PDA

View Full Version : A models

bobrem
Mar-22-2016, 9:54pm
I used to feel sorry for A model owners as the poor cousins of we F model owners (see cartoon), until I got a killer Gilchrist model 3.

Pittsburgh Bill
Mar-22-2016, 11:01pm
I'm glad you are over your sadness for us poor deprived A style owners.

Enjoy your new Gilcrist!

bobrem
Mar-23-2016, 12:26am
I'm glad you are over your sadness for us poor deprived A style owners.

Enjoy your new Gilcrist!

I actually love A models. I just wanted an excuse to post the cartoon.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-23-2016, 3:14am
I prefer "F" styles,but,i've also played anough "A" styles to understand that between one & the other (by the same maker),there's not a great deal of difference,if any at all,other than that of any single mandolin F or A style to any other. Any of you lucky folk in the US who've maybe had a chance to see & hear Joe Walsh in person,will have heard one of the finest sounding mandolins doing the rounds today (IMHO),his Gil. "A" style :-

https://youtu.be/mtuznfwj1gE
Ivan;)

sgarrity
Mar-23-2016, 6:42pm
My main mando for the last 8 years has been a Heiden A5. It takes a back seat to no scroll! :mandosmiley:

Congrats on the Model 3. I've played several I wish I'd bought!

DataNick
Mar-23-2016, 7:27pm
My main mando for the last 8 years has been a Heiden A5. It takes a back seat to no scroll! :mandosmiley:

Congrats on the Model 3. I've played several I wish I'd bought!

What he said about his Heiden...you better believe it! An A-model MAS killer!

JEStanek
Mar-23-2016, 7:34pm
Funny comic. I love my A styles.

Jamie

mandobassman
Mar-23-2016, 7:48pm
I used to feel sorry for A model owners as the poor cousins of we F model owners (see cartoon), until I got a killer Gilchrist model 3.

Funny, I've always felt a little sorry for the poor F style owners who paid twice as much for their mando. Actually, I'm just kidding. I love them all, but I have always been partial to A styles.

John Adrihan
Apr-02-2016, 7:39pm
I prefer "F" styles,but,i've also played anough "A" styles to understand that between one & the other (by the same maker),there's not a great deal of difference,if any at all,other than that of any single mandolin F or A style to any other. Any of you lucky folk in the US who've maybe had a chance to see & hear Joe Walsh in person,will have heard one of the finest sounding mandolins doing the rounds today (IMHO),his Gil. "A" style :-

Ivan;)
Joe is from Duluth and when I still lived there back in 2012 or 13 he came back for Christmas and showed up at our local jam. This jam has been going on since some time in the 70's. the guy that actually taught joe was there and is a founding member of the jam, any way he was standing next to me while we played and I think I lost some hearing that night due to that mandolin. it is awesome.

AlanN
Apr-02-2016, 8:00pm
I dig Joe. A nice relaxed, gentle style, with hipness and panache. The mandolin surely fits his thing. I wish he had talked a bit more about the appointments - frets, fingerboard, bracing.... you know, the geeky stuff :mandosmiley:

I did notice a scooped florida.

Astro
Apr-02-2016, 8:16pm

Ivan;)

Gosh Ivan, is that you admiring a mandolin that has been disfigured by the placement of a strap button on the neck heel? That guy playing it must not know any better than to play on such an abomination. And its just one of those Gilchrist jobs (OK , I'm just poking fun because I love the button I installed on my a style and I remember how much you loathed the thought so now that I see one of the worlds best players playing one of the worlds best mandolins with the infamous neck button, well I had to be a snoot about it)

Ron McMillan
Apr-03-2016, 8:58am
Gosh Ivan, is that you admiring a mandolin that has been disfigured by the placement of a strap button on the neck heel? That guy playing it must not know any better than to play on such an abomination.

Whatsmore, there's no sign of a Red Snark anywhere! I think Ivan might be mellowing :)

lukmanohnz
Apr-03-2016, 10:59am
After several years playing a Capek F style mandolin I was looking to upgrade to an instrument with better tone (not that the Capek was bad - just wanted something more complex and refined) and a radiused fretboard - and specifically an A style. My Northfield Model M fits the bill - it's un-put-down-able.

Spruce
Apr-03-2016, 4:23pm

I used to feel sorry for A model owners as the poor cousins of we F model owners, until I played #74003. ;)

bobrem
Apr-03-2016, 5:54pm
I used to feel sorry for A model owners as the poor cousins of we F model owners, until I played #74003. ;)

Ah, yes. The Holy Grail of A models.

Mike Snyder
Apr-07-2016, 2:28am
A shout out to Mike Black for the awesomeness of my A4- #27. Vintage snake-head looks, modern playability, volume and tone I used to think I'd never get out of an A-style mandolin. Stands up to Irish sessions, gets the delicate under-stated finesse of singer-songwriter stuff. It'll do bluegrass,too, but I have an F5 warhorse for that. I wanted one for years, have known Mike for years and am a happy picker.

JeffD
Apr-07-2016, 8:28am
Back way back there, my first mandolin was an A style my father got me. I was kind of disappointed because in reality I wanted a bowlback. But I did very quickly learn to love that thing.

I saw my first F style body in the Mandolin World News - (which was a sort of inefficient paper version of the café we had back before they invented... much of anything I guess) - and I remember being kind of shocked. Especially at the headstock.

I have since appreciated the F style body; its context and the historical roots of that kind of design; and I love them. From a personal taste point of view I still think the design is over the top, but I like that kind of exuberance, and how it has become a "cast in stone" exuberance. The body scroll is objectively ridiculous, and lovely, and iconic. Not any kind of swirly extrusion will do.

Sticking with arch tops for now, my favorite design has become the two point. It has the form follows function austerity of the A style, with a slight exception to prove we are more than functional beings. Among two pointers, my favorite is the asymmetrical two point, because it is even a step more whimsical, without going untethered crazy.

Perry
Apr-07-2016, 9:13am
Another fan of A models. Here is my Kimble

ferrousgeek
Apr-08-2016, 7:00am

Ivan;)

Joe acquired a Nugget "F" style a few months back and has definitely been playing it in public.

bobrem
Apr-08-2016, 10:56am
Joe acquired a Nugget "F" style a few months back and has definitely been playing it in public.

Traitor! Heresey! ;)

doc holiday
Apr-08-2016, 3:47pm
I had heard it was going to be a Nugget A.... Here's a recent photo.... not the blacktop Gilchrist145256

nickster
Apr-08-2016, 3:48pm
I've owned 4 different F5's over the past 10 years. Now I'm just playing an Ellis A5 that I like tone wise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8W50z34hQ&feature=share

Mark Christensen
Apr-08-2016, 4:28pm
You can tell I like A style Mandolins!

nickster
Apr-08-2016, 4:31pm
Very nice selection Mark.

pelone
Apr-08-2016, 5:53pm
Mark----nice to see that you have that MAS under control. I feel a fever coming on.

9lbShellhamer
Apr-08-2016, 5:56pm
One day I'll have that Heiden A5 I fell in love with at Carters! The prospect of selling my current herd is daunting, to be left with only the Heiden and my beater KM162, but I think the Heiden will be worth it! I'm at least a year away from that though.

Congrats on the Gil! What a treasure.

cayuga red
Apr-08-2016, 9:09pm
Very nice! And your Ellis sounds great.

Nick Gellie
Apr-09-2016, 5:34am
Why not stick with the Collings MT? It is as good a mandolin as any out there.

Mark Seale
Apr-09-2016, 11:05pm
I love A models, but I only have a B.

JeffD
Apr-09-2016, 11:43pm
Now I'm just playing an Ellis A5 that I like tone wise

Very nice playing it is sir! Very nice.

Josh Levine
Apr-10-2016, 10:18am
Very nice playing it is sir! Very nice.
Indeed, what year is your Ellis.

nickster
Apr-10-2016, 11:19am
I contacted Ellis and they said it was originally shipped on 9-1-15 to Carter's. I purchased it used from Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store where it was on consignment just over a couple weeks ago. The original owner had not played it much. No fret wear at all just like a brand new mandolin. It has a very good tone but I can tell it hasn't opened up yet. Looking forward to the tone it will have six months from now if I keep playing it like the last ten days. I have already added some fret wear. It had new strings (EJ74) on it when I received it and I just changed them yesterday to EXP74's but took the 2nd strings from a EXP75 set (experimenting).

Mark Christensen
Apr-10-2016, 11:37am
Nickster, after experimenting with various brands and gauges on my Ellis Mandolins I really like the D'Addario EXP74CM set the best. Give them a try and see what you think.

nickster
Apr-10-2016, 12:16pm
Nickster, after experimenting with various brands and gauges on my Ellis Mandolins I really like the D'Addario EXP74CM set the best. Give them a try and see what you think.

Thanks for the info. I will give them a try. When I get a new mandolin I like to experiment with strings trying to find the best for that particular instrument. I like coated strings because I kill uncoated very fast. I use fast fret applicators with wd40 applied to help extend the life and also makes it easier on the fingers.

Josh Levine
Apr-10-2016, 9:31pm
Thanks for the info. I will give them a try. When I get a new mandolin I like to experiment with strings trying to find the best for that particular instrument. I like coated strings because I kill uncoated very fast. I use fast fret applicators with wd40 applied to help extend the life and also makes it easier on the fingers.

I also like the exp74cms on my Ellis. I think I remember seeing that Ellis at TMS major steal. If I see another else a for <4K I may not be able to restrain myself.

michaelcj
Apr-10-2016, 9:38pm
All A's in the house; Ratliff RA5, 1919 A2,….. Oh and a garage sale find, Mahogany "Blue Comet" Flattop.

You Ellis and Gilchrist folks are waaaayyy outta my league… :mandosmiley:

nickster
Apr-10-2016, 10:25pm
I also like the exp74cms on my Ellis. I think I remember seeing that Ellis at TMS major steal. If I see another else a for <4K I may not be able to restrain myself.

You may have not seen mine because Dennis knew I was looking for one and email me before it got posted. As soon as the images got loaded I purchased it. It was up on the site less than an hour. You don't see many Ellis A's for sale. When you do they go fast especially if they're around 4000.00. I'm ordering some exp74cm's.

nickster
Apr-15-2016, 6:12pm
You can tell I like A style Mandolins!

Mark,
How does your Mowry compare to the Ellis A tone wise? He makes some beautiful mandolins too.

TEvans
Apr-28-2016, 4:27pm

Joe's new nugget is an A!

Mark Christensen
Apr-28-2016, 4:47pm
Nickster just caught your question, the Ellis has slightly more bass response and is louder, the Mowry is even across the strings and is sweeter, both great build quality, thought I would sell one over the other but they sound and feel different enough that there's no need to sell either. The Ellis oval is really exceptional and I play that one alot. It has a great ringing voice.

ferrousgeek
Apr-28-2016, 6:14pm
Joe's new nugget is an A!

Sure is. My bad!

TEvans
May-05-2016, 5:30pm
On the note of A models, and specifically Joe's Nugget, Peghead just put out this video of him talking about it, and then playing a tune with Scott Nygaard. Great sounding mando!

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/fine-lutherie/nugget-style-standard-mandolin/

Ron McMillan
May-05-2016, 10:03pm
I've owned 4 different F5's over the past 10 years. Now I'm just playing an Ellis A5 that I like tone wise.

Wow that sounds dreamy. :)

nickster
Aug-25-2016, 4:08pm

I finally put some EXP74Cm's on the Ellis A5. I do like them. They seem to have a more balanced tone on the Ellis.