PDA

View Full Version : Travolin

Sweetpea44
Mar-14-2016, 4:01pm
Does anyone have any recent reviews on the Travolin mandolin? When I did a search, the threads were 4 or more years old. Does anyone have one and would like to make comments on it's build quality and playing? Do you like it? Thanks for any thoughts on it.

I can never find a Backpacker or Sweet Pea for sale, so I'm curious about these.

http://www.travolin.com/Home.aspx

CWRoyds
Mar-14-2016, 5:59pm
The problem with "travel" style instruments is that they always sound terrible. I have never played a travel version of an instrument that was worth having. I would just buy a cheap mandolin that you don't have to worry about and take that with you. Mandolins are pretty small to begin with as instruments go. I would get the cheapest Kentucky A style you can find (km150?) and get some useful playtime out of it. I might get beat up your travels, but just decide that this is what this mandolin is for. With a good gig bag, it will be light and very portable.

Sweetpea44
Mar-15-2016, 9:24am
Yes, I understand the limitations on having a 'travel size' mandolin. However, I was just curious if anyone had any recent feedback on this particular brand/maker. It looks similar to the Sweet Pea that is no longer in production. Does anyone have one that would like to comment? Thanks for any feedback.

CWRoyds
Mar-15-2016, 9:33am
Oops, sorry. My post did not answer the intention of your post. I have several travel instruments including a guitar and even a sitar. My post was just my reaction from my experience with those disappointments. Hope you find the answer to your question. There are quite a few videos for that model. It seems to sound about like what I expected, but it is kind of a sweet little thing.

kurth83
Mar-15-2016, 12:34pm
I have some success with an electric-style travel acoustic guitar, a Traveler ultra-light. It is super-quiet, like an electric, but I strung it with acoustic string so it feels right, that makes it a great hotel-friendly practice axe. And it fits in a suitcase in its tiny gig bag.

I have a similar style mandolin on order from TinGuitar, but won't have it until June, a long wait. My expectation is the higher pitched strings will be louder than the bass strings, creating a somewhat unbalanced sound, but given I can live with a guitar like that I am expecting to be able to live with it on mandolin too. My Godin A8 is half-way to that point and I don't mind its acoustic sound that much.

For me, I want to stuff travel instruments in a suitcase, I tried stuffing a cheap mando in mine last Christmas holiday and it didn't fit, but the traveler guitar did, so I only played guitar that holiday. I am looking forward to bringing both instruments next trip.

Sweetpea44
Mar-18-2016, 10:00pm
Thanks for the reply. The TinGuitar looks interesting, but appears to be in the UK. Do you know of similar ones in the USA?

Londy
Mar-18-2016, 10:22pm
The idea of a travel mandolin is really silly. They are small enough to being with. Why specnd money on something so inferior with a horrible sound? An insrument is meant to be played and sound great.

Pittsburgh Bill
Mar-18-2016, 10:38pm
I have a Travolin that plays nicely, is built durable enough to paddle a boat, and is extremely convenient to carry. That said, it still sounds like what it is, a travel Mandolin.
Some people proclaim no need for a travel Mandolin as mandolins are small enough. My experience traveling through Europe last fall made me appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight of the Travolin as I felt like an overloaded pack mule. In fact, I met other travelers that had drilled holes in their tooth brush to eliminate weight. Take care of the grams and the ounces take care of themselves.
And the tone.......... Pretty good when played softly as you would in flight, in a train or bus, or in a B & , or in a small gathering.. Try to play with volume and you will hear a travel Mandolin.

kurth83
Mar-19-2016, 2:54am
Thanks for the reply. The TinGuitar looks interesting, but appears to be in the UK. Do you know of similar ones in the USA?

Nope, just them, they ship to the USA (which is what I am doing), so their location is irrelevant to me, and the price is decent. Since it is custom built I was able to specify fret size for example at no extra charge.

Paul Busman
Mar-19-2016, 6:50am
I really wanted a travel mandolin too but didn't want to spend the $$. I built one for myself using a bolt on neck. It's a 4 stringer and doesn't sound like much, but at least I can play tunes on it and it fits in a suitcase. Clothing in the case protects it just fine.
I look for an 8 string from time to time but in truth I don't travel by air enough to make it worthwhile. By car it's really easy enough to bring a "real" mandolin.
For ultimate instrument portability, I carry one of the penny whistles I make. In acetal polymer it's super durable and waterproof.