PDA

View Full Version : Loar 520 vs Loar 600 for beginner/intermediate

Delaware
Apr-13-2016, 7:42am
Quick question for you all:
I am a new player and used to own a The Loar LM 600 which I had to sell for financial reasons. I am now in the market for another low cost quality F ( please no A suggestions: I have an Epiphone MM40 and just feel the F balances better in my hands) and I have a chance to buy a LM 520 which is set up nice, Florida scooped and bridge refitted. When I had the 600 it sounded nice, but I don't think at my level I was proficient enough to get the full sound out of it.

Ok so my question is... In beginner/intermediate hands, will there be much sound difference between the nicely setup/modded 520 and a new well setup 600?

I don't jam or play in a band, just noodle at home

multidon
Apr-13-2016, 8:48am
I don't believe there will be much if any difference in sound. The main differences between the 2 seem to be cosmetic. The 600 has fancier headstock inlay and better flamed wood, but neither of those affect sound. The 520 could be a good deal for you if the work was done competently.

Northwest Steve
Apr-13-2016, 9:45am
Are you able to play it in person before purchasing? If not you might want to contact The Mandolin Store, they have some blems for $400 and the would be setup. They should also have a return privilege.

Folkmusician.com
Apr-13-2016, 10:06am
I will have to respectfully disagree with Don on this. :)

Basic build quality/fit and finish, and playability will be the same. The mandolins are not identical, but they are close enough in these areas.

Based purely on specs, you see some cosmetic differences, the tuners (both good), and the finish (poly vs nitro).

What you don't see is that these are not the same underlying mandolin. The 520, 590 and 500 are the same. The 600 and 700 are both unique. Better woods on the 600 (not just cosmetically) If you take measurements, the bodies differ slightly, and the arching is not the same. They do differ in tone. The 600 is louder, with more depth and sustain. It is very noticeable if you play them back to back.

I do feel the 520 is the single best F-model at the price point, but if tone is important, the 600 is worth the upgrade.

Richard J
Apr-13-2016, 2:17pm
Look/play a Loar LM-590... it's great F style mandolin. Bought one a year ago & love it.

multidon
Apr-13-2016, 3:02pm
Certainly did not know all these details Robert. I defer to your superior knowledge of these products!

Delaware
Apr-13-2016, 3:49pm
Mr Fear,
Do you think the difference will be realized by a mediocre player?
Thanks!

Folkmusician.com
Apr-13-2016, 4:32pm
It really depends on your ear, but odds are that you will hear the difference.

Will the improved tone make you sound better as a player? Not really, the LM-520 sounds fine and is in no way going to limit you as a player.

Will the LM-600 be more enjoyable for you? Hard to say. If you like to pick on the mandolin and really analyze the tone, then yes. If you are more interested in your playing as long as the mandolin sounds presentable, then the 520 is perfect. :)

Delaware
Apr-13-2016, 5:27pm
Which one will automatically make me sound like Chris Thile? Ah not even me playing HIS Mandolin would make that happen! Lol thank you all for your input

Folkmusician.com
Apr-13-2016, 6:55pm
I think that is the beer factor.... the more you (or your audience) consumes, the better you sound! At least that is how it works for me. I just hope it wasn't being recorded for future evidence to the contrary!

Pur480
Apr-15-2016, 2:33pm
^^^ Same here :-)

Mr5150
Apr-15-2016, 5:08pm
I have to be honest. As an owner of a 520, if I had to do it over again I would have gone with the 600. This was my first mandolin and I bought based on Internet recommendations. Nearest real mandolin shop is a three hour drive. I like the way the the 520 plays and the quality is fine. But I find myself feeling the tone is OK, but not something I really like. Plan to replace it come January-birthday month. Then I heard what the 600 sounded like and thought to myself, had I bought the 600 I would not have this plan to replace the instrument so soon.

Side note. I got the instrument thru Folkmusician and highly recommend doing business with that outfit

cayuga red
Apr-16-2016, 6:52am
I have to be honest. As an owner of a 520, if I had to do it over again I would have gone with the 600. This was my first mandolin and I bought based on Internet recommendations. Nearest real mandolin shop is a three hour drive. I like the way the the 520 plays and the quality is fine. But I find myself feeling the tone is OK, but not something I really like. Plan to replace it come January-birthday month. Then I heard what the 600 sounded like and thought to myself, had I bought the 600 I would not have this plan to replace the instrument so soon.

Side note. I got the instrument thru Folkmusician and highly recommend doing business with that outfit

Properly set up, a Loar LM 600 VS is a pro-level mandolin. Sarah Church tours with her 600 VS.

Loubrava
Apr-17-2016, 8:42am
i ended up with the 600 after playing the 520 and a few other brands in same price range as the 520. I'm new to the mando world and have not heard enough different mandos to have a real knowledgeable opinion but I've had the 600 at a few jams and some seasoned players were real impressed with 600. As I progress with my playing I'm more and more pleased with the 600 defiantly no regrets in spending a little more money on it.

Delaware
Apr-18-2016, 7:46am
I am buying an upgraded Loar 600 with Cumberland bridge and scooped Florida. Can't wait!

dreadhead
Apr-23-2016, 9:09am
I used to own a Loar 600 and it was a great mandolin. The only reason I sold it was because I moved up to a Collings MT2. The guy that bought mine had just sold his Gibson A9 because he wasn't satisfied with the tone...he much preferred the tone of the Loar 600.

Barry Wilson
Apr-23-2016, 11:02am
Once I stripped that ultra thick finish off the 600, it just warmed right up. Now if only my playing was up to the instrument quality

Folkmusician.com
Apr-24-2016, 8:24pm
There are some reasonably big touring acts using the LM-600 (I know because I supplied them). I have heard from who knows how many people now that ordered an LM-600 and called after they received it and told me the tone was just as good or better than their (insert expensive name here) mandolin. Now I am not saying that they sound as good as the best mandolins out there, but they do sound as good as many of the "average" high dollar instruments.

MPrickett
Apr-30-2016, 3:22pm
The only thing I have to add if anyone cares. I was looking for another mandolin, never had a Loar, so I bought the 600, ordered one and got it a few days ago. The mandolin is nice with a pleasant tone. Well built mandolin. the wider neck suits me fine. But what I didn't know before I bought it is that the frets are really large, odd feeling, and more string tension than my Kentucky, Which I do not like. But I am sending it to Rosa String Works this week to have smaller frets put on, and set it up. I think then I will really be pleased with it. I am assuming this large fret is typical of a Loar.

pops1
Apr-30-2016, 3:34pm
I don't think it is typical of the Loar, my 520 does not have a wide neck nor big frets. I think it may be typical of the Loar 600

Sean Donlon
Apr-30-2016, 4:19pm
As one who has never played the 600, I cant say anything about it. I can tell you in my limited experience as one who has both have the Loar 520 and the Loar 400 - A style.. I would pick the 400 over the 520 . This would also save you a few shekels.

Folkmusician.com
Apr-30-2016, 8:07pm
All of the Loar's use .080 fret wire. It is larger that average, but not the largest out there. The trend seems to be heading toward larger frets lately. The new Kentuckys have larger frets now as well (not quite as large as The Loar).

Now string tension, is simply a result of string gauge and scale length. It is probably more difficult to fret due to high action, but it wouldn't have higher string tension (unless you have different string gauges on the mandolins).

I would give the current frets a chance, but do get a good setup.

MPrickett
May-01-2016, 9:56am
I use the same strings, I disagree on the "string" tension, as I'm calling it. The pressure, or the add discomfort coming from the strings. Is, due to the strings being father away from the fret board do to the height of the frets. The action is very low across the frets, something I was pleased with. Any how When you slide across the frets, your finger hit across each fret, cause there so tall, not very comfortable to me. Any how each to his own, and what your used to playing on. for me those frets are coming out. And I'm alittle sadden to here Kentucky is moving to larger ones. I guess I'll wait and see.

darrylicshon
May-01-2016, 11:11am
Most people seem to like the larger frets, i guess I'm lucky i like small and larger. Does your other mandolin have a flat or radius fret board the 600 has a flat one

MPrickett
May-01-2016, 11:33am
I am talking about a 600, so yes it is flat.