm busy practising and will get around to recording as soon as I have all parts figured out. Then, there will be a very much crappier version there to compare...

At the moment, I'm happy with the first three parts (except for the double stops in the third, which I'm fudging) and am trying to get my head around playing the fourth part in third position. It works alright dead slow, but I don't have the fluency to keep up the tempo that I set with the other parts in first position.

Give me a few more days.

Martin

stanley
Mar-05-2004, 10:57am
Oh, don't worry about feeling like a cad (whatever that is...), I'm busy trying to sort out the silly recording software so that I can post a true "beginner's" version. After that people will post versions hourly to try to swamp out my effort!

Bill

Michael H Geimer
Mar-05-2004, 12:13pm
" ... so that I can post a true "beginner's" version. "

LOL! Bill, you're the reason I joined in the first place. I saw your handle, and thought, "Heck, Bill's working the same sort of stuff as I am. I should hop on, as well. " You've jammed with me, and seen just how well I can de-rail a train!

I hope your computer issues evaporate swifty. I'm looking forward to hearing your tune. Are you mic'ing the Rigel, or using the pick-up?

- Mike

stanley
Mar-05-2004, 5:38pm
Mike, at this point I've just used a cheap computer mic...which has worked well enough so far. Anything better would probably reveal additional playing mistakes. Haven't had a chance to 'plug it in' and try the pick-up...someday.

Speaking of trains...I saw radim zenkl last night and that guy is a locomotive! How you are thinking about the mandojam in june...I should be there!

Anyhow, this project's been good...forcing me to learn stuff that I might otherwise pass on. And (un)fortunately the weekend's coming on and skiing will crowd out mando/recording somewhat...so I'll try to get that beinner's version out asap.

Enjoy the weekend everybody!
Bill

harwilli55
Mar-06-2004, 6:42pm
Anyone using N-trac for recording? I have used it for small stuff but have yet to figure out punching and the cool slick ways have all the tracks come together.

Harlan

levin4now
Mar-07-2004, 8:38am
I haven't heard benig's version yet, and I don't know how i will compare to any of you - so the advice from me is not to worry - just enjoy the experience. this is like showing up at a jam and being nervous about skill levels, except we don't really show up here!

levin4now
Mar-09-2004, 10:57am
Uh, now that I've heard Benig's version, I think I will lay my mando, my voice, my cheap plastic microphone down and go play golf or something far removed.

That was awesome Benignus. Who is singing? Playing guitar? Mando? All you? Harmony too?

Who is Michael Geimer by the way? When I saved the .wav file to listen to it on my PC, it said Sally Goodin' / Michael H Geimer.... and then who is Ernie Tellis? And who IS Benig?

Many probing questions. Sorry!

Fred G
Mar-09-2004, 12:50pm
Benignus, great job. What speed is that, I don't have a metronome here at work about 95 bpm?I played it for the first time last month with an really good b*&jo player that played it at about 130! I like it better at around 100. I think it sounds nice that way.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-09-2004, 1:04pm
Fred, I think it's somewhere around 180bpm. I have this habit of setting my metronome at 1/2-tempo so that mentally it 'clicks' on only the 1 and 3, or 2's and 4's depending. What I mean is I set the tempo at 96bpm (I think) and then played double time against the click. Make sense?

For the record ... I usually practice with the met set at 84bpm ... which would equate to 168bpm 'real time'.

I used to be confused by these 200+ bpm tempos. It never seemed right to me, as I was used to playing rock parts that were based on sixteeenth-notes ... where a tempo of 160 bpm is considered fast. Bluegrass was quite a 'rude awakening' in that respect.

Fred G
Mar-09-2004, 1:27pm
I do the same with my metronome and that would make the 90ish 180 as you said. I was never really sure if you say 90 or 180 bpm since the bass plays only on the downbeat(1 and 3).
as with the 200+, I guess that is my problem too as I play in an acoustic folk-rock band.
I try to keep turning up the metronome but I seem to have limits.

Nik-chick
Mar-09-2004, 5:24pm
Really, Mike? I have the tendancy to do the oposite. Get it clicking one and two and... Set it at 40 or 60 and play at 20 or 30. *L*

Seriously tho. We're all just in competition with ourselves, because I think everyone is on a slightly different level. Therefor, if we're grouped so that we all compete only within our own exact level...it's me vs. me and you vs. you...then everyone wins their category!

Michael H Geimer
Mar-10-2004, 10:22am
" We're all just in competition with ourselves ... "

Tell it like it is, Nik!

I have a competitive streak where long-distance running is concerned. I'm over it now, but it was a hard thing for me to really embrace the idea of 'running my own race' ... and not step up the pace because someone was passing me.

Like Aesop's tortise and hare, I have come to realize that slow and steady 'wins the race' ... though I don't really 'race' anymore - Heck, I don't even carry a stopwatch.

Yesterday, I jogged home from work and watched a guy fight with himself to *not* let me crawl past him. He'd burst ahead each time I was on his shoulder, and once he couldn't hear my steps - sure enough he would slide right back into his normal gait ... and I would slowly crawl up again. Reapeat this for two miles. It was silly to watch, really, 'cause all he did was mess up his own pacing and wear himself out. Mind you, I was only going a tiny fraction faster than him, but it seemed he really didn't want me to pass him. *W*

My point? Let's all just play some mandolin. Comparisons and competitions won't teach us anything here. Leave that for the fiddle conventions.

- Benig