PDA

View Full Version : Article: Roger Siminoff Announces Retirement

Mandolin Cafe
Apr-15-2016, 7:01am
You can view the page at http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content.php?236-Roger-Siminoff-Announces-Retirement

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145454&d=1460668558&stc=1 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content.php?236-Roger-Siminoff-Announces-Retirement)

dchernack
Apr-15-2016, 8:59am
A loss to the mandolin community at large... however, an enormous victory for those of us who like to pretend to know a thing or two about luthiery! Best of luck Mr. Siminoff.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Apr-15-2016, 11:05am
Congrats on the retirement and best of luck. Now I really wished I had gone to one of his build camps before.

JFDilmando
Apr-15-2016, 11:12am
Roger was my banjo instructor in NJ, back when I was a lad... I would travel over from Brooklyn on the train, and we would meet at a mutual friend's house.... first instructor I ever had that actually was able to teach this dolt anything. What he instilled in me helped send me on a musical trip that still continues.... the banjo was left by the wayside some years ago, but my mandolin fills the hours.... I hope he knows the wonderful impact he has had on many lives. He along with Doc MacLeod, who has passed, were instrumental in my development... and I am so very appreciative.

Thanks, Roger.... and an instrument case full of best wishes for you

Larry Simonson
Apr-15-2016, 11:22am
Roger's first edition of 'Building a Bluegrass Mandolin' which I bought 40 some years ago has been an inspiration to me and I am sure many others. For that I am very thankful. Roger was a pioneer in trying to unravel the complexity of mandolin mechanics with his 'Tech Talk' publication in Pickin' magazine in the 70's. While some may disagree with some of his theories, this is the normal course of events when difficult puzzles are being tackled. I wish him well and I thank him.

DataNick
Apr-15-2016, 11:53am
Congrats Roger! Hope to see you next year at The Great 48!

fscotte
Apr-15-2016, 4:45pm
Roger isn't vanishing, he's just closing the parts shop and perhaps the school. Looks like you'll be seeing more books and a DVD as well.

Michael Lewis
Apr-17-2016, 12:42am
We all owe a debt of gratitude to Roger for the trail he blazed for many of us. His mandolin construction book has given many of us fits of confusion, frustration, and finally we see the light and make our way around any and all obstacles in the way of making a great instrument.

It has been my great pleasure to know Roger and benefit from his special trove of knowledge, his participation in the Loar Fests held in Bakersfield, and his participation in the Luthiers Pavilion at the Calif. Bluegrass Assn. Father's Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley. The mandolin world is a better place because of Roger.

jonwints
Apr-17-2016, 6:07am
Roger,
You have made the right decision once more.
Retirement for you is just a new dynamic direction.
Best wishes from your Australian fan.
Warmest Regards,
J Wintle