PDA

View Full Version : The Old-time Herald

Sellars
May-11-2005, 9:56am
Hi all,

In my seaches for ukuleles in old-time I stumbeled onto the Old time Herald. It looked like a very nice magazine, and it wasn't exensive so I decided to support their good cause and become a subscriber.

Are there any thoughts here on this magazine?

I'm looking forward to receiving the first one.

John Flynn
May-11-2005, 11:31am
I subscribe. Like you, I like to support the cause and I do find some of the articles and ads moderately interesting. Having been a magazine editor and having subscribed to music magazines before, I am "underwhelmed" with it as a publication. I find thier editorial approach to be strictly focused on old-time life-long insiders and not expansive enough to reach out and try to get the rest of the world interested in old-time, which is what the community really needs.

mingusb1
May-11-2005, 12:21pm
I was getting the OT Herald for a year and enjoyed it. #I need to re-subscribe. #I was also getting "after" copies of "Bluegrass Unlimited" from a buddy in my band for quite a while.

It may seem odd, but BU is actually quite a bit more straight-laced than the OT Herald, IMO. #While OT music may seem more stodgy, it is also more diverse and even funky. #Much more interesting than reading about the Nth "traditional bluegrass with a flair" band in BU. #Sometimes it's just too square!

Not to bash BU too much, but I would recommend the Herald.

Then again, I'd play OT before BG, too.
Z

violmando
May-11-2005, 10:25pm
I also am a subscriber and I like the width of its coverage---all instruments, past artists and new artists. Recommended!

JGWoods
May-12-2005, 8:48pm
The Old Time Herald is a treasure. Everyone should subscribe. I've been getting it for years and wouldn't be without it.

best
jgwoods

bones12
May-13-2005, 8:10pm
I've read and enjoyed every issue. It is the essential read for the oldtime community-- the glue that helps us keep a bulletin board together. It is a small community. The magazine is a labor of love and stays close to its mission. I also read Dirty Linen, No Depression, Sing Out.. for other music info but the OTH arrivals are like holding your favorite mandolin. Subscribe to it; you'll love it if you love old time. Doug