PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel #359 Redwood vs. #363 Adirondack Spruce (Video)

eastKYmando
May-10-2016, 9:42am
I decided to put together a little "side by side" comparison video of my two Silverangel F's. The first is about a year old and has a Redwood top. The other, is a recent build that is only a few months old, and it has an Adirondack spruce top. The redwood has a 1 3/16" neck while the spruce has the standard 1 1/8". I'm playing both with a blue-chip pick and both have D'Addario J-74 strings. I find both of this mandolins to be very rich in tone, with Ken's trademark low end presence, plenty of volume, play wonderfully and have a really nice sustain that sounds great with the sweet stuff. Enough about my thoughts, judge for yourself....as always, overlook my playing and focus on the mandolins!;)....Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02B_wM5tZTM&feature=youtu.be

Ron McMillan
May-10-2016, 10:03am
Comparing sound sections like for like, the sequence starting at 0 mins 49 seconds and the same musical sequence beginning at 4 min 41 seconds: the more booming lower tones from the redwood top are really noticeable (and very attractive to my ear). It strikes me in the same way as the sound I hear from my 1920 Gibson A2. It has that tubbier Gibson-roundhole sound that is so nice for blues (and so characteristic of blues from the early part of the 20th C).

Tom C
May-10-2016, 10:20am
The Redwood one overall sounds a little muddy compared to the second. Low ends sound similar I thought. Both sound great overall.

George R. Lane
May-10-2016, 10:35am
I agree with Tom's assessment. I prefer the tone of #363.

pops1
May-10-2016, 11:55am
My mandolin has a deeper sound like your redwood top and the blue chip makes it a little muddy also, I find a lighter pick will bring out more highs and sound better to me.

eastKYmando
May-10-2016, 12:03pm
no doubt...just wanted to play them both with the same pick for the sake of comparison.

Skip Kelley
May-16-2016, 12:31pm
Donnie, nice picking! Both of those fine mandolins sound great!

Drew Egerton
May-17-2016, 10:22am
I definitely prefer the spruce! Guess it depends on what you're trying to do though, but for it's got IT!

Pjones3
May-17-2016, 3:14pm
Hey Donnie! Nice picking as always!!! I like them both, but............
I prefer the Spruce top to the Redwood.
I had a S.A. redwood two point that sounded just as sweet and I currently have one of Ken's older (# 73) spruce top A models. It's a keeper for sure.
Amazing how Ken consistently puts his signature sound into every mandolin he makes.

edandjudy3946
Jun-08-2016, 2:52pm
I've got number 341 with the redwood top (replaced) that I think you had for a few weeks. It's from Feb 2014 and has been played to death.

9lbShellhamer
Jun-10-2016, 11:51am
I think the Adirondack sounds more defined between the notes, more clear. I like them both but prefer the spruce more. I like the crystal clarity of it.

Mike Scott
Jun-10-2016, 12:09pm
The Redwood one overall sounds a little muddy compared to the second. Low ends sound similar I thought. Both sound great overall.

+2. Both are great, would love to have either. Great playing BTW.

mandobassman
Jun-10-2016, 9:07pm
I seem to be in the minority here but I prefer the Redwood. Fuller and warmer tone to me, which is what I prefer. Ken makes a great mandolin.