PDA

View Full Version : Stahl bowlback on ebay, and the inevitable question . . .

Scot63
Apr-06-2016, 10:49am
I just noticed this rather sad-looking Stahl mandolin (at least the wood looks rather sad, though nothing obvious about the condition makes it seem like it couldn't be played) on ebay. I'm sure you know the inevitable question—could it be a Larson Brothers product? Neck collar looks Larsonesque, but do the dual tuner plates suggest Regal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/281982618906?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

plinkey
Apr-06-2016, 11:18am
Many bb mandolins with no (or only a few) strings, look promising.:cool: That eBay mandolin looks like it was well crafted.

I can't tell Larson from Amati, however, a bigger question for me is if that mandolin's provenance, bi it one or another, is likely to make any difference in the mandolin sound ? Granted, assuming that one has convincing indications that the Larsons made the mandolin, that would add to its resale value.

Scot63
Apr-06-2016, 7:06pm
To clarify, it doesn't have a bridge, which would make it difficult to play. :)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-06-2016, 7:37pm
It resale value even if it a Larson in that condition is not a whole lot. That's not a deluxe presentation model with a whole lot trim. It's a beat bowlback.

Jim Garber
Apr-06-2016, 9:21pm
I agree 100% with Mike. I tend to lean the other way unless someone can truly prove it to be Larson-made. Besides, Larson bowl backs are still bowl backs, meaning in the marketplace are worth not much. In general the guitars are really the only thing that are truly worth big bucks. Even the flatback mandolins may be worth more with that attribution are still not worth that much more that the same one without.

brunello97
Apr-06-2016, 11:26pm
What strikes me as odd is that in most, if not all, of these "is it a Larson" threads and discussions is how infrequently (if at all) does the discussion turn to how the supposed / real / imagined Larson mandolins actually sound.

This looks about as bowl ordinaire as anything rolling in from the '00s. If the LarBros pumped this one out, then they were as equally capable of making MOR mandolins as they were apparently able to make wonderful guitars.

I had a student model Martin bowlback (an 00, iirc) for awhile that sounded very very good. I've had fancier Washburns and L+H labeled bowls that sounded leaden.

I wish for the day when the inevitable, unending LarBros speculations hinge on their sound and playable and not on vague, uncorroborated, fanciful or fantasy attributions based on internet rumor or Bob Hartman's loose cannon of a book.

Mick

MikeEdgerton
Apr-07-2016, 7:49am
I wish for the day when the inevitable, unending LarBros speculations hinge on their sound and playable and not on vague, uncorroborated, fanciful or fantasy attributions based on internet rumor or Bob Hartman's loose cannon of a book.

Agreed.