PDA

View Full Version : Changing strings on a Gretsch New Yorker

David Lewis
Mar-14-2016, 6:53am
How do you do it? I just can't get the hook to hook... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Oliver R
Mar-14-2016, 8:12am
You have to sort of 'pre bend' the string and then hook it on....not easy.

UsuallyPickin
Mar-14-2016, 9:05am
Pull the string to tension and keep it in place with a capo while you wind it on the post / capstan.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-14-2016, 9:19am
Try using a rare earth magnet (available at hobby stores) to hold the string while you feed it through the slot. That tailpiece is more form than function. I generally use small round magnets but this (http://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics%C2%AE-Strong-Neodymium-Magnet/dp/B0181LX5Q0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457965275&sr=8-3&keywords=rare+earth+magnet) one at Amazon would work as well.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-14-2016, 9:23am
Pull the string to tension and keep it in place with a capo while you wind it on the post / capstan.

That probably isn't the issue on this one.

CWRoyds
Mar-15-2016, 1:30am
The tailpiece on the Gretsch mandolins was designed by Satan to taunt mankind.
It is be far the worst tailpiece on the planet.
Other than that they are neat little mandolins that cost very little.

When I change the strings, the only way it works for me is as follows:

Take the loop end of the string and bend it a full 90 degrees.
You can put a string on a hook and see where it is best to bend it.
Unfortunately for me it has to be bent at the top of the loop, just before the two parts of the loop come together.
This makes it a little tricky and can break a string if you are too harsh with it.
It is best to bend it around something.

Then thread the string through and under the badly designed cloud part of tailpiece, toward the bridge.
Hook the loop on to the hook at the loop end, while keeping tension from the bridge end of the string.
Keep tension while you draw the string up the fretboard.
Put a Capo across the fretboard to hold the string somewhat tight, which keeps the loop on the hook.

Then you take the free end of the string and thread it through the tuning machine post.
Wrap around the post and under the string, pulling up so that when the string tightens around the post it traps the string.
This keeps the string secure.
Arch the string up keeping a little tension between the tuning machine post and the capo using your ring finger and pinky, while you press the string near the tuning machine down so that the wraps go downward.
As the tuning machine tightens the arch of the string will come down toward the fretboard.
Keep a the arch as long as you can, and as it head to the fretboard, remove your ring and pinky fingers from under the string.
It should tighten a bit before you remove the capo.

Then you can tune up to pitch and you are golden.
It seem very complicated, but I honest almost threw my Gretsch out the window a few times during string changes.
I literally thought there might be no way to actually string the damn thing, until I figured out the method above.

For me, the Capo is essential.
Without it, it is very very difficult to keep tension, so that the loop stays on the hook.
It is amazingly frustrating when the loop keeps slipping off of the hook when you try to do it without the capo.
No matter how careful you are to keep some tension, the loop just jumps off the hook, as if it is doing it on purpose just to make you furious. Then you have to thread the string back under the cloud piece.
If you have already started the tuning machine post wrap this is a total pain because it is almost impossible to thread it backward through the tailpiece. You basically have to unwrap the string from the tuning machine and re-thread the string through the tailpiece from the rear.

I would love to kill this tailpiece for the pain it has given me, but I am a man of peace.
I should trade it out for a better tailpiece, but I would rather spend my money hot rodding my J Bovier F5 Special.
I just put an Allen TR-2 on the J Bovier and it is completely awesome.

Someday I might splurge on the Gretsch with a new tailpiece, but it would end up costing about as much as the mandolin did, so I am not rushing out to do it. I just live with old strings on the Gretsch until it is unbearable.

David Lewis
Mar-16-2016, 3:26pm
Thank you for all your replies. I have a capo and a magnet, so I'll report back on the weekend, if you want me to.

Danno R
Apr-02-2023, 10:08pm
I do also believe this tailpiece is straight from Satan and should burn forever and ever Amen! I like the idea of bending it at a 90 and the capo idea is genius but I still couldn't get it to hold so I also bent the loop from the side to make it more narrow and then bent the tip of the loop a bit too. This worked great and then with the capo to hold it in place I was able to finish it quickly.

Ray(T)
Apr-04-2023, 7:06am
If that was designed by Satan, who designed the one on my National RM-1?

Mainer73
Apr-04-2023, 8:58am
I'm sure the designer has never changed strings before.