PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info about this Lyon and Healy Mandolin

bsquyres
Apr-14-2016, 1:04pm
Hello! This Lyon and Healy Mandolin has been in my family for 50+ years just collecting dust in the back of a closet. I think it's sad that it's gone unused and unappreciated all this time. I have done some research online and found similar models for sale for $3000+. That just seems a little inflated to me, but I don't know anything about vintage instruments. Or instruments in general. Unfortunately, I am not musically inclined, but I hate to see an instrument go so long without being played and enjoyed. I had considered donating it to a local group that provides instruments for kids, but a friend told me that it's probably worth too much to do that (however, I am still considering it as long as it goes to a kid that will love and appreciate it).

Before I make any decision on what to do with it, I was hoping to get some advice from you fine folks who definitely know more about these things than I. Can you tell me what style it is? I've seen others online that look similar saying they're "Style A" or "Style C" however the tag inside says "Style: Professional." Do anyone of you know what style mine is just from the pictures?

Also, I know that vintage instruments can be valued for far more than their market price. What would you say the value of this mandolin is and what would be a fair asking price? Also, what are the best forums to find a buyer who will love and appreciate it? And, do you think I'm foolish for wanting to donate it to a needy kid who would truely appreciate it and play their little heart out?

I don't know. What do you think I should do with it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

T.D.Nydn
Apr-14-2016, 1:15pm
I'm pretty sure that is the style "A" , asymmetrical body, looks to be in really great shape also,,,

Eric F.
Apr-14-2016, 1:43pm
It's got the violin headstock, which is the mark of the Style A. I think at one point (maybe all points, I don't know) it was called the Style A Professional. I don't think I've ever seen a Style A offered for less than $3,000.

That's a sweet mandolin. Why not learn to play it?

mrmando
Apr-14-2016, 2:17pm
Yes, it's a Style A Professional from the early 1920s in what appears to be fine original condition, and is worth about $4,000.

Lyon & Healy carved-top mandolins were developed specifically for playing classical music in mandolin orchestras; most people who play them regularly today are playing them in a mandolin orchestra context. They can also work for some folk, old-time and Celtic styles, but are not generally considered suitable for other popular types of mandolin music: country, bluegrass, pop, etc.

Donating it is a very generous thing to do. But I doubt your standard instruments-for-kids operation will have much success finding a kid who's an up-and-coming classical mandolinist and could properly appreciate this particular mandolin.

Lyon & Healys are somewhat delicate, and are prone to bad neck breaks because of the way they are built, so this isn't something I would give to a kid who doesn't have some experience caring for fragile instruments.

However, there's a program called Mando for Kids, which teaches children to play mandolin in a classical ensemble context. There are chapters in Baltimore and Seattle, and perhaps other places as well.

I can tell you for sure that the Seattle chapter of Mando for Kids is a nonprofit. It's connected to the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra, of which I am a member, and which is also a nonprofit. So either organization could give you a tax-deductible receipt should you choose to donate the instrument, and could put the instrument in the hands of an appreciative player, young or old.

If you want information on other orchestras or chapters of Mando for Kids, I can certainly try to get it for you.

You could always choose to sell the mandolin here in the Cafe Classifieds. You can set your own price, naturally, but as long as you can establish that it's in good shape and doesn't need any repairs, it should fetch as much as $4K.

Northwest Steve
Apr-14-2016, 3:38pm
The donation idea is great, but I would sell this one. They you could donate all or part of the proceeds towards instruments or a scholarship for lessons. That would be a very generous.

Beautiful mandolin by the way. Listing here in the classifieds would be a good start. Possibly put on consignment at a good high end shop would be my other suggestion.

peter.coombe
Apr-14-2016, 6:10pm
Yep, style A from the early 20's and looks to be in fine condition. The back looks a bit odd though, the varnish looks as if it has gone cloudy, but it might be reflections in the picture. Would need to see more pictures or the mandolin itself to be sure what is going on there. $3000 is definitely not inflated, these are very nice mandolins and I would be very happy to own one like your's. Asking price probably around $4000 or a bit less if the varnish has clouded. These mandolins are very difficult to find in such good condition so I don't think you will have any trouble selling it. I would not donate it to any kid unless the kid was an exceptionally gifted young mandolin player who appreciated what he has and would look after it. Most kids would trash it and that would be a great shame.

Bob A
Apr-14-2016, 9:58pm
The condition is so nice that, coupled with the somewhat strange color of the back, I'd wonder about (very professionally done) refinish, or perhaps some French polish. I can't determine whether there's any fret wear, which might tell us something.

But probably it's just been under the bed for 90 years.

JeffD
Apr-14-2016, 11:39pm
The back of mine looks very similar to that.

Billy Packard
Apr-18-2016, 12:03am
Lovely Mandolin by the pictures.
You could sell it and buy ten worthy student level instruments to donate and leave your mandolin with a player who would treasure it.
Like ME! Please call me,
Billy Packard
eight three one 588 two seven 38
billypackardmandolin.com

colorado_al
Apr-18-2016, 7:25am
I agree. Sell it to someone who will take care of it and buy 10 Kentucky KM150 mandolins and donate them. They are fine instruments and any student would be well served with one. I bet Dennis @ the Mandolin Store will make you a good deal on a bulk purchase, especially if you tell him the story behind it and that you're donating the instruments.

https://themandolinstore.com/product/kentucky-km-150-mandolin-with-gig-bag/

EdHanrahan
Apr-18-2016, 8:46am
I believe there had ben discussion here about two different scale lengths, but I don't recall if the odd one was longer or shorter than the common 13 7/8". As best I remember, the longer one was more desirable.

That got my attention because I'd salivated over one in a small shop in Rockland, ME. In very nice condition, they were asking $3.500.

mrmando
Apr-18-2016, 1:03pm
This is a later, short-scale mandolin (13"). The transition from long scale to short happened around 1921, more or less concurrent with the change from symmetrical to asymmetrical points.

If I'm not mistaken, the neck length is the same on both instruments. On a long-scale mandolin, the neck/body joint is at the 10th fret. On a short-scale mandolin (as with this one), it's at the 11th fret, because the frets are closer together.

Which scale is more desirable depends on who's doing the desiring, I suppose. If you have a background in classical violin and want to play mandolin as well, then you want a 13" instrument because it's the same as the standard violin scale.

If this instrument were donated to a Mando for Kids chapter, for example, it might well end up being sold to an orchestra musician in order to finance the purchase of several student-level instruments. But in that scenario, the educators would be the ones to decide how many of which instrument to purchase -- which might work out better if, say, they wanted X mandolins and Y mandolas, and had an arrangement with a particular supplier to buy instruments at an education discount.

Glassweb
Apr-18-2016, 2:53pm
the back of this mandolin looks correct to me. i have seen a number of them with that sort of "cocoa" colored finish... nothing appears to be out of order on this one... nice axe!

Timbofood
Apr-18-2016, 6:32pm
Very cool find indeed, my family didn't have anything instrument wise very interesting. You can find a buyer, use the funds for something that will bring joy to you and others if you feel the need. Don't be in a rush, these find happy buyers here pretty regularly. Happy sellers too as far as I know.
But, should you feel that a hundred bucks be a less "inflated price" let me know right now!:grin: