PDA

View Full Version : Keep or sell?

johes
Apr-03-2016, 7:17pm
I'm thinking of selling my Breedlove Premier FF. Since Breedlove no longer makes mandolins in the US, is it possible that it could increase in value and maybe I should keep it?

JeffD
Apr-03-2016, 7:19pm
Why are you selling it?

johes
Apr-03-2016, 7:20pm
My small hands don't like the neck. Am I overthinking this?

JeffD
Apr-03-2016, 7:46pm
I would say there is no reason to save a mandolin that you are not enjoying playing.

Mandolins are not investments, their near term future prices are much harder to predict than stocks, which are hard enough.

I would say you should make your decision on whether you ant to own that mandolin or not. And if you don't enjoy playing it, I can't think of a reason to own it.

johes
Apr-03-2016, 8:14pm
I would say there is no reason to save a mandolin that you are not enjoying playing.

Mandolins are not investments, their near term future prices are much harder to predict than stocks, which are hard enough.

I would say you should make your decision on whether you ant to own that mandolin or not. And if you don't enjoy playing it, I can't think of a reason to own it.

Thanks, I'm in no hurry to sell so I'll think on it a while longer.

Roger Moss
Apr-03-2016, 8:25pm
Unless you need the money there is no reason to sell it so quickly. Sit on it a while. Once you sell it you can't get it back

johes
Apr-03-2016, 8:33pm
Very true. I've been bitten by seller's remorse before. I'm going to make it a point to play it more before I decide, too.

Paul Busman
Apr-04-2016, 7:50am
Very true. I've been bitten by seller's remorse before. I'm going to make it a point to play it more before I decide, too.

Good idea. Play it exclusively for a few weeks and see if you don't adjust to the neck. I've had many instruments over the years, all sorts, that I didn't really care for at first but with time came to like a lot.

colorado_al
Apr-04-2016, 2:44pm
I sold my Breedlove quartz and have not missed it too much. I too had a tough time with the larger neck. I have since found several great mandolins that fit me much better and my playing/learning has accelerated since buying one that fits me better.
As far as value, I don't think it has increased, and might actually have decreased, since the Chinese made Breedlove Crossover FF is getting good reviews and can be purchased for $700 or less. I think you're going to find it hard to sell for a whole lot more than that based on the USA made aspect. I'd bet $900 tops these days, unless it has any customization (cast tailpiece, pickup, etc.) but you will not recoup the cost of those upgrades when you sell either.

Steve Ostrander
Apr-04-2016, 2:55pm
Hmmm......Grip it or Flip it......

Bill Kammerzell
Apr-04-2016, 5:18pm
I'm thinking of selling my Breedlove Premier FF. Since Breedlove no longer makes mandolins in the US, is it possible that it could increase in value and maybe I should keep it?

I have owned a Premier OF for a little over a week and it is by far the nicest instrument I have owned. I've had some good mandolins along the way also. Loar LM600, Eastman MD515, and MD504 (still own). Kentucky KM700 (still have). For me it beats them all in playability, sustain, volume, finish work, and feel. If I move up from here its going to be in the domestic made product line, like Weber or Collings. I've liked most of the Pac Rim stuff I've had, this just surpasses them all (of what I have owned).
It could be the love at first sight syndrome, but its awfully good. (I hope its as good for the mandolin as it is for me). ;)
I don't have large hands but the neck size doesn't bother me, as its got a radiused finger board. That for me helps so much with having some arthritis in two fingers (middle, index) of my left hand. I like the way it looks also. It isn't as odd looking as some of the Breedloves I've seen.