PDA

View Full Version : no mandolin content but check out the bass

Charles E.
Apr-04-2016, 6:44pm
In addition to playing mandolin I also play upright bass. I know a number of you also play upright and this guy is a hoot!

https://archive.org/details/0810_Unid_Soundie_Juvenile_Jubilee_04_14_55_00

Kowboy
Apr-04-2016, 7:18pm
The guy truly is a hoot. I flirted with buying an upright this winter past, but, put it on the back burner for now. I was planning on getting an Engelhard from Freewill Bass of Staunton, Virginia. Not putting it completely off, just doing quite a bit of wife pleasing at the moment. Thanks for the video.

chuck3
Apr-04-2016, 7:31pm
In addition to playing mandolin I also play upright bass. I know a number you also play upright and this guy is a hoot!

https://archive.org/details/0810_Unid_Soundie_Juvenile_Jubilee_04_14_55_00

ah ha ha ... I also play upright, and that guy is a hoot! This is going right over to the bass player website I also frequent ...

Jim Garber
Apr-04-2016, 7:36pm
I have seen this video before, possibly even on this site. IIRC some posted that their mother was one of the marimba players. In fact, I think they had transferred recordings to a CD. I may even have bought one.

Also, note that all the instruments appear to be lefty and the bass player is playing lefty too. I think the film was converted in reverse.

jaycat
Apr-04-2016, 7:48pm
I have seen this video before, possibly even on this site. IIRC some posted that their mother was one of the marimba players. In fact, I think they had transferred recordings to a CD. I may even have bought one.

Also, note that all the instruments appear to be lefty and the bass player is playing lefty too. I think the film was converted in reverse.

I'm at that age too, where I might have seen the video before, and I might have bought the CD, and somebody might have been somebody's mother . . .

foldedpath
Apr-05-2016, 5:57pm
Aside from the great bass and marimba (visually, at least), it's an interesting demonstration of how a film stage mic worked back then.

You can't hear the bass at all until it moves up close to the lead marimba guy, right underneath the overhead stage mic. He's working that bass harder, but he's also closer to the mic. And that mic (probably a single ribbon mic) is a lot further away than what we'd use now, which is why they called these things "sound stages" to make them dead quiet for ambient noise.

No wireless mics and multitrack recording back then. It must have been a tough gig for a sound engineer.

(/end PA and recording geekery)

chuck3
Apr-11-2016, 9:08pm
posted this on the DB side of Talkbass and a TB'er identified Frank DeNunzio, Sr. as the bass player, and the band as Reg Kehoe and the Marimba Queens. Frank Sr. lived a very long life and died not all that long ago. Here's his obit ... obviously a guy who loved his gigs on the upright:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10508416

mtucker
Apr-12-2016, 8:59am
Mandolin content. Contrast and compare Split Lip's bass player. I want one of these...I'd never have to worry about running out of gas...:))
Oe3uZCwHJDk

Jeff Mando
Apr-12-2016, 9:12am
Mandolin content. Contrast and compare Split Lip's bass player. I want one of these...I'd never have to worry about running out of gas...:))

Very cool bass, indeed! But, I made the mistake of picturing it half full of gas and now I can't get the "smell" out of my nose............not to mention the potential mess of spillage and of course, the fire hazard at venues! ;)

oldwave maker
Apr-14-2016, 1:25pm
I was inspired to build after seeing Jeffs truck gastank bass at telluride, but like the tone better with my pontiac t-1000 body, must be the size of the lightning bolt f holes........

Gerry Cassidy
Apr-14-2016, 4:59pm
That video is very cool! I am not so certain it isn't dubbed as the walking bass line is still present when he is doing his slapping thing... By the way, who say's Larry Graham invented slap bass? :grin:

I hauled around a doghouse back from somewhere around 5th grade performance band, on up through my early career. I had to stand on a step stool the first couple of years to be able to play in correct position. Crazy!

I'm playing something more along the lines of those "Gassers" these days. Although, not quite as hip. :mandosmiley::)

This one was the first build I had from Steve Azola. I had a second built for me and still play it. They don't replace a doghouse, but they can "Play one on television" as they say.

Don Grieser
Apr-14-2016, 7:32pm
I'm glad I live on the planet at the same time as Bill Bussmann. :cool:

mtucker
Apr-15-2016, 8:08am
I was inspired to build after seeing Jeffs truck gastank bass at telluride, but like the tone better with my pontiac t-1000 body, must be the size of the lightning bolt f holes........

OMG...priceless..the bottom end GM reso-blaster, w/ attachments! ...beer caddy and converse all star included! Off to Bonneville!!

Kowboy
Apr-22-2016, 3:53pm
I had posted earlier that I was considering a Bass purchase, Well Opportunity knocked and I opened the door. Got an Engelhardt that was prepared by Fretwell's out of Staunton, Va. It's a 2012 EC1. Had my son and grandson over last night and had a ball w/ it. My G-son plays a bass and my son was on guitar. Life is good in a musical family.