PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Martin

Slim Pickins
May-14-2005, 3:47pm
We will miss you Jimmy. You are in a better place now. No doctors, no pain. You are up there with the greats. It would be so nice but sad to hear Ralph Stanley do an acapella at Jimmy's wake.

floyd floar
May-14-2005, 7:42pm
I feel like a link in the chain of my musical heritage has been broken. What a great loss. My mind goes back to when I first discovered bluegrass, largely through the Dirt Band's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album around '75. Roy Acuff and Jimmy became a 19- year old's favorite singers. Jimmy's voice just got right to me, especially on "You Don't Know My Mind" and "Sunnyside of the Mountain". Through that intro I picked up on his work with the Bluegrass Boys and his own secular and gospel work. God Bless you, Jimmy- I pray you're on that sunnyside of the mountain, where the rippling water falls.

Tim Saxton
May-14-2005, 8:23pm
Good Bye to the best bluegrass singer ever to step up to the mic. What a great man!! Maybe now the Opry will realize what they missed. He will be missed. I loved his music and singing more than anyone's. God's speed to You Jimmy. God bless the family.

Tim Saxton

ps. I wonder who will take care of the hounds?

Landgrass
May-15-2005, 1:46pm
I, too was introduced to Bluegrass with The Circle Album. Jimmy's singing inspired me to what was to be a 30 year love of the music. When you think of the losses of John Hartford, John Duffey and other greats, Jimmy Martin will be remembered with all of them as one of the greatest ever.
Rest in peace, King.