PDA

View Full Version : mauer mandolins:larsons? what models?

ollaimh
Apr-24-2016, 10:58am
could people help me to know the identifying features of larson brother made mauer mandolins? and how many types and models were there? and any idea what they are worth in today's market?

allenhopkins
Apr-24-2016, 12:05pm
Big can of worms here. The Larson brothers worked for Maurer in the 1890's, and purchased the Maurer company, which was a music store that sold instruments from a variety of sources -- not only those built by Carl and August Larson -- in 1900. So instruments marked "Maurer" may or may not be Larson-built.

This recent thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?122174-Possible-Larson) goes into some detail, on different posters' opinions on how to ID a Larson instrument, as compared to other possible Chicago makers of the period. The Larsons had a frustrating policy of not signing the instruments they built, often not giving them serial numbers, and of making instruments for a variety of different labels: Maurer, Euphonon, Prairie State, Stetson, et. al.

There's lots of discussion, sometimes contradictory, on the web regarding Larson attribution. As to value, it's fair to say that a defensible ID of an instrument as "Larson," definitely enhances its value in today's market. A definitively Larson-made bowl-back, e.g., would get a "boost" of at least a couple hundred bucks over a similar Lyon & Healy. Whether this premium would be qualitatively deserved, the market's currently valuing the Larson name above other manufacturers.

As said, can of worms. The premium associated with Larson construction impels dealers to call anything labeled "Maurer" a Larson product. I've not seen definitive list of Maurer mandolin models; I haven't seen any listing at all! Maurer was selling mandolins before the Larsons went to work there, and probably sold other makers' products even after the Larsons bought the company. And every seller wants his/her instrument to be a "Larson." So lots of "maybes" out there.

Good luck.

ollaimh
Apr-24-2016, 4:30pm
on that thread they say larsons have a visible line of the frett board below the binding. what does that mean?

there is a local guy wanting to trade a mauer he says is a larson. i haven't seen it yet but i am wondering what to look for

Graham McDonald
Apr-24-2016, 5:35pm
It means that the fretboard binding is not the full depth or thickness of the fretboard. They machined a ledge into the edge of the fretboard and installed the binding, so maybe 1/32" of the fretboard is still visible below the binding. One can only imagine they saw some advantage in doing it that way.

Cheers

ollaimh
Apr-27-2016, 7:30pm
well if a mauer truned out to be a larson, would it be worth 1500 bucks? seems highish to me

allenhopkins
Apr-27-2016, 9:50pm
well if a mauer truned out to be a larson, would it be worth 1500 bucks? seems highish to me

A Maurer what? If you're talking bowl-back, definitely more than I'd think it'd get on the current market, unless it was a very fancy model.

Maurer guitar made by the Larsons would be multi-thousands.