PDA

View Full Version : anyone handled/played one of these Northfield Octave mandolins?

darylcrisp
Apr-08-2016, 7:09pm
beautiful!
in sound and appearance.

email is in to the NF home office, but will be a few days to get an answer with the weekend.

anyone here play one of these yet?

d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMs4tvl7oY

bigskygirl
Apr-08-2016, 9:15pm
They are beauties! Wonder if they will ever be in shops or it will be custom orders...?

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-09-2016, 2:25am
From bigskygirl - "Wonder if they will ever be in shops or it will be custom orders...? ". I asked the same question a few weeks back in another thread,but it seems nobody had any info. Let's hope Daryl's enquiry will ellicit some,
Ivan;)

Grommet
Apr-09-2016, 1:12pm
Awesome playing and tone! I must say I like what I am seeing with GOMs these days.

Scott

Emmett Marshall
Apr-10-2016, 1:38am
Dang..to my ear, that sounds very near (tone-wise) to my Weber OM and Emory Lester is such an awesome and amazing artist. I could get lost in some of his music easily. The Northfield sounds perhaps just a tad bit "brighter" overall than the Weber, but with a "Youtube" recording - who can be totally sure of that, so I wonder what the scale length is? I also wonder what price point they are going to be in?

pheffernan
Apr-10-2016, 6:59am
I also wonder what price point they are going to be in?

I heard that they're starting at $3800, and though the specs are still being worked out, several interested parties have already placed deposits.

Lord of the Badgers
Apr-10-2016, 8:05am
Time to sell the furniture! WANT...!

darylcrisp
Apr-11-2016, 11:17am
update from NF regarding these:

We are expecting the first few octave mandolins to be going out the door in about two months.
We are about to add a page to our website that will go over the specs and pricing.

We are making two variations, a Mahogany back, sides, and neck version, and a maple back, sides, and neck version.
scale length: 22”
nut: 1 and 3/8”

octaves are starting at $3800
they are excepting deposits now, if interested contact:

Peter Bagale
585-233-1104
Northfield Instruments

foldedpath
Apr-11-2016, 7:27pm
scale length: 22”

Kudos to Northfield for spec'ing the first batch at 22" scale. I know there are people who like a 20"scale on these things, but based on my experience with a 22" scale Weber OM, I think that's the sweet spot for an octave mandolin. More sustain, more volume (potentially) than a shorter scale.

That is, if your hands can handle it, and I know there's a market for shorter scales. It wouldn't surprise me if they offered a shorter scale option later on. But I think this is the best starting point to show what the instrument can do.

bigskygirl
Apr-14-2016, 11:58pm
On the list! Should have #4 by end of summer...! :mandosmiley:

Mark Wilson
Apr-15-2016, 8:11am
wow - congrats bigskygirl!!

side question(s) if someone knows:
what is the black band across the strings above the nut at 1:41?

Is that standard octave tuning he's using?

so nice - I like it!!!

Jim_G
Apr-15-2016, 8:30am
side question(s) if someone knows:
what is the black band across the strings above the nut at 1:41?

Good eye! You see that sort of thing occasionally with fingerstyle guitar players. Leo Kottke has done it, and Antoine Dufour has this ridiculous scarf tied near the nut of his instruments that is supposed to be there for the same functional reason. Apparently you can get some unwanted harmonics when you strike the strings in a certain way, and it's more common when there's alot of distance between the bridge and the tail piece. I never understood the theory, or why trying to damp past the nut helps. I can't say I've ever even noticed the overtones. Maybe that's we're seeing in that video.

trevor
Apr-16-2016, 2:14am
I have one on order.

From Peter.

"The octave mandolins are still in the beginning stages with the first batch not complete yet. I expect us to get the first few in the middle of summer, but the first few batches are already sold out."

ukrobbiej
Apr-16-2016, 3:05am
I have one on order.

Which version are you getting Trevor? Would be very interested in the mahogany version :)

trevor
Apr-16-2016, 3:12am
Nothing decided yet.

darylcrisp
Apr-28-2016, 5:31pm
well, two of my friends are in line for late summer, autumn builds.

these sure look and sound nice!

d

Jim Cariello
Jun-14-2016, 11:47pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmKVSRAEbQ

Bill McCall
Jun-15-2016, 12:23am
Emory Lester brought it to ROW last week. very pretty and very wonderful sound. And he's pretty good guy to show what it can do too:)

Roman Pekar
Jun-16-2016, 2:37am
BTW, there's already a page on NF site + couple more videos

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/mandolins/archtop-octave

cbakewell
Jun-16-2016, 4:08am
Awesome!

I would definitely need the shorter scale one though - my little hobbit hands and non-bendy wrists need catering for :(

LBob
Mar-03-2017, 11:43am
On the list! Should have #4 by end of summer...! :mandosmiley:

I'm assuming you got this by now?

Curious on thoughts from you or anyone who has one. I've been looking at octaves, and sound wise after combing youtube, this seems to be vastly better sounding (to my tastes) than anything else I'm seeing out there.

Hesitating on ordering one just because I really try to avoid buying new instruments - every time I do I end up losing a ton of money a year later... I'm fairly confident I wouldn't want to move this if I had one, but I'd still really rather buy used (so if anyone has one and wants to move it, I'm your guy).

ogredog
Mar-14-2017, 10:01am
Just received a mahogany OM last Thursday...

Being primarily a guitar player for the past 40 years, I have only dabbled with 4 or 5 different f-style mandolins over the years, but had issues with my large hands fitting the fret spacing... could be lack of talent as well :)

This OM feels like home already...

Playability, sound, looks, fit and finish... even the case are all top-notch!

Although I have only played Led Zeppelin covers and other folk type songs, this OM has got me picking out tunes by Sarah Jarosz and coming up with song ideas to utilize it more...

I am thoroughly and completely satisfied with my purchase...

Thanks to all of you here who have provided information, first-hand experience, photos and testimonials that made my decision easier to make.

chris

ogredog
Mar-14-2017, 10:03am
especially bigskygirl and darylcrisp !
thanks so much!

tmsweeney
Feb-11-2024, 8:02am
I inquired about ordering one, they are not taking orders currently (they have enough builds to cover for the time), so I am on a waiting list to order,

I guess "in demand" processing is a new normal for mandolin factories.

pheffernan
Feb-11-2024, 10:46am
I inquired about ordering one, they are not taking orders currently (they have enough builds to cover for the time), so I am on a waiting list to order.

Why wait?

https://www.elderly.com/products/northfield-workshop-mahogany-archtop-octave-mandolin-with-case

M19
Feb-11-2024, 1:48pm
Perhaps he wants the all-maple version. Gryphon has a mahogany one too.