PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Identification/Value

MandoMonster
Mar-09-2016, 8:47am
Good morning guys, I'm looking for information on the following TWO mandolins. These are not in my possession, so these are the only pictures I have of the mandolins. The first mandolin is clearly a "Regal" brand, but I'm looking for approximate date, perhaps a model name, and a rough estimate of value. I understand these pictures are not much to work with. The second mandolin is a "Kay" brand, acoustic/electric mandolin that appears to be in pretty good cosmetic shape (based on the photos). I am well-aware that these are not high-dollar instruments, but I'm trying to learn a little more about these mandolins. So far, my "Google research" has yielded estimates on both mandolins to probably be somewhere between $150 to $350...

...your thoughts?

(Fun fact: I came across these two mandolins when a middle-aged woman contacted me saying she had two old mandolins stored away at home that belonged to her husband's grandfather. Needless to say, my heart was racing, and I was DEFINITELY hoping for a Loar...lol. I asked for pictures IMMEDIATELY. Oh well, still curious about this ol' Regal and Kay.)

MikeEdgerton
Mar-09-2016, 9:37am
30's-40's Regal Reverse Scroll, on eBay weekly, $150.00-$200.00 on a great day in great condition. The 50's-60's Kay electric, about the same on a good day. Check the Kay to make sure the neck joint is tight, they've been known to fail. That is an actual Kay "Kelvinator" headstock badge, not the fake ones that came in later years.

MandoMonster
Mar-09-2016, 10:08am
Awesome, thanks for the information Mike! I just glanced at eBay early this morning and a few other random places and pretty much saw the prices you've mentioned. I saw one ASKING $350ish...seemed steep to me, but that's why I thought I'd ask the Café folks! Sounds like these would be best left in the family for sentimental value rather than cash value. :)

Thanks again!

Jeff Mando
Mar-09-2016, 10:23am
Sounds like these would be best left in the family for sentimental value rather than cash value. :)

Thanks again!

Depending on the person's situation. Some people are sentimental, some are not. Some need the money, some don't. To some people, selling two old instruments that have been in the closet for years for $300-400 and taking the money to pay bills is a no-brainer. OR, get them out of the closet and hang 'em on the wall for decoration!

EdHanrahan
Mar-09-2016, 10:51am
To some people, selling two old instruments that have been in the closet for years ... is a no-brainer.

Like the folks who brought an old mandolin to the Denver Folklore Center:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_00826.shtml

(Yep... one of the first things I read on the Café. Get me hooked, much? Thanks, Scott & All!)