PDA

View Full Version : My Hester A5..light in the tunnel

ash89
Apr-02-2016, 7:42pm
I recently received these pics of the progress of my next mando.
As a vast understatement, I don't think there'd be much argument anywhere about Gail's artisanship.
She's nailed my preferred colouring to the 't'..
So naturally getting pretty excited. :)

French polishing and curing process yet to come...
so, more time yet, but what a beauty it'll be..

F-2 Dave
Apr-02-2016, 10:09pm
Beautiful sunburst. Beautiful mandolin.

Glassweb
Apr-02-2016, 10:12pm
i believe it says "The Hester"... although part may be covered up by tape.

F-2 Dave
Apr-02-2016, 11:35pm
Yep. I came to the same conclusion after studying the picture for a while. Thanks, though.

ash89
Apr-03-2016, 3:02am
here's an unfinished detail of the headstock..
while the fleur-de-lis was a little staid for me, i still love irises...

gail fortunately agreed to do it..

it's going to shine when it's polished off..

red7flag
Apr-03-2016, 3:45am
Funny my friend Tony (we are both Tonys and both have the same initials ASH) and I both are big Hester fans. He helped nurse me through the waiting process for my Hester F4. That is a beauty Tony. I am happy for you, my friend. Just a little longer...right?

ash89
Apr-03-2016, 5:17am
thanks tony,
yes the process is still ongoing, but there's tangible light in the tunnel.
this one was in gestation for a time, so it's fun now seeing it come together.

after three years, your 4 must be bedding down nicely..
if it's anything like mine (#26), it's totally world class!
you will be amazed with it in another year or three..

gail simply has got an awesome talent..

pheffernan
Apr-03-2016, 8:07am
A Hester A5 is a rare and wonderful thing, Tony. I'm glad too see that your patience is being rewarded!

ash89
Apr-03-2016, 3:11pm
A Hester A5 is a rare and wonderful thing, Tony. I'm glad too see that your patience is being rewarded!

~o)

Phil Goodson
Apr-03-2016, 3:54pm
Is that a Dave Apollon style fingerboard extension? Cool. I seldom get to that altitude!
Gorgeous mandolin. Lucky guy.

ash89
Apr-03-2016, 4:31pm
Is that a Dave Apollon style fingerboard extension?

i believe it's a tilt to the original Loar Griffith's A5.

from memory, it's been scooped after 22..

Phil Goodson
Apr-05-2016, 5:18pm
Is that a Dave Apollon style fingerboard extension? Cool. I seldom get to that altitude!
Gorgeous mandolin. Lucky guy.

ash89: "i believe it's a tilt to the original Loar Griffith's A5.
from memory, it's been scooped after 22.."

I was referring to the picture showing one missing fret. Apparently Apollon had one fret removed just before the high note he frequently used on the extension to help him finger it cleanly. :)

ash89
Apr-05-2016, 9:04pm
No, nothing as urbane as that mate. It was just temporarily not located at the time of the photo by the artist.

ash89
Oct-16-2016, 2:56am
well, the tunnel ended up being pretty long,
with a few detours, but finally got out into the sunshine...

just thought i'd post these few happy snaps to show it off..
they don't do it justice really..
but it's gorgeous, and rings like a bell.

:cool:

Mandoplumb
Oct-16-2016, 5:00am
Congrates on a beautiful mandolin, many happy years picking it.

Ron McMillan
Oct-16-2016, 5:11am
Very handsome. Worth the wait, I'd say.

ash89
Oct-16-2016, 5:40am
cheers..
thanks, am looking forward to those years..
and yes, very handsome indeed!

pheffernan
Oct-16-2016, 6:57am
As a vast understatement, I don't think there'd be much argument anywhere about Gail's artisanship.

It is interesting to note that your #34 is only 16 mandolins away from my #18 carved all the way back in 2007, nearly 9 years ago. While Gail's artisanship is, as you say, inarguable, her output has been limited by some difficult circumstances over that time to less than two completed instruments per year. I often wonder whether she'd be recognized on the Mount Rushmore of modern builders if she had produced a few hundred mandolins, instead of a few dozen, to get them in the hands of more discerning players, or perhaps secured the right celebrity endorsement. I know that I feel pretty lucky to have 1 of the 34.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-16-2016, 7:24am
That is a beautiful mandolin.

yankees1
Oct-16-2016, 7:33am
It is interesting to note that your #34 is only 16 mandolins away from my #18 carved all the way back in 2007, nearly 9 years ago. While Gail's artisanship is, as you say, inarguable, her output has been limited by some difficult circumstances over that time to less than two completed instruments per year. I often wonder whether she'd be recognized on the Mount Rushmore of modern builders if she had produced a few hundred mandolins, instead of a few dozen, to get them in the hands of more discerning players, or perhaps secured the right celebrity endorsement. I know that I feel pretty lucky to have 1 of the 34.
Well, her low output should contribute to her mandolins holding their price as long as the demand is there.

red7flag
Oct-16-2016, 8:06am
Getting a mandolin from Gail is a Herculean task, but oh so worth it. Just like my friend, Tony, she nailed the color. To put this in perspective, she had never colored a red F4 before. The result was as good or better than any original F4 that I have seen. Then tone. I have never played an F4, I have played a boatload, as full, rich, but sweet. in my opinion, she out did the original. And being a huge F4 fan, that is strong praise.

pheffernan
Oct-16-2016, 8:08am
Well, her low output should contribute to her mandolins holding their price as long as the demand is there.

I understand the general economic value of limited supply, but in this instance, I do wonder if there would be greater demand if there were more of Gail's instruments out there for people to play, admire, and . . . well . . . demand.

fatt-dad
Oct-16-2016, 8:51am
To the OP, beautiful mandolin!

One nice thing about a long delivery on a custom order, is it quells MAS for a spell.

f-d

Andrew B. Carlson
Oct-16-2016, 10:40am
Wow. Just perfect. It got me wondering though. I've seen her A5s and F4s, does she make F5s? Don't believe I've seen one.

red7flag
Oct-16-2016, 10:44am
But, oh so tortuous!!

Caleb
Oct-16-2016, 11:01am
That is a beautiful instrument! Play it in good health.

pheffernan
Oct-16-2016, 11:09am
Wow. Just perfect. It got me wondering though. I've seen her A5s and F4s, does she make F5s? Don't believe I've seen one.

Andy Statman has!

MJoQ3gFdvLs

Check out the social group:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=304

Don Grieser
Oct-16-2016, 11:13am
Adam Tanner is playing one now. Tone monster.

ash89
Oct-16-2016, 2:37pm
Play it in good health.

cheers..

ash89
Oct-16-2016, 3:23pm
...While Gail's artisanship is, as you say, inarguable, her output has been limited by some difficult circumstances over that time to less than two completed instruments per year. I often wonder whether she'd be recognized on the Mount Rushmore of modern builders if she had produced a few hundred mandolins, instead of a few dozen, to get them in the hands of more discerning players, or perhaps secured the right celebrity endorsement. I know that I feel pretty lucky to have 1 of the 34.

yeah, well i guess the MR lineup could be about quantity too
in someone's world....
but it just isn't in everyone's business model to have prodigious output...
especially due to a builder's methods and backstory.
and i've learned that freebies, like celebrity endorsements, can come as a mixed blessing..
but yes, it's fun wondering what if..

as you say, these puppies are a very rare breed, and i'm lucky to have two...
and feel very secure in the provenance they hold..
any notion of future $value i find unimportant.

banjoboy
Oct-16-2016, 6:11pm
I've had my F5 for a couple years. I've been able to play numerous mandos at Gruhns and Carters, including all the top instruments from all the top builders. I've yet to play another mando that has given me MAS.

ash89
Oct-16-2016, 7:18pm
I've been able to play numerous mandos at Gruhns and Carters, including all the top instruments from all the top builders

located where i am, i've never had that luxury, but something tells me i'd feel the same..

Linda P.
Oct-27-2016, 9:26pm
Yes, Gail makes amazing F5's too!! I was very fortunate to get one of her beautiful instruments!! Mine is #32! I requested that she make mine with a one-piece front and back. The sound is really great! Rings like crazy and is pretty darn loud. Cuts through all the banjos you can throw at it, at a jam!! I've had people tell me that it has a great bark/chop. The few really great mandolin players in our area, have played it, and think highly of Gail's skills. I had Brian Oberlin, Pete Martin, Tom Moran all play it while I was in workshops of theirs, and my instructors, Terry Enyeart and Roger Ferguson, and all of these guys are in shock that someone local here can produce such a great instrument! And a woman too!! I was talking to Gail recently and told her "I'm in a really happy place right now with my beautiful mandolin!"

pheffernan
Oct-28-2016, 5:31am
Yes, Gail makes amazing F5's too!! I was very fortunate to get one of her beautiful instruments!! Mine is #32!

Your location clearly gives you an unfair advantage! ;)

ash89
Oct-28-2016, 2:17pm
Your location clearly gives you an unfair advantage! ;)

try it from over here LOL.. :-)

Austin Bob
Oct-28-2016, 5:43pm
Very nice, truly a treasure that you get to play. How sweet is that?

pheffernan
Oct-28-2016, 5:48pm
Adam Tanner is playing one now. Tone monster.

Is this the one of which you speak?

s0fdvmTISNA

Don Grieser
Oct-28-2016, 6:31pm
Yes!

Russ Donahue
Oct-28-2016, 10:13pm
Very pretty instrument...in the blonde it was gorgeous, the burst is depth on top.

Linda P.
Oct-28-2016, 11:36pm
YES, She's just a few miles from me. I'm SO fortunate!!