PDA

View Full Version : Fancy De Cristofaro bowlback mando on eBay

plinkey
Apr-06-2016, 9:48am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252342281291?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Four days till the auction ends, the current bid is relatively moderate given that the mandolin appears to be in a pretty good condition, fully original, and it is a rather fancy model of theirs.

I consulted an MC member ("Tavy") who's got the experience with that maker, and he said some good things about the De Cristofaro he had/worked on.
My main concerns about that particular mandolin are related to the tuning machine functioning, and also any neck/FB distortions. If it would turn out to be an easily playable and nicely sounding instrument, then going to several hundred dollars might be worth it. So I am thinking about it.

If you have any first hand experience with the maker, please share, and if you could post some pictures of your De Cristofaro mandolin that would be even better.

brunello97
Apr-07-2016, 10:38pm
Personally, I'm with John. I don't think Cristofaro gets the love that they probably deserve. The exuberance of their design makes them seem to me like a cross between the Stile Floreal of Calace and some kookiness out of Katania.

It appeals to my eye, but I understand it not to be to everyone's taste. But they appear very thoughtful and well made as a whole. I would hope they find their way into the higher second tier of Italian mandolins from this era. But I think their looks scare some folks off.

I have one Cristofaro, very MOR in quality, that I bought as a repair project. The bowl looked like an exploded cigar when I got it. I coaxed it back together and into playable but any photos of my repair work would not be for the nervous. It sounds and plays quite nicely with a more substantial bass and midrange than I have experienced from similar quality Italian bowls. Not as bright and shimmering on the highs. Plays nicely with a nice neck profile for my big hands and good projection.

The action on this one looks un po' sketchioso to my eye, though from the photos it is a bit hard to gauge.

Mick

plinkey
Apr-08-2016, 4:07am
Thank you Mick. Alas, the current bidding on that De Cristofaro is pushing its price beyond my budget.

Tavy
Apr-08-2016, 12:54pm
Thank you Mick. Alas, the current bidding on that De Cristofaro is pushing its price beyond my budget.

Me too - I really hadn't expected it to go anything like that high!

plinkey
Apr-08-2016, 1:02pm
Me too - I really hadn't expected it to go anything like that high!

John, I think there are a few folks in Europe now (Italy ?) who have been trying lately to skim all better bb mandolins off eBay, come hell or high water.
I sure ain't going into that bidding competition/marathon. :grin: