PDA

View Full Version : Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

Patrick Gunning
May-03-2016, 1:36pm
I've had my new baby, Red Diamond #190, one of his vintage 1922 "Crusher" voiced F5, for about a month now and all I can say is that Don MacRostie's reputation for nailing his Loar voicings is incredibly well deserved and if anything may not be talked about enough.

As someone who literally grew up with the Garcia/Grisman records as his first mandolin recordings, the way he captured the essence of that Loar's tone is simply uncanny. Huge sound, but more importantly even all across the strings and up and down the fretboard - the 12th to 15th frets on the high E string have all the projection and fullness of the first five frets on the low D and G, which is so rare. While some of the very small fit and finish details aren't as meticulous as some other makers, it's still a 9/10 or better in that area as well. Pronounce MAS cured for the foreseeable future - this is a lifetime instrument.

Here's a couple pics, and a short little video in the link below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE72Ot5k0eV

sgarrity
May-03-2016, 1:55pm
Sounds great! Don makes a fine mandolin.

cayuga red
May-03-2016, 2:06pm
I've had my new baby, Red Diamond #190, one of his vintage 1922 "Crusher" voiced F5, for about a month now and all I can say is that Don MacRostie's reputation for nailing his Loar voicings is incredibly well deserved and if anything may not be talked about enough.

As someone who literally grew up with the Garcia/Grisman records as his first mandolin recordings, the way he captured the essence of that Loar's tone is simply uncanny. Huge sound, but more importantly even all across the strings and up and down the fretboard - the 12th to 15th frets on the high E string have all the projection and fullness of the first five frets on the low D and G, which is so rare. While some of the very small fit and finish details aren't as meticulous as some other makers, it's still a 9/10 or better in that area as well. Pronounce MAS cured for the foreseeable future - this is a lifetime instrument.

Here's a couple pics, and a short little video in the link below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE72Ot5k0eV

Your RD is a true tone monster! Play it in good health

PVia
May-06-2016, 1:06am
Love it, Patrick, sounds fantastic...enjoy!
Let's get 'em together sometime...

Astro
May-06-2016, 6:55am
Wow, love that deep rich mellow tone. And your playing and tune are fantastic ! What year was yours made?

AlanN
May-06-2016, 7:09am
Lovely instrument and tune. I twinned you on the A part, did you hear it? :mandosmiley:

stevedenver
May-06-2016, 5:38pm
Nice tune, inspired by your new baby
Play in good health and congrats!

bbaker2050
May-07-2016, 6:48am
Wow, great playing. And that Red Diamond sounds incredible!!!!

Winfield
May-08-2016, 7:41am
Congratulations on your Red Diamond. Great playing. Great sound. I have a July 9, 23 voiced Red Diamond. Fabulous instrument.

Barry Platnick
May-08-2016, 8:19am
Great tune and great sounding mandolin! I lust after one of those.

Patrick Gunning
May-08-2016, 8:51pm
Wow, love that deep rich mellow tone. And your playing and tune are fantastic ! What year was yours made?

This one was made August 4, 2008.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

UsuallyPickin
May-09-2016, 6:45am
I visited Carter's a couple of weeks ago and had my first opportunity to play a Red Diamond mandolin. It was a Vintage A model instrument. It was truly a fine mandolin with great tone playability workmanship and materials. I was deeply impressed with the Macrostie instrument. I expect you are justifiably pleased with yours. Enjoy.... R/

9lbShellhamer
May-09-2016, 9:29pm
Wow. Impressive and inspiring playing, and yes, the mando sounds awesome!

goose 2
May-10-2016, 9:10pm
Fantastic mandolin. I love the color. It just looks "right" to me. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how well Red Diamonds play. Every one I have had my hands played just as well as they sounded. Congrats to you!

JAK
May-11-2016, 5:05pm
Is Don M. still building the "Vintage 22" model?

Patrick Gunning
May-12-2016, 3:14am
Fantastic mandolin. I love the color. It just looks "right" to me. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how well Red Diamonds play. Every one I have had my hands played just as well as they sounded. Congrats to you!

Second the notion about playability - this is the best playing and intonating flat board mandolin I've ever played.

Is Don M. still building the "Vintage 22" model?

His spec builds these days seem to be his "July 9" model which he described in a wonderful interview that was posted on the cafe a while back as his Vintage 22 voicing "on steroids." I played a July 9 voicing of another SoCal Red Diamond player and it was fantastic (in fact, it inspired me to buy this one sight unseen). I'd imagine if you ordered a Vintage 22 voicing specifically he could do it but Don and I haven't ever really spoken so I have no idea actually...

Andrew B. Carlson
May-12-2016, 3:16pm
I play an RD for the first time the other day. It was an early 2000's made for and owned by David Grisman (for a short time). It was finished in grey burst and although I didn't care for the color, it sounded amazing! I'd own one any day!

bobrem
Jun-16-2016, 12:53am
I play an RD for the first time the other day. It was an early 2000's made for and owned by David Grisman (for a short time). It was finished in grey burst and although I didn't care for the color, it sounded amazing! I'd own one any day!

I have this RD on consignment. It is No. 132 and I love it, but sadly must part with it. Glad you had a chance to play it.

jmagill
Jun-16-2016, 6:14am
I have this RD on consignment.

Where?

JeffD
Jun-16-2016, 8:33am
Patrick what a great tune!

Ron McMillan
Jun-16-2016, 9:00am
Beautiful mandolin, nicely played. No wonder you are happy.

Andrew B. Carlson
Jun-19-2016, 4:31pm
I have this RD on consignment. It is No. 132 and I love it, but sadly must part with it. Glad you had a chance to play it.

It really was a delight to play! I spent more time on it than Byron's Gilchrist, and that's also a killer F5. I just loved the woof it had.

terzinator
Jun-22-2016, 2:16pm
Great tone and great playing. Thanks for sharing that!