PDA

View Full Version : Mando ModeExplorer

craigmurray
May-11-2005, 8:52am
I saw the Mando Mode Explorer (http://www.grovelandsoftwarelabs.com/modeexplorerweb/home/mandomodeexplorer.aspx) program advertised in the classifieds last week. #I checked out their webpage, and it looks like something I could use. #Just wondering if anyone has used it, and if you would share your thoughts on it. #Why do you need the Microsoft .NET framework to run the program? #Any comments would be appreciated.
Craig Murray

GVD
May-11-2005, 10:15am
According to their FAQ page:

Q: What is the Microsoft .NET Framework?

A: The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services.

The ModeExplorer is built upon the .NET Framework. What this means is that the ModeExplorer takes advantage of the latest Microsoft .NET technologies to tap into its musical database and present that knowledge to you.

Then again it could be .NET is a framework that allows us to take advantage of you and tap into your bank account. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

GVD

groveland
May-11-2005, 7:18pm
No ulterior motives here!

The Mando ModeExplorer is a software tool that runs on the Windows platform, and it's designed to expose the inner workings of a number of popular scales and the component chords derived from those scales, from simple to complex, on the mandolin. #

It plays whatever is displayed on the neck, scales and chords, and suggests scales based on chord sequences you define. You navigate a tree of scales and component chords and inversions which are built on-the-fly, and explore the possibilities.

The help file outlines a great way to approach improvisation and build chords on the mandolin. Chord sequences you design can be printed out in rudimentary charts. It really is pretty comprehensive, in my opinion.

Of course, I am biased.

As to the point about .NET: Simply put, that's Microsoft's current set of software tools and services. #It came out ca. 2002, and all their products are based on it. It's similar to many non-Microsoft platforms in many ways, most notably Java and related tools, so it's not really something very new. Chances are if you have Windows XP, the .NET framework is already on your machine.

The Mando ModeExplorer does NOT require an internet connection, so if there is a concern that the program will pilfer bank accounts, it doesn't need to be online to work. #(Frankly, I simply am not clever enough for that, even if I was so inclined.) Additionally, it is no more risky than any other web-based endeavor you may undertake, including reading this post. #If you wish to use web access, there are a couple extra features available from the ModeExplorer web service. (And GVD, your concerns, in general are valid - You have to be careful nowadays.)

I believe that this tool can be useful to many of us. #If you got, say, just a dozen new chords out of the thing, would that be a good thing? They say, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." The Mando ModeExplorer's goal is to expose how all this stuff works.

It teaches me all the time.

One last note - I am always looking for ways to improve the content of the Mando ModeExplorer, and invite all comments and suggestions. #Please don't hesitate to let me know what's on your mind. #The idea is to build the absolute best mando-tool of its kind.

Thanks for asking!

Craig (not the posting Craig)

craigmurray
May-11-2005, 9:49pm
Hey Craig
Thanks for the review. I must admit that I was a little intimidated by the .NET Framework, a little worried that something similar to what GVD suggested could happen. #I know that a lot of programs, especially P2P programs, take advantage of your computer with your permission, after you accept the terms of their software. Your product looks good, and I agree that I am sure I have lots to learn from it. Are there any unbiased reviewers on the Cafe?
Craig Murray

Ted Eschliman
Jun-01-2005, 7:02am
Hey gang, this is a great program!
My thoughts (http://jazzmando.com/groveland.shtml).

craigmurray
Jun-01-2005, 7:40am
Hey Ted
Thanks for the review. #I was very excited when I checked out their webpage, but wanted to be reassured before I layed down my money. #It sounds like it is as good as I imagined it could be. #I am convinced. #I will let you know what I think.
Craig Murray

Darren Kern
Jan-11-2006, 10:58am
Craig (the thread starter) or anyone else, can you give any further feedback on this program? #I am wondering if it would be useful to a relatively new player like myself. #I am starting to play with a group for the first time, and it is a real challenge but a lot of fun. #One of the things I spend a lot of time doing is, for example figuring out what chords to play on mandolin when the guitar is playing G, C and D with a capo on 3. #I'd like to get to the point where this type of thing just comes naturally, kind of like knowing your times tables. #Groveland, do you think your program would help with this type of situation?

WireBoy
Jan-11-2006, 12:06pm
I've got it and have poked around with it. #i do have a few issues with it when using it as a chord reference tool. #perhaps i'm not using it right.
i can't get it to show 'first position' chords. #you know the 2 and 3 finger ones over the first 5 frets that use open strings. #if you cycle thru the chords some of them do show up at the 12th fret. #why doesn't the cycle start at the 0 fret (nut). #some common chord shapes don't appear at all. #
#i'd like to see MME have more of a tutorial or how to wizard to show you how to use it for certain things. #it's very easy to get lost or overwhelmed with the depth of info here.

craigmurray
Jan-11-2006, 1:04pm
Hydrilla
Although WireBoy makes a valid point - I think that the Mode Explorer is exactly what you are looking for. #This program is all about chord voicings. #My guess is that the chords WireBoy has pointed out are missing, you already have a good grasp of anyway. #Craig at Groveland is very helpful, and obviously a mandolin picker. #I would not be suprised if he makes changes to the software to take WireBoys comments into consideration - and provides an update for everyone who has already bought the program. I think you can download the 30 day trial version of the Guitar Mode Explorer from the Groveland Website. #This might give you an idea if the Mando Mode Explorer is what you are looking for. It has my recommendation.
Craig

Darren Kern
Jan-11-2006, 2:08pm
Thanks guys, it sounds like it would do me some good, and you really can't go wrong for $30. I'm real weak on theory, but very determined to change that in the next few years http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

groveland
Jan-11-2006, 2:44pm
Thanks for the kind words, folks!

I am always looking to get feedback on where the ModeExplorer can be improved, and I provide new releases fairly frequently incorporating improvements. #You'd be surprised how few folks using the ModeExplorer actually get back to us with suggestions (or complaints http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ). When an idea looks like a good fit, we put it in.

The suggestion about open-string voicings may be useful. #Currently they actually are omitted by design: It seemed like closed voicings would present a general solution without special rules, so the user can apply those general rules to to the special case (open-string voicings). #Know what I mean?

In case this isn't the forum for discussion about this, feel free to send me a private message from here at the 'cafe.

Thanks again!

Craig (the other Craig)