PDA

View Full Version : New Dave Matthews

bjc
May-10-2005, 6:24am
Greetings, earlier I had read something from Boyd Tinsley (Violin player for DMB( where he said he was really excited about the new album because he got to play some mandolin...electric mandolin to be totally true to the quote.
I recieved my copy of Monday afternoon and sadly it's only on one song "Everybody Wake Up." And it is hard to pick out...maybe it's the grungy instrument at the end of the song?
I guess I was hoping that he'd play it on more songs and that it might play a more prominate role...Still, I'd love to hear Chris Thile jam with them one night...

bjc
May-10-2005, 8:06pm
guess they are no Dave people here...tee hee

ira
May-10-2005, 8:58pm
i'm a big dmb fan, just hadn't gotten to read the cafe in a coupla days. i agree to bad he couldn't really jam a few on the mando in a clear way. eitherway, i haven't heard the cd yet, but the review in the boston globe today was glowing!

Keith Erickson
May-10-2005, 9:18pm
You know I think that the DMB is one of my favorite bands. I guess that I have not listened to them in a while because of the political bend they have.

Yeah I know Freedom of Speech blah, blah, blah.....

I just would like to go some place and listen to some good music without being preached to about some cause or be peppered with some propaganda.

Sorry for the rant.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Let me get back to the original thought on this post.

It's a shame if the mandolin took a back seat with DMB. I think it would have added tremendously to the sound.

Maybe you Boyd Tinsley was more comfortable with the violin rather than the mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

bjc
May-10-2005, 9:53pm
Keith, I probably agree with the politcal stance they take more than you, but I do not feel people should be getting their political opinions from pop stars, actors or AM talk show "entertainers"...excuse MY rant...tee hee...but maybe we should try to get Sam Bush, Nickel Creek or Rhonda Vincent to open for them and let what ever happens happen...
Maybe there were some tunes that did not make the record that had some cool mando stuff on it...PeacE...

Keith Erickson
May-11-2005, 9:51am
Keith, I probably agree with the politcal stance they take more than you, but I do not feel people should be getting their political opinions from pop stars, actors or AM talk show "entertainers"...excuse MY rant...tee hee...but maybe we should try to get Sam Bush, Nickel Creek or Rhonda Vincent to open for them and let what ever happens happen...
Maybe there were some tunes that did not make the record that had some cool mando stuff on it...PeacE...
BJC,

U2- Some of the Greatest Music ever; Ted Nugent- Awesome guitar player, but I'm not too fond of the preachy political stances.

I guess I come from the old school where you show up to a concert and have a great time and listen to some great tunes. #When you leave, you walk away with some good lóókin' chicks phone numbers. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

As for political opinions, I've formed those a long time ago. #I had a history teacher back in H.S. that actually taught the constitution and real history. #I guess they say there is a teacher that affected me, that would be him.

As for the mando tunes on the DMB album, that would be a total shame if they had some mando tunes that didn't make it. #As I said before, DMB is very talanted and should take advantage of the mandolin more often.

Just my two, three and four cents worth #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

bjc
May-11-2005, 5:33pm
Keith, I must say it was funny seeing Ted Nugent up there bragging about how he was drug and drink free as 10,000 cups of beer rose to salute his sobriety...Fiona Apple went off when I saw her years ago too...My feeling was "Shut Up and Play the Piano" I didn't not come to be lectured by a 19 year old on what I should eat...Oh, is my anger showing :-)
Guess I've gotten off topic...but Man, if Dave would just invite Chris to jam...

Keith Erickson
May-11-2005, 5:49pm
Keith, I must say it was funny seeing Ted Nugent up there bragging about how he was drug and drink free as 10,000 cups of beer rose to salute his sobriety...Fiona Apple went off when I saw her years ago too...My feeling was "Shut Up and Play the Piano" I didn't not come to be lectured by a 19 year old on what I should eat...Oh, is my anger showing :-)
Guess I've gotten off topic...but Man, if Dave would just invite Chris to jam...
BJC,

LOL http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif I know what ya mean!!!!!

Now if we pray hard enough and cross our fingers long enough, maybe a Dave Matthews & Chris Thile show would be the ultimate gig that would ever be.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandopete
May-11-2005, 6:13pm
Jeez, I always thought DMB stood for Del McCoury Band...guess I was wrong.

Or maybe I'm just to negative.

bjc
May-11-2005, 7:01pm
Hey Mandopete...don't worry it's not negative...but you probably wandered what was up with all those "DMB" stickers on the back of cars with UVA plastered on their back windows...tee hee

Damn, that dude should be living higher on the hog ;-)

hellindc
May-17-2005, 10:20pm
DMB was on Letterman last night, and Tinsley played what was either a fretless electric mando or an electric violin. None too inspiring. The band was great as always, but Tinsley didn't do anything interesting in the arrangement. He just figner plucked a repetitive series of arpeggios (sp?).

bjc
May-18-2005, 6:47pm
I didn't see the show, but Boyd often plays his violin in a guitar like position, so it probably was not a mando...and yes it would be a boring mando part to play...I'm tryin to steer my band towards covering some other than "American BabY"

Gotterdamerung
May-21-2005, 9:17am
Now if only they could write songs. I don't think that I can recall a greater waste of talent than the Dave Matthews Band. Very good musicians, especially the drummer, yet nothing but cheap pop songs with simplistic lyrics. They should have been prosecuted for that, rather than dumping waste into the river.

bjc
May-21-2005, 10:12am
Tell us how you REALLY feel...Wow!!! To each their own

dwc
May-28-2005, 9:52pm
alright, alright, alright...
Dave has written good songs, the thing about DMB is the songs they choose to release as singles are always the weaker songs
R2T- released "satelite" to limited airplay (good choice)
UtT&D- released "what would you say" first nationally, "satelite" was a much better song
Crash released "so much to say" and "too much" before "crash", never released "say goodbye" "cry freedom" or "41"
BTCS "don't drink the water" was first, took a year to release "crush"
ED released released "i did it first", only released "the space between" after it was on the Black Hawk Down soundtrack, never released "dreams of our fathers"

my big complaint is they never change their setlist in concert i like "seek up" and "tripping billies" but I have heard them 50+ times now.

dwc
May-28-2005, 9:55pm
and Carter is a great drummer, a bit busy, particularly from a bassist's pov, but really drives the songs, particularly live.

bjc
May-29-2005, 8:43pm
It's funny how you say they don't change thier set list...guess maybe you've gotten similar shows...I don't know...I used to play the same clubs (in fact opened for them one time when they were running late...smehow I didn't achieve the same level of success...tee hee) and they never (or rarely) opened or closed with the same song...you are right, however, to some extent depending upon the show and the venue, but I've seen them play show that were totally "hit" free and others that seemed like a "greatest hits/fan favs" show...that's what makes every show cool...just wish they'd invite and great mando player up on stage...

dwc
May-29-2005, 8:52pm
They closed with ants for years. In the early years they absolutely cooked. I uswd to sit outside of bars and listen when I was a kid. Stephen's just a couple of years older than me, I think.
To bring it back to mando, anybody ever try anything other than ants on mando, either the fiddle or guitar parts. I sometimes try to play sort of a dave style, really percussively, turning my mando into a little drum kit. I do Crash, not like dave, but it is a version (the song is pretty much a walking bass line and a drone chord, but I can't seem to voice the chord on mando).

BigRig
May-30-2005, 12:35am
This album is nothing but over-produced ####. I am extremely disappointed, but not shocked.

JeffS
May-30-2005, 2:19am
Now if only they could write songs. I don't think that I can recall a greater waste of talent than the Dave Matthews Band. Very good musicians, especially the drummer, yet nothing but cheap pop songs with simplistic lyrics. They should have been prosecuted for that, rather than dumping waste into the river.

What have you been smoking?

bjc
May-30-2005, 7:17am
I have played around with "Ants" and "Two Step" but have never made the effort to learn them all the way through...perhaps if I persaude my band to add these as covers then I'd have no choice...Hmmm

Gotterdamerung
May-30-2005, 8:54am
What have you been smoking?

I don't smoke anything, and I think that's part of the problem. I enjoyed Remember Two Things and Recently very much, but as soon as the band achieved a measure of commercial success, they went the path of the pop song. I tried listening to the newer albums, but between the painfully simplistic lyrics and the rock-star attitude, it was all too disappointing. Somehow I thought that Dave would develop as a songwriter--he even admitted that he writes weak lyrics, so I don't think any of this is news.