PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Costello, The Oscars,

levin4now
Mar-04-2004, 12:54pm
We saw or heard about AK at the Oscars, but wasn't Elvis Costello backing up Annie Lennox and playing some big F-style looking guitar? I thought I've seen pics of a Gibson guitar like that on this site, but not sure. It was beat up that's for sure.

John Flynn
Mar-04-2004, 1:00pm
It was an old Gibson. Tone Rice played one on a cut on "Tone Poems," but I don't have the CD handy, so I can't look it up. BTW, it didn't look to me like Elvis was actually playing it, but more like pretending to play it.

Mar-04-2004, 1:38pm
Elvis Costello backed up Alison on a guitar like you describe on the second song she sang. Two from Cold Mountain were nominated.

Steve L
Mar-04-2004, 3:57pm
He was definitely playing it on the song with the shape note singers. You could hear him play a run on it near the end and it was insanely out of tune and sounded like a flatulent robot.

delsbrother
Mar-04-2004, 4:20pm
Oh no, not scroll style guitars again! I didn't see the oscars, but Elvis has always been fond of Gibson mandolins. I don't know if he plays mando, but I believe he has an F4, as well as several Ferrington custom made guitars that have mandolin scrolls. I'll try to see if I can find pics, they're pretty neat. I guess he broke down and bought a Style O...

BTW some people dispute that BBB photo (well not the photo itself, just whether he really played the Style O or if it was simply a photographer's prop... Kind of like Elvis at the Oscars!).

goldtopper
Mar-04-2004, 5:40pm
Gibson Style O.
Last one I saw was at Gruhns for 5K.
Saw Ronnie Wood play one too.
Kinda wierd and kinda cool.

Moose
Mar-05-2004, 12:16pm
Yeah.., yeah.., Elvis C.!! - Now.., if he would just get a decent hair-cut... hee.. hee.. - I use'da hear him many times on the Grand ole Opry... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

GVD
Mar-05-2004, 12:44pm
Wow I gotta lay off the booze. I thought it was some little bitty dude playing a six string mandolin.

GVD

Moose
Mar-05-2004, 1:11pm
Wrong channel.., maybe.?? - I know th' feelin'. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ShaneJ
Mar-05-2004, 2:22pm
He actually played that out-of-tune plunking at the end, but for most of the song he just stood there looking stupid wiggling his fingers a little, trying to look like he was actually playing something.

What a goof!