PDA

View Full Version : I played a circa 1900 Stridente mandolin on the weekend.

zedmando
Mar-07-2016, 7:19pm
It was cool--I don't know how well it matched up with other Stridentes or other bowl back mandolins, as I am not an expert, but it sounded good to me--it played well also.
It was priced at $450 (Canadian $)

Wish I'd been able to get a picture to share with you.
I also played a tricone reso mandolin--which I may be able to post a picture of.

If I had a spare $450 i would have been tempting, but I would also have done some research.

Jim Garber
Mar-07-2016, 8:48pm
If it was in good shape, that price is reasonable. For US-ers it is about $338USD. Stridentes are good serviceable Italian-made bowlbacks. Was it in a shop?

allenhopkins
Mar-07-2016, 10:25pm
...I also played a tricone reso mandolin--which I may be able to post a picture of...

Was it an original National tri-cone, and if so, what was the listed price?

Jim Garber
Mar-07-2016, 11:09pm
Was it an original National tri-cone, and if so, what was the listed price?

Allen: correct me if I am wrong but I don't think National ever made a tri-cone mandolin. I think all mandolins and ukuleles were single cones.

No, I correct myself... they did make it in the very early days. Those early tricone mandolins and ukuleles must be very rare.

zedmando
Mar-12-2016, 10:16pm
If it was in good shape, that price is reasonable. For US-ers it is about $338USD. Stridentes are good serviceable Italian-made bowlbacks. Was it in a shop?

yes it was in a shop--I have no affiliation with the place--but they had some cool old stuff.

zedmando
Mar-12-2016, 10:24pm
Different store-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/cflstampman/random%20and%20or%20funny/forum%20stuff/IMG_1150.jpg

allenhopkins
Mar-13-2016, 5:40pm
... they did make it in the very early days. Those early tricone mandolins and ukuleles must be very rare.

On p. 58 of Brozman's book, there are pics of a 1928 Style 2 National tri-cone mandolin. Brozman says they were only made in early '28; "the internal tricone set-up was replaced by the simpler single cone by late 1928, around serial #160. Mandolin serial number series begins at #100."

So, maybe sixty ever made, which is why I jumped on zedmando's mention of one in Canada. Unfortunately, from his pic (Post #6), looks like a Johnson/Republic or similar Asian-made mandolin -- single cone, nickel-plated brass body, Pearloid headstock overlay.

zedmando
Apr-03-2016, 1:01am
It was three cones-(or they did a good job at making it look like three--I almost always look inside resos as best I can.)-but I forget the brand name--and it's not clear in the picture--but no--it was't a National.