PDA

View Full Version : What are Benefits of Solid Tailpiece?

lflngpicker
May-06-2016, 6:13pm
Those of you who have switched out a basic, traditional tailpiece on an F5 to a cast type (see example), can you attest to it's benefits? Tonal effect? Ease of string changing? Reduction of noise? I have a new mandolin on order and want input on the various purposes for this upgrade I am ordering with it. Thank you for your thoughts!

This is very similar with a slight difference in ornamentation:

MikeEdgerton
May-06-2016, 7:05pm
The advantages are that you can change strings faster and you'll never lose the cover. There really is no tonal difference.

George R. Lane
May-06-2016, 7:30pm
And if you want a tailpiece that makes changing strings a breeze, get a James.

Mandobart
May-06-2016, 8:04pm
What I like the best about my cast tailpieces is I can use loop or ball ends. I don't do it on mandolin, but on mandola, OM and mandocello I use octave pairs. Very easy to put together a custom set of strings buying single guitar strings available at every music shop.

Bertram Henze
May-07-2016, 12:16am
I always thought it strange to hold several hundred pounds of string tension with a cheap piece of tin can origami. A solid tailpiece is first and foremost that: solid.
Plus all the other advantages mentioned above.

Polecat
May-07-2016, 4:57am
I always thought it strange to hold several hundred pounds of string tension with a cheap piece of tin can origami.

I've never heard of one failing, though. Apart from the increased ease changing strings, if the part is well thought out (the cast aluminium tailpiece on my Eastman 504 is absurdly fiddly and appears to have been designed by sadistic fiends), I believe that the greatest benefit of a solid cast tailpiece is that it pleases the owner, which is a good enough reason in itself.

UsuallyPickin
May-07-2016, 7:22am
Well.... I have not yet purchased a mandolin with anything other than a standard two piece , only one clamshell thank you, tailpiece. I don't care much for the clamshell design. The standard two piece is often separated never to be reunited. And I have had one mandolin break off a "tang" so I had to replace the base. As it was a standard all the holes lined up and with a slight adjustment. needle nosed pliers, the top slid on and was snug not super tight. Truthfully I have never felt any great need to change out hardware if it was performing it's function. But in the end..... every change on an instrument will make an incremental change in tone or playability. Added together , strings, nuts, bridges , tailpieces, tuners, frets can positively impact an instruments tone and worthy of pursuit. Keeping in mind that you won't know what until it's done. R/

lflngpicker
May-07-2016, 9:25am
Great discussion. I can always count on you friends to make me think and teach me things I wouldn't have thought up on my own ("wouldn't a-thunk it"). The one I am getting is the type put on Northfields such as in the picture above.

Willie Poole
May-07-2016, 9:44am
When changing out a tailpiece folks usually install new strings so there is a change in the sound but not because of the tailpiece change, it`s the new strings that do it...anything can change the sound in your mind if you let it...You hear what you want to hear most of the time...

Willie

lukmanohnz
May-07-2016, 10:17am
My new Northfield M has the Nugget 1-piece tailpiece, while an older F I own has the traditional two-piece sheet metal design. I HATE changing strings on my F. Which is partly why I always play with old, worn out strings. (I think I've put on about three sets in the five years I've had the F. The other part is that I'm lazy and would rather play fiddle tunes than change strings.) I haven't had the M long enough to need a string change (let me re-phrase - long enough to care how overdue it is for a string change) but I'm looking forward to not dealing with that PITA tailpiece cover.

lflngpicker
May-07-2016, 10:29am
My new Northfield M has the Nugget 1-piece tailpiece, while an older F I own has the traditional two-piece sheet metal design. I HATE changing strings on my F. Which is partly why I always play with old, worn out strings. (I think I've put on about three sets in the five years I've had the F. The other part is that I'm lazy and would rather play fiddle tunes than change strings.) I haven't had the M long enough to need a string change (let me re-phrase - long enough to care how overdue it is for a string change) but I'm looking forward to not dealing with that PITA tailpiece cover.

The ease of string change and the potential for overtones (something I have noted is the purpose for felt and leather on top or under the strings) are two things that seem to merit the option. I love the old Gibson type two piece version, though. I think the solid one will be a nice upgrade in appearance on my soon to be J Bovier F5 Tradition+(plus) from the JB Custom Shop and personalized by Jeff Cowherd.

Northwest Steve
May-07-2016, 10:46am
I really liked the Weber design (without the W logo) on my Kentucky. It looked great and felt solid. I think it does make string changes easier. I will caution that I think if you are not careful you could lightly scratch the top depending on the design and how the strings go through the holes in the tailpiece.
In a moment of insanity I took advantage of the Sillverangel econ A's ken is offering. I did not want a standard tailpiece for the above mentioned concerns so I opted for a James Tailpiece. They appear to be the easiest to change string with and they look great. I did have an opportunity to talk to Bill and he seems like a really nice guy. They might be worth a look on a custom mandolin and you can always take it off if you sell it.

lflngpicker
May-07-2016, 3:42pm
Good info Steve. I am sure that you have a really nice mandolin-- Ken is known for making a great instrument and backing its quality up. I hope to get one someday. Enjoy, and with the nice tailpiece, too!

jim simpson
May-07-2016, 4:04pm
I put a James on my Collings MF5, I never dread string changes. I was pleased to find that my Poe F4 already had a James on it. I've got another to put on my KM-1000, will do that next string change. I do like the fact that they retain a traditional look.

MikeEdgerton
May-07-2016, 4:08pm
...I will caution that I think if you are not careful you could lightly scratch the top depending on the design and how the strings go through the holes in the tailpiece....

Take the envelope the strings come in and put it under the tailpiece when you feed the string through the hole in the tailpiece. That will resolve this issue.

lflngpicker
May-07-2016, 4:48pm
Take the envelope the strings come in and put it under the tailpiece when you feed the string through the hole in the tailpiece. That will resolve this issue.

Mike, That is a great procedure. I feel like-- "I should have thought of that". A year or two ago someone suggested a better way to wrap a string around the post that I had never thought of in 50 years of string changes. It just never occurred to me to wrap the string around the post by hand a few times before beginning to tighten it with the tuner. It was such a great suggestion and I have incorporated it ever since. This forum is a great resource. Now, I have another technique that I will add to my string changes to prevent scratches. Thank you!

nordian
May-07-2016, 8:24pm
I've never heard of one failing, though.

I have, though only once. A friend had a '95 or '96 Flatiron F5SB that failed at the angle where it comes over the top of the mandolin. Tore about halfway across the width of the tailpiece. I replaced the tailpiece for him with another of the same retaining the original cover. He shortly after sold the mandolin on ebay to a buyer in Japan.