PDA

View Full Version : Naming A Mandolin

Roger Moss
Mar-11-2016, 10:00pm
I am trying to decide what to name my new mandolin or whether to name it at all. It took me forever to name my cat (Sophie). So I will open up the question for discussion. Does anybody name their mandolin? If so what? Is it more difficult with more mandolins or less?

nickster60
Mar-11-2016, 10:49pm
I don't they seem to come and go.

Barry Wilson
Mar-11-2016, 11:05pm
I call one baby, but that is the extent of things. I had a bass I called the log because it weighed 400 lbs and I needed a padded strap just to play it

Tobin
Mar-11-2016, 11:06pm
Not to be dismissive or stifle a discussion, but we had a similar conversion less than two months ago. Some insight can be gleaned from this thread.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?121219-Do-you-name-it

DHopkins
Mar-11-2016, 11:06pm
I named my kids (society sorta requires that), my car came with a name (Kia), my ex-wife named certain parts of my body but I don't, and have never, named any of my mandolins.

colorado_al
Mar-11-2016, 11:48pm
I just traded for a Collings MT. I've been wanting a Collings for about 15 years. I never name my instruments but I've decided to name this one. I'm going to call it "My Precious". I was playing it today and I'm pretty sure when I put the strap over my shoulder, I turned invisible, and everybody around me looked like their faces were melting off! And it felt like I was being watched by the burning eye! So there's that...
Collectively, I call them "The Super Dudes", myself included!

Randi Gormley
Mar-12-2016, 12:12pm
I think a couple people here have said that they named their instrument Amanda/Mandy Lynn or some variation thereof ... or named their daughters that, or both. I just name them by their brand name: the Eastman, the bandolim, the Strad, the snake ... but I am curious if, once someone names their instrument, if they continue to refer to it by that name. I'm thinking of my cat, who came with the name Shadow (I inherited him when my mom died) but who has been variously called since we've gotten him, "cat," "nuisance," "mr. fluffy," "puss," "Mr. puss," "you in the fur coat," etc.

bingoccc
Mar-12-2016, 12:21pm
I just can't name non-animals. But Bush and Grisman did. To each their own.

T.D.Nydn
Mar-12-2016, 3:45pm
My cat is deaf,,so I dont have a name for her,,why bother? About every week I call her by a different name,last week it was Magda today it's Brittany...

fentonjames
Mar-12-2016, 8:07pm
i call my mandolin, "my mandolin."

Tobin
Mar-14-2016, 6:51am
but I am curious if, once someone names their instrument, if they continue to refer to it by that name.

I know a banjo player who named his banjo "Stella". Not only does he refer to it as Stella, but he talks to it.

DHopkins
Mar-14-2016, 7:12am
I know a banjo player who named his banjo "Stella". Not only does he refer to it as Stella, but he talks to it.

Isn't that sorta the norm for banjo pickers? :))

T.D.Nydn
Mar-14-2016, 7:35am
It's a Stelling isn't it?

Tobin
Mar-14-2016, 8:11am
It's a Stelling isn't it?

Yup!

Richard J
Mar-14-2016, 8:33am
I named mine Player

mandroid
Mar-14-2016, 1:40pm
My 5th tuned banjo uke has a wooden spruce head so got a Kawlija moniker,

Though old headstock decal says May Bell, Slingerland on the rim stick.

CarlM
Mar-14-2016, 1:56pm
Talking to your banjo is not a serious problem. It is a serious problem when it talks back.

JEStanek
Mar-15-2016, 8:52am
I do not.

Jamie

JeffD
Mar-15-2016, 9:18am
Years ago on Prairie Home Companion there was a baby naming contest. One of the staff had a new baby boy and opened up the naming to the entire radio audience.

Apparently there were thousands of submittals of names. At the end of the contest, he decided to name his son Larry.

Denny Gies
Mar-15-2016, 9:30am
Nope.