PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested

jimmyjames
Mar-17-2016, 10:38am
Hi, I am not very active on this site but have been a member for a few years. I am mainly a guitarist. I play bluegrass. I am trying to find a good mandolin for around $500.

I used to own a J Bovier A5T and I can't find anything in my price range that sound as good. I especially notice it in the chop.

Is it possible to get something that can play in a spirited bluegrass jam for my price range? In the used market, there is an Eastman MD315, Loar LM600VS, Kentucky KM-650, Kentucky KM-800. I am not looking specifically for an F model, this is just what I am seeing in my price range.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Jim

9lbShellhamer
Mar-17-2016, 12:41pm
I would either get the Eastman 305 or a Kentucky 505. The finish and build quality on the Kentucky is a million times better than the Eastman, but I actually prefer the Eastman tone. I would call The Mandolin Store and talk to them. You'll get a ton of great responses here, but those are the 2 best mandolins in that price range for the most part. Make CERTAIN to purchase from a quality shop like The Mandolin Store, or Folk Musician, Elderly, etc, as they'll be set up to play, etc. This is paramount...to get from a reputable shop.

gtani7
Mar-17-2016, 4:30pm
I second 9lb's advice, but is there a dealer where you can play a lot of instruments? If it's a bus/train ride and a few hours away, i think that's a worthy investment. You want to feel the finish, neck shapes, fingerboard radius and fret sizes in person, and different instruments of the same model number will sound different

(Me: 2 eastmans, 1 Kentucky, 1 "The Loar" currently

allenhopkins
Mar-18-2016, 6:34pm
Don't agree that "The finish and build quality on the Kentucky is a million times better than the Eastman" -- Eastman mandolins are quite well-made, though not all like the satin finish on their '300' series instruments. At $500 I'd be in the used market, with the usual caveats about making sure that the instrument's properly set up.

There are Eastman, Kentucky and Loar mandolins in the classifieds currently, that are in your price range and would probably meet the "specs" you've posted. Also an old Strad-O-Lin that's intriguing. Just make sure to get all solid-wood construction, carved top rather than heat-pressed. And as you're aware, you get more acoustic "bang" for the price, with an A-model rather than an F-model.

jimmyjames
Mar-18-2016, 10:04pm
Thanks for all the advice. At this point, I have played a Loar and an Eastman MD315. I really liked the Eastman. But there is a Japan Kentucky KM-650 in the classified that is very intriguing. There is no chance at playing one of those locally. Any thoughts on the Eastman vs. the Kentucky made in Japan?

Thanks!

Stacey Morris
Mar-22-2016, 9:14pm
Hi Jimmy. I will throw in my $0.02 worth.

I just yesterday received my new Eastman MD505 from the Mandolin Store. It was $499 because it is a "blem," although I can see no blemishes personally It has a great sound. You should call Brian or Dennis there and talk to them. My new mandolin is very well set up.