PDA

View Full Version : Martinet Banjo

Blue8204
Apr-25-2016, 7:17pm
I have a 4 sting 29 inch neck 12 inch drum in original alligator case I would say made in 50s was my great uncles from Tennessee would like know what it's worth

MikeEdgerton
Apr-25-2016, 9:27pm
I'll say the same thing on this thread I said on the other, please post some pictures.

Jim Garber
Apr-26-2016, 9:55am
Until the OP actually posts photos of his instrument...

I see this Martinet on this page (http://www.randolin.com/banjo/Pages/martinet.html). According to that site it was made by Slingerland.

145817 145818

MikeEdgerton
Apr-26-2016, 10:34am
I saw that too, that isn't from the 50's :)

I actually had that same pickguard on a 20's tenor. The braces were actually made out of bicycle spokes.

I have a Supertone tenor with that same pot setup.

Jim Garber
Apr-26-2016, 11:06am
I saw that too, that isn't from the 50's :)

I am not sure if the OP knows what era his is from either.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-26-2016, 2:03pm
I am not sure if the OP knows what era his is from either.

Yup, that's why I asked for pictures :)

Blue8204
Apr-26-2016, 8:15pm
I'm lost can't find the way to post oil

Blue8204
Apr-26-2016, 8:16pm
I've tried just can't find a way to post pics

MikeEdgerton
Apr-26-2016, 8:45pm
There are a few ways to do it. I click on the Go Advanced button below the reply message box, then select Manage Attachments, Then Add Files, browse and upload them. Then submit the reply.

Blue8204
May-08-2016, 9:25am
Hope this helps!

Blue8204
May-22-2016, 9:09am
Did you have a chance to look at the pics?

allenhopkins
May-22-2016, 12:00pm
Yeah, and they don't give much additional information, other than it looks like a 20th-century 19-fret tenor, decent but not top-end quality, in good condition as far as the pix reveal.

The super-comprehensive Mugwumps Index of American Fretted Musical Instrument Makers (http://www.mugwumps.com/AmerInstMkr.html) has no listing for "Martinet," and I'm not sure how the site Jim G links came up with the info that Slingerland made Martinet banjos. Very slim pickin's on the internet for "Martinet" in any musical instrument context.

Since your tenor banjo's a 19-fret, I'd say it's probably after 1925; before that point, most tenors were 17-fret. I tried to search images of banjo resonator flanges to find another with those round holes, and did find some Slingerlands that had similar flange hole patterns.

As to "what it's worth," it's not a well-known brand -- Gibson, Vega, Paramount, Bacon etc. -- and the tenor banjo market is a fairly limited one. Slingerland tenor banjos of mid-20th-century vintage, are listed for perhaps $300 or so, and Martinet's not even as well known a name as Slingerland. Trying to sell an obscure brand vintage instrument isn't easy, even though yours may be of good quality.

MikeEdgerton
May-22-2016, 6:04pm
It looks circa 1930's to me, might be a few years earlier. It's not from the 50's. It looks like it was setup left handed by the position of the armrest. The nut might have to be recut for right hand use if you are right handed. That faux flange with the holes was common on many instruments built for different retailers. Slingerland is as good a guess as any as to the builder and if it was playable and setup Allen's price is right about where it should be. The case looks decent.