PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Identify Make of this tailpiece from the design?

Bill Kammerzell
Mar-19-2016, 5:01pm
Bought it as it only had 8 hooks to loop the stings instead of the 12, I often see. Also did not have a hole drilled for a strap button. Thought it might be old. Its usable and in good shape, if something should happen to the one I currently have on the Bacon.
The 8 string hooks are straight across. Not staggered. Guy sold it too me said it came off a vintage Washburn, though I can't find a picture of an old Washburn with this style tailpiece. Could mean it was a retrofit. I'll ask him what make of Washburn.

Okay. Here is the Washburn. Not sure how "Vintage" this is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Washburn-A-Style-Mandolin-F-Holes-Natural-Finish-/161954728212?ru=http%3A+www.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.htm l%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D161954728212 %26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=JWzmBmeHWdokyaU20eE8wBkuLK4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Timbofood
Mar-24-2016, 6:37am
Since the term "Vintage" pretty much means something made over fifteen minutes ago now. This fits that criteria. My guess is the story is questionable at best but, if you got it cheap enough who cares.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-24-2016, 8:25am
Late 70's to 80's. It was a cheaper tailpiece to manufacture at the time. Nothing amazing here. Many people don't use the Gibson style tailpiece hooks the "correct" way anyway. The reason for those extra 4 hooks doesn't exist anymore.

Timbofood
Mar-24-2016, 2:32pm
Mike,
I still use "all" the hooks,but, I have been called an "old codger" since I was 20!

MikeEdgerton
Mar-24-2016, 3:57pm
As do I.

pops1
Mar-24-2016, 4:25pm
It's hard to change after a few decades of doing something, I use 'em all too.

liestman
Mar-25-2016, 6:56am
So what is the reason for those 4 extra hooks (I mean the reason that does not exist any more)? Thanks in advance.

EdHanrahan
Mar-25-2016, 8:01am
So what is the reason for those 4 extra hooks ...

To form the loop end, old-time strings had the windings run further up the main body of the string. On the unwound ones, that left the heel of the picker's hand subject to catching on the cut end, while the wound strings provided their own hand protection. The "extra" hooks would pull those extended windings of the E and A down under the tailpiece cover. Not a problem with modern winding techniques/machinery that run the winding just a short way up the main body of the string.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-25-2016, 8:17am
So what is the reason for those 4 extra hooks (I mean the reason that does not exist any more)? Thanks in advance.

Actually it was to help keep the unwound strings from coming undone.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html

Willie Poole
Mar-25-2016, 10:18am
I like Ed`s explanation because Martin has some cloth material wrapped into their strings to keep the hands from snagging on the loose ends if you were using a tail piece other than one with the extra four hooks...Make sense to me...

Bill Kammerzell
Mar-25-2016, 10:25am
Late 70's to 80's. It was a cheaper tailpiece to manufacture at the time. Nothing amazing here. Many people don't use the Gibson style tailpiece hooks the "correct" way anyway. The reason for those extra 4 hooks doesn't exist anymore.

At under ten bucks it was worth a shot. :)