PDA

View Full Version : Places to see a real instrument store in Nashville? Memphis?

John Garcia
Apr-03-2016, 12:21pm
I'll be travelling to these cities in the next 2 weeks. I'd love to visit some real mandolin/instrument stores in that time.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Eric F.
Apr-03-2016, 12:22pm
Nashville has Carter's, Gruhn and Cotten. That should do. No idea what's in Memphis these days, other than Central BBQ, where you should eat.

Russ Jordan
Apr-03-2016, 1:03pm
I sure enjoyed my visit to Carter's!

UsuallyPickin
Apr-03-2016, 1:56pm
If you have any interest in fiddles The Nashville Violin Shop is on the same street as Carter's and Gruhn's. Enjoy your visit. R/

Phil Goodson
Apr-03-2016, 4:15pm
Carter Vintage is NOT TO BE MISSED! You'll be in heaven! I spent over 6 hours there one day in February. And would have returned the next day if I'd had the time.
Gruhn also good.
Cotton Music: much smaller, with limited stock.

Check their web pages for info and inventory.

Marcus CA
Apr-03-2016, 5:30pm
It's not a store, but when you're in Nashville, you should definitely go into the Ryman Auditorium, if it's open, just to look around. It's hallowed ground.

Jeff Mando
Apr-04-2016, 9:49am
Memphis has always been weak for mandolin shopping. The two well-known vintage dealers, Pyramid Guitars and Rod and Hank's Vintage Guitars have long been closed. Martin Music is a big dealer for PRS guitars. There is a uke shop across the street from Central BBQ. And, there is a Guitar Center. A couple used music stores might have the occasional mandolin, but it is rare. If you like pawn shops, Memphis probably has more than any city in the country................again, unlikely you will find a quality mandolin...........so, probably not worth a trip to Memphis for mandolin shopping alone...........

OTOH, great musical history and stuff to see in Memphis, tour Sun Studio, Stax Museum, Graceland, and Gibson Guitar Factory. The food is fantastic in Memphis, Central BBQ, Interstate BBQ, and Rendevous BBQ. Also great Indian food and Vietnamese food.

An old quote I remember from Steve Earle, was something to the effect that he would get an urge for Memphis BBQ and drive from Nashville to Memphis, stop at Interstate BBQ, then turn around and drive straight back to Nashville. (400 mile round trip) !!!