PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs Up For The Music Emporium

Mike Arakelian
Mar-04-2016, 10:19am
I just got back from a trip to the Boston area, and made my second visit to The Music Emporium. For mandolin inventory, this is a must visit store. On this trip, there were 30-35 really nice mandolins (a half dozen or so are presently in the classifieds). During my hour or so there I got to play a 2000 Rattlesnake F, a Northfield NF-F5S, a great sounding 1918 Gibson F4, a Phoenix Jazz Mandolin, four or five Collings (MT-2, MF5-O, MF-5, Mandola), a new Pava Player, and a beautiful 2014 Girouard F5. There was more to play, but not enough time. :(

I would have been a happy man walking out of that store with any one of the above mandos, but my heart really skipped a beat with the Girouard F5 followed very closely by the Pava Player...both really great mandolins.

The guys working in the store were both very accommodating and very helpful. I have NFI, but if you're ever in the Boston area, it's well worth the short drive to The Music Emporium. In addition to a great selection of fine instruments, you'll also get to visit historic Lexington. That's a win-win!

red7flag
Mar-04-2016, 10:33am
Two weeks ago I bought an MTO from Music Emporium. I became familiar with them when my cousin, who lives down Mass Ave from ME in Cambridge, would take me there to drool. They also have a collection of guitars that includes some very esoteric builders. Check out the Tippen Guitars. They were great to deal with buying the MTO. I ordered in the afternoon on a Wednesday and received the instrument on Friday morning. Pretty impressive. Came professionally set up, with new strings. Highly recommended. NFI.

sgarrity
Mar-04-2016, 10:44am
How was the Rattlesnake?

Mike Arakelian
Mar-04-2016, 11:50am
How was the Rattlesnake?
The Rattlesnake was, for definition sake, a really good BG mandolin. It had a nice dry, woody tone with a good chop and plenty of punch. It played very cleanly through the register. I found it somewhat similar overall to the Northfield. It did have some noticeable play wear, and I'm sure has been played a lot. After playing those two, I played the '18 Gibson F4 and quickly forgot about both the Rattlesnake and the Northfield. The Gibson was in a league by itself. There were so many good instruments and not enough time... I have to go back.:mandosmiley:

dschonbrun
Mar-04-2016, 3:19pm
It's a great store, and I'm fortunate to live 1 mile from it. Bought my Eastman and Northfield mando's there and the guys couldn't be nicer.

Mike Arakelian
Mar-04-2016, 4:55pm
It's a great store, and I'm fortunate to live 1 mile from it. Bought my Eastman and Northfield mando's there and the guys couldn't be nicer.

I truly envy you. :)