PDA

View Full Version : Flatbush Mandolins - value?

Drew Egerton
May-20-2016, 2:17pm
Hello everyone,

I've owned and played a Flatbush V4 mandolin since 2006. it was built in 2003 by Victor Smith in Denmark.

I know that there are not a lot of these mandolins in the US relatively but that some big name professionals have been seen playing with one.

So, my question is: who out there might have an educated guess on the value of a used Flatbush mandolin currently? For this particular model I paid in the $5k range including a Calton case back in 2006.

There are some cosmetic issues that will certainly affect the value but nothing structural at all and the sound is just killer. I can figure out how much to knock off the price for the dings, but what would you think one of that age might sell for?
Obviously it's a somewhat limiting factor for the market that it is not the traditional F style shape or a more well-known US brand. Are they holding value, increasing, decreasing? I have no idea...

Here is where you can find info about it from the builder:
http://www.flatbush.dk/Model%20V4.htm

I'll not post pics and price info here on the forum and will save that for the classifieds so please also no offers to buy on this thread if you're interested, I just want some info to get in the ballpark!!

Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
May-21-2016, 2:15am
Hi Drew - I had the great pleasure of playing a Flatbush V5 some years back, that belonged to a band member of a band from either Sweden or Denmark & it was tremendous. If anybody has the Alan Bibey tuition DVD,Towards the end,AB plays a FB V5 that he's promoting & that was also a terrific mandolin,better ''for me'' than AB's Loar.
I'd expect a very similar tone from yours,in which case it's at least 'very good' indeed.

Re.value,i'd check out the current price & maybe go with 2/3 - 3/4 of it depending on 'how much' a new one is. I can only go with an example. Currently a new Weber "Fern" is £6,795 UK at TAMCO in the UK. Trevor,the owner,has a 'used' one in in good condition on sale for £5,495 UK = 81% of the new price. The prices of course include our tax,
Ivan;)

Drew Egerton
May-22-2016, 12:23pm
Thanks Ivan. I never thought I'd get rid of that mandolin, but I'm finding myself never playing it since getting the new one. It's really a great instrument. I do have Victor's contact info so I'll see what a new one would go for.
Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
May-23-2016, 1:22am
Drew - Unless you really need the cash for something else,isn't it worth keeping the FB as a back up instrument at all ?. That was my principal reasone for buying a second mandolin.Taking one instrument in for a re-fret could mean that i'm without it for a week or so,& so another mandolin became an imperative. One point,i seem to have accumulated 3 of the things !.The best part of that, is that i play one one day & i enjoy it,the next day i play another & enjoy the ''differences'' just as much. A 'change of tone' works wonders for me,
Ivan;)

Drew Egerton
May-23-2016, 7:39am
Ivan,

That's where I am at right now is making that decision. Actually, I came about the Kelley because the Flatbush needs some fret work and that's how I got interested in Skip's work. :)

I wasn't exactly in the best financial place to buy another one so that's part of the reason, but also as we really gear up trying to get our band going there are some expenses with that that selling would help out a lot. I got approached this weekend by a "big name" bluegrass "star" about helping us produce a record in Nashville this fall....so this would go a long ways toward making that dream come true.

I'll probably post it and just be patient and see what offers come along.

Ivan Kelsall
May-24-2016, 1:37am
Drew - If you're playing with a band on a regular basis,i'd use that as THE most important reason to keep the FB as a back up. One mandolin without a spare isn't a great place to be if something should go wrong - unless you can borrow one of course. Meanwhile,the best of luck with your possible recording,i hope it turns out great,;)
:mandosmiley:

Johnny60
May-24-2016, 6:38am
Hi Drew, I have no idea about the value of your Flatbush. However, I did have the pleasure of sitting opposite a guy playing one at a bluegrass jam about a year ago. Nice, very nice. He was a great player and the instrument sounded ace. I realise that is no help at all, other than affirming that they seem to be really nice instruments!

Drew Egerton
May-24-2016, 9:56am
Ivan, another good point for sure. And hey, Alan Bibey told me to hang onto it when I told him I had one lol.
I'm in no hurry so I'll mull over it for a while. Thanks for all the input.

Johnny, thanks anyway! :)