PDA

View Full Version : Weber Freedom model

Dotneck
Mar-18-2016, 11:09am
Has anyone seen a Weber Freedom model? Was looking at mandolin vendor websites and saw a couple Freedom models at the Mando Store. They are not listed on the Weber site. It looks like a Gallatin with top binding and a funky scroll.

Never seen one before. Could it be an exclusive model for that shop?

I just realized as I was typing this...the funky scroll could be a Breedlove scroll...

allenhopkins
Mar-18-2016, 6:52pm
Not much on the Weber Freedom model; here's one of two (http://themandoshop.com/weber-mandolins/mandolin-weber-freedom-f-o-fl-12437104.html) the Mando Shop (not the Mandolin Store) is selling for $3K. This is a somewhat "out there" oval-hole, F-model mandolin, with a "horn" projection rather than a scroll. I'm a bit put off by the Mando Shop's description, which is probably lifted from another Weber's write-up; it mentions "F holes," which the Freedom doesn't have, and "tone bar" bracing, which might be a bit difficult on an oval-hole.

Nice-enough-looking instrument, if you're OK with the non-traditional silhouette, and if you're looking for an oval-hole rather than an f-hole mandolin. I'd hazard a guess that you won't find too many Cafe members who've actually had a chance to play one, however. The "horn" non-scroll is like the one Weber shows on its Gallatins on the website, though current Gallatins apparently have a more traditional scroll design.

DHopkins
Mar-18-2016, 7:34pm
It's not a Breedlove scroll. This is typical of the Breedloves.

Dotneck
Mar-18-2016, 9:15pm
I traded e-mails with Kyle at the Mando Shop. Its a custom run that he had built for his shop so you won't find other ones at other shops...

darylcrisp
Mar-19-2016, 1:25am
Gary
years ago, the Weber Gallatin models had a more simple scroll. My daughter has a 2003 and the scroll is somewhat like the one on that Freedom model.

at some point in the last few years, Weber had started putting the more traditional scroll on the Gallatin models. I don't have year dates for any of these happenings.

if you find Weber Gallatins for sale and they are early 2000 year models, they will have that more simple scroll. Here is a link to Elderly on a 2003 they have for sale-this is like my daughters. it kinda does look like the Freedom scroll but these pictures seem to show the Freedom has a slightly less tight scroll to my eyes.

http://www.elderly.com/weber-gallatin-f-2003.htm

and here is a Freedom

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-19-2016, 4:03am
That's a Weber that i hadn't heard of before & it's certainly a 'looker' IMHO. The styling & especially the colour, is beautiful. If i was in the market for an F4 (sort of) model,i'd try to find one of those,
Ivan:disbelief:

seg
Mar-19-2016, 7:41pm
and a return to a mahogany backplate

G7MOF
Mar-20-2016, 5:58am
That's a Weber that i hadn't heard of before & it's certainly a 'looker' IMHO. The styling & especially the colour, is beautiful. If i was in the market for an F4 (sort of) model,i'd try to find one of those,
Ivan:disbelief:

So would I, that's cool...

pops1
Mar-20-2016, 11:24am
daryl, what is the sound like on your daughters, I like the simplicity of that style. My guess warm and not as loud????

Brett Byers
Mar-20-2016, 2:27pm
It's essentially a top-bound Gallatin, with fingerboard binding and special peghead inlay. I can't remember if we did f-hole models in addition to the oval hole. Some hand bound oval holes, some were unbound. A few of the "natural" colored Freedom's were finished with tung oil only and were quite responsive when they left the shop. I believe the others were finished with satin nitro. The Freedom model was exclusive to Kyle at The Mando Shop

darylcrisp
Mar-20-2016, 8:13pm
daryl, what is the sound like on your daughters, I like the simplicity of that style. My guess warm and not as loud????

very warm, sweet tone. it is similar to the one in the Elderly listing, but it has a scroll headstock and tortoise binding. Mahogany back and sides, and the original Brekke bridge that adjusts from both sides with small allen head worm screws. I remember speaking with Weber once after we got it and as we were talking over things, Bruce mentioned if I ever wanted to brighten the tone I could go with a different bridge like the traditional brekke(with thumbwheels). he said the Brekke with side adjustment warmed the tone and the traditional with thumbscrews brighten it. not a lot, but some.

anyone who plays her mandolin remarks how sweet and nice it sounds.

it projects good, but its nothing loud like my Collings. I would place it more in the folk singer type rather than Bluegrass. these older Webers with mahogany backs really have a neat tone imo.

d

pops1
Mar-20-2016, 10:05pm
Thanks daryl, interesting about the brekke changing tone. I just ordered a CA in rosewood a couple days ago to do just that.