PDA

View Full Version : Lester Flatt and Bill Monroe Interview . . .

Mark Gunter
Mar-17-2016, 10:13pm
Yes, it's time for another airing of this hilarious interview, I LMAO when I found this. Any newbies like me interested in Bluegrass should enjoy this immensely.

https://youtu.be/nxWskPfTYPM

f5loar
Mar-17-2016, 10:57pm
If you know your history of bluegrass then you will understand this paradox on these two legends of bluegrass.

Marvino
Mar-17-2016, 11:09pm
You might be alone in the enjoyment of that video.

Mark Gunter
Mar-17-2016, 11:12pm

Well now, don't I feel small. <not>

RFMando
Mar-17-2016, 11:33pm
Wow!!! Epic, an ain't that no part of nothing now?!! Love it! :)

Mark Gunter
Mar-17-2016, 11:35pm
In the interest of avoiding any conflict with any other members here, the video has been deleted.

Interested parties can find a copy of the "interview" by searching google if desired. The video was a farce interview that is intended to be humorous, and my intention in posting it was to bring it to the attention of newer folk here who have not seen it. I found it to be very funny. I won't be posting to this thread again. Carry on.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-18-2016, 2:01am
The 'interview's been around for a few years now. To fully understand it,you need to understand Bill Monroe's stance on 'his' music & the rivalry that went on between Bill Monroe & Flatt & Scruggs after they left his band. There are several referrences to 'grass' & those are aimed at 'The Nashville Grass' band that Lester put together after splitting with Earl. IMHO,it's amazingly funny. Lester's character is so laid back as to be almost horizontal, & Bill Monroe's character gets hotter & hotter under the collar.
I can't remember the names of the ''impersonators' but i believe that Lester's former bus driver took Lester off & Glen Duncan took off Bill Monroe.
If you haven't seen this clip - it's a killer !,:))
Ivan;)

https://youtu.be/TT1w1N5fgKY

Mark - Why should there be any ''conflict'' ? - That video's been on & off here for years & not one person has found anything 'wrong' with it.

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-18-2016, 8:21am
In the interest of avoiding any conflict with any other members here, the video has been deleted.
... I won't be posting to this thread again. Carry on.

Mark, You're not the first one to post that video (sound clip). It's been around for a long time, listened to and enjoyed by many.
Evidently, it has also been misunderstood (at least once).
No need to be concerned.

Mandolin Cafe
Mar-18-2016, 8:28am

No, not really. Further issues with it feel free to contact the site owner to discuss further.

FJ99AR4xFRw

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-18-2016, 8:31am
I clicked the 'Thanks' button before I realized that the clip won't play. Oh well, it's the thought that counts!

AlanN
Mar-18-2016, 8:37am
Yep, this interview has been enjoyed by many. We ID'ed the voices before, but the one I hear and can ID is Ronnie M. Who are the others?

Drew Egerton
Mar-18-2016, 8:39am
Alan and I said the same thing at the same time...

Mandolin Cafe
Mar-18-2016, 8:53am
Magically edited to work.

Drew Egerton
Mar-18-2016, 9:08am
I found this while doing a Google search in a post from the Banjo Hangout...
Given that banjo players are the source, who knows... :)

"Charlie Vaughn doing Flatt, and Glen Duncan doing Monroe. The two interviewers were Jimmy Capps, and Ronnie McCoury"

Timbofood
Mar-18-2016, 9:13am
There's an interview with Keith Whitley on the Ralph Emery show doing the funniest Lester Flatt impersonation I have ever heard. Having Lester sing "Rub it in!" Is just a scream!
I'm too dim to link it but, it's there.

Stevo75
Mar-18-2016, 9:32am
Mark, thanks for posting. I thought it was hilarious!

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-18-2016, 9:41am
There's an interview with Keith Whitley on the Ralph Emery show doing the funniest Lester Flatt impersonation I have ever heard. Having Lester sing "Rub it in!" Is just a scream!
I'm too dim to link it but, it's there.

I'm too dim to put the actual video up.
I'm just barely bright enough to link it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFnXWiI874

Willie Poole
Mar-18-2016, 11:07am
I have heard Jim McAll do a perfect impression of Lester and his singing had him spot on, from the back of the festival grounds I thought it really was Lester and then when I got closer I could see it wasn`t, he was playing with Walter Hensley and his band out of Baltimore....

Spruce
Mar-18-2016, 2:12pm

Seriously?
Not only is it "enjoyed", it has become iconic...
A Bluegrass touchstone...

I found this while doing a Google search in a post from the Banjo Hangout...
Given that banjo players are the source, who knows... :)

I originally got this recording from Michael Cleveland, and posted it on YouTube as soon as I could figure out how to do so a few years ago... ;)
Mucho thanks to Michael--and those who participated in the "interview"--as this is one of my favorite bits of tape out there, in any genre.

-GPRyNFkNH8

Mark Gunter
Mar-18-2016, 2:48pm
Spruce, I found this on your YouTube channel, but when I tried to put it into this post originally, it didn't work because you have it set not to play outside of YouTube . . . so I downloaded the video, uploaded a copy to my account, and posted it. It garnered what I perceived as at least one snarky comment, and my knowledge of having uploaded and shared it through my YouTube account without permission along with the snarkism is what made me decide to delete the video from my account. I don't want to step on toes and create any problems here unnecessarily. I gotta say, I can understand why this is one of your favorite bits of tape out there. I must have watched it half a dozen times :)

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-19-2016, 4:40am
If i was ever so fortunate to meet up with Ronnie McCoury,i doubt if i'd be able to resist the urge to say 'Hi,nice to meet you Mr Huskey'',just to see his face.
I've listened to the ''interview' dozens if times & it never fails to make me laugh out loud. The contrast between Bill & Lester's 'personalities' is hilarious - Bill Monroe - ''Man,i could have been a powerful drunk myself. I loved the taste of Whisky'' Totally,off the planet funny !!!!!!!. Lester Flatt - '' As far as i can remember,you never was in tune'' . You can almost see the steam coming out of Bill's ears .
There's a touch of genius in the putting together of that sketch,
Ivan:))

Danidog
Mar-19-2016, 5:29am
Thanks for posting this video, I'm still laughing as I think about this two hours later. Priceless!

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-19-2016, 7:54am
If i was ever so fortunate to meet up with Ronnie McCoury,i doubt if i'd be able to resist the urge to say 'Hi,nice to meet you Mr Huskey'',just to see his face.
I've listened to the ''interview' dozens if times & it never fails to make me laugh out loud. The contrast between Bill & Lester's 'personalities' is hilarious - Bill Monroe - ''Man,i could have been a powerful drunk myself. I loved the taste of Whisky'' Totally,off the planet funny !!!!!!!. Lester Flatt - '' As far as i can remember,you never was in tune'' . You can almost see the steam coming out of Bill's ears .
There's a touch of genius in the putting together of that sketch,
Ivan:))

I love it when 'Lester' says (about Paul Warren) "When he played Katy Hill, you know it had been played."

And 'Bill' explaining how he had to let Kenny go..."He wad'n with us but for 27 years."

Spruce
Mar-19-2016, 11:27am
You can almost see the steam coming out of Bill's ears .

Apparently, Mr. Bill hissed when he got ticked, and there's a lot of hissing on this recording... ;)