PDA

View Full Version : Wow. My Mandolin changed

Mr5150
Mar-16-2016, 9:11pm
As a player of flutes (sterling silver) and a Sax (Brass) they play the same from day one to 20 years later.

I was pleasantly surprised when my mandolin suddenly aquired a fuller and brighter tone 10 days ago. I was concerned with the occasional cracking noise that my The Loar made, but I suppose that was part of the opening process.

Just an observation by a musician who is new to the world of stringed instruments.

Bill Kammerzell
Mar-16-2016, 9:20pm
As a player of flutes (sterling silver) and a Sax (Brass) they play the same from day one to 20 years later.

I was pleasantly surprised when my mandolin suddenly aquired a fuller and brighter tone 10 days ago. I was concerned with the occasional cracking noise that my The Loar made, but I suppose that was part of the opening process.

Just an observation by a musician who is new to the world of stringed instruments.

That is it, opening up. If it has tone bars, like my Loar LM600 had, it probably has a way to go. ;)

Marty Jacobson
Mar-16-2016, 10:57pm
I was concerned with the occasional cracking noise that my The Loar made, but I suppose that was part of the opening process.

Ummm... no? Usually that is the result of strings loosening due to poorly cut nut or bridge slots, or extreme changes in temperature or humidity.

Mr5150
Mar-16-2016, 11:31pm
Ummm... no? Usually that is the result of strings loosening due to poorly cut nut or bridge slots, or extreme changes in temperature or humidity.OK. I know nothing mandolin wise. But despite the cracking sound the instrument stayed in tune. Humidty and temp is fairly constant.

I am pleased. My intrument sounds better.

allenhopkins
Mar-17-2016, 12:05am
When did you get the "cracking noise?" While playing, when taking it out of the case -- ?

Instruments aren't supposed to make "cracking noises." If the wood's actually cracking, that's a Bad Thing.

"Breaking in" a mandolin doesn't mean they actually break. The fact that the instrument stayed in tune doesn't mean it didn't crack, or a glue joint didn't let go, or a brace come loose somewhere.

I'd have it checked out, improved volume or not.

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 12:44am
When did you get the "cracking noise?" While playing, when taking it out of the case -- ?

Instruments aren't supposed to make "cracking noises." If the wood's actually cracking, that's a Bad Thing.

"Breaking in" a mandolin doesn't mean they actually break. The fact that the instrument stayed in tune doesn't mean it didn't crack, or a glue joint didn't let go, or a brace come loose somewhere.

I'd have it checked out, improved volume or not.When playing. Just happens once each time I played it. Happened each last eight times I played. Weird. Nothing split or separated. Yea, I have some concern. But nothing is changing structure wise.i

Tobin
Mar-17-2016, 7:14am
I have heard similar tales from others in the past. They say that all of a sudden one day while playing, their mandolin made a big cracking or popping sound and immediately sounded louder and better. I've never experienced it, but I don't doubt that it happens to some mandolins. It could be a number of things going on. Probably just parts settling, like the bridge or saddle getting fully seated, or the tailpiece re-seating itself at its support area (if it wasn't fully snugged up at the tail block), or something internal with tone bars. Or even something as simple as strings re-seating in their slots.

If it sounds better to you and you're sure nothing has broken, then enjoy it and play on!

Bertram Henze
Mar-17-2016, 8:05am
Is it possible that the bridge is sliding sideways, easing its way into better fit on the top, step by step? Some pictures might be helpful. And a recording of the event.

Happened each last eight times I played.

The number 8 gives me another weird guess: is it possible that none of the strings was sitting in its slot at the beginning, and now they are all "settled"?

T.D.Nydn
Mar-17-2016, 8:24am
I've had this noise before,,like,the suggestions above,,mine was in the bridge,and you might want to inspect it carefully for true alignment, the saddle and foot not in a straight line. This can be really an explosive situation.

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 4:03pm
Is it possible that the bridge is sliding sideways, easing its way into better fit on the top, step by step? Some pictures might be helpful. And a recording of the event.

I think it might be coming from the bridge or somewhere in the same part of the instrument.

T.D.Nydn
Mar-17-2016, 4:41pm
Check each side of the saddle, where the threads are for cracks. It might be just one side that is cracking. Check the side view alignment of the saddle and foot,they should be in a straight line.

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 5:29pm
Check each side of the saddle, where the threads are for cracks. It might be just one side that is cracking. Check the side view alignment of the saddle and foot,they should be in a straight line.Oops! I think the bridge/saddle is shifting.

Note the relation of the saddle to the F holes. Plus the varnish is dulled on the right side indicating that side has moved forward a bit.

T.D.Nydn
Mar-17-2016, 5:42pm
Yes, that bridge looks to be in excellent condition,, so you really got me here,,,,

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 5:58pm
So the placement of the bridge/saddle looks straight? I think it might have shifted a bit on the right side-forward. I guess all I can do is take it to the local shop.

Stevo75
Mar-17-2016, 6:04pm
It does look like the foot of the bridge on the treble side is closer to the neck compared to the other side. Take a look from the side, is the bridge sitting flat against the top or is it leaning forward (you'd see a gap between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the mandolin on the side of the tail piece.

JH Murray
Mar-17-2016, 6:05pm
Also make sure that your intonation is still good. Is it in tune when you play at the 12th fret? That will give you a clue if the bridge needs repositioning.

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-17-2016, 6:06pm
Oops! I think the bridge/saddle is shifting.

Note the relation of the saddle to the F holes. Plus the varnish is dulled on the right side indicating that side has moved forward a bit.

Mr5150, I can't shed any light on the 'cracking' noise. Just wanted to let you know that a properly located bridge might not necessarily be located symmetrically in relation to the 'f' holes. The bridge should be set to optimize intonation. One side might be forward of the other when set correctly.

And not knowing the history of this instrument, I'll also mention that if the bridge was set, even for a little while in a different position than it is now, the small marks in the top-finish are not too unusual.

Good luck. Sounds like you are enjoying it despite the strange noises!

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 6:26pm
Also make sure that your intonation is still good. Is it in tune when you play at the 12th fret? That will give you a clue if the bridge needs repositioning.

Mr5150, I can't shed any light on the 'cracking' noise. Just wanted to let you know that a properly located bridge might not necessarily be located symmetrically in relation to the 'f' holes. The bridge should be set to optimize intonation. One side might be forward of the other when set correctly.

And not knowing the history of this instrument, I'll also mention that if the bridge was set, even for a little while in a different position than it is now, the small marks in the top-finish are not too unusual.

Good luck. Sounds like you are enjoying it despite the strange noises! I did the check the intonation and it sounds right and confirmed with my tuner. Good points, Flatrock-I bought new from Folkmusician and they did the setup. No doubt they moved the bridge to optimize intonation.

Mr5150
Mar-17-2016, 6:37pm
It does look like the foot of the bridge on the treble side is closer to the neck compared to the other side. Take a look from the side, is the bridge sitting flat against the top or is it leaning forward (you'd see a gap between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the mandolin on the side of the tail piece.

No gaps. I can live with the occasion cracking noise. I consider this as my beginner mandolin. When I know what I am doing it will be replaced with something better.

dlee333
Mar-18-2016, 10:58am
That is it, opening up. If it has tone bars, like my Loar LM600 had, it probably has a way to go. ;)

Being that I am newish here, I have to ask what are tone bars, and how do you know if you have them? I have an Eastman MD315 F.

LadysSolo
Mar-18-2016, 8:42pm
Tone bars are on the underside of the top of the mandolin, and (although I have never tried it) can be seen with use of a dentist's mirror (or similar mirror) put through the tone hole(s) depending on if "f" holes or oval hole. The are important to the sound of the mandolin.