PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Mandolin Banjo Help wanted

DarrenS
Mar-13-2016, 8:43pm
Hello Mandolin Cafe

I have a Gibson Mandolin Banjo that I am interested in having valued and possibly selling. I have been looking for information and need clarification.

I believe it may be made in 1922 at the Gibson factory. Looking at pictures of other mandolins from this era , mine has a few features that are different.

The bridge has no bridge cover, Im not sure if this is the original bridge

There is no back cover on this Mandolin Banjo but rather there is a movable disc inside the mandolin/banjo that can be moved around for different tones I believe. It may of being modified as it has a rough edge to the timber as if someone has cut it to a different shape.

The instrument sounds nice and only has 4 strings on at the moment. A slight buzz to some notes, may need tension adjustments to be made.

The Number stamped on the cross brace and inside of body is:

11600-4

The case has been printed with the name M.Berg and the case includes a tuning key.

If anyone had the time to give me some details and clarify its age and possible worth, that would be fantastic. i have had the instrument for 10 + years and it has not been played very often.

Thankyou in advance

allenhopkins
Mar-14-2016, 12:10am
Looks like an MB-0 to me, which was Gibson's least expensive mandolin-banjo. Don't know what the ridged "disk" inside the shell is; perhaps a retrofit? The Gibson factory order number "batch number" of 11600 seems to indicate 1922 manufacture.

Some other pictured Gibson MB's have similar bridges to yours, so it could be original. I'm pretty sure the four-pronged tailpiece isn't.

As to value, any instrument labeled "Gibson" will generate some demand. Mandolin-banjos are quite out of fashion, but the shells are sometimes sought by those who want to convert them to five-strings for clawhammer playing. And a mandolin-banjo can be an interesting and fun instrument it its own right.

Some of the higher-end dealers show listings of MB-1's upwards of $700. I'd maybe consider half that amount. With an MB, you kinda have to find a buyer who's into this type of instrument.

Others will doubtless join in with better perspectives.

Ronny Stecher
Mar-20-2016, 6:02am
I bought a nice one for $800 about 7 yrs ago. I initially loved it's sound (very unique), but the longer I had it the more I found I couldn't appreciate the Banjolin sound. I felt it was a museum piece, but don't have a museum. I gave it away in hopes to give it a home where it would be used and loved.

A lot of helpful folks offered their input when I started a thread seeking assistance, some you may find useful, Best of luck.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?54971-1923-Gibson-MB-4