https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXWNa08Ftw

chris.burcher
Mar-03-2016, 6:42am
Cherokee Shuffle. Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

I confuse it with Lost Indian so maybe wiser ones will chime in

soliver
Mar-03-2016, 7:28am
The version of Cherokee Shuffle I've learned sounds different though it may be a handsome variation... I'm not familiar with Lost Indian.

Tobin
Mar-03-2016, 7:48am
It's a groovy tune, but it ain't Cherokee Shuffle or Lost Indian.

AlanN
Mar-03-2016, 7:54am
Sure ain't.

I think it's The Other Side Of Baker, Sam Bush.

Phil Goodson
Mar-03-2016, 8:11am
Cherokee Shuffle comes in later in the video but not at :17.

Richard.g.hampton
Mar-03-2016, 9:31am
I think it's Poor Richard's Blues - a Sam Bush tune he wrote when he was still a teenager.

Best

Richard

Mark Gunter
Mar-03-2016, 9:48am
Sounds like Poor Richard's Blues.

Don Grieser
Mar-03-2016, 9:50pm
It's definitely Poor Richard's Blues. Love this tune. Here's a slower closeup version of me playing it on a Stanley A5.

CEk4S1KNBbU

Kevin Stueve
Mar-03-2016, 10:10pm
Nicely done Don. Mark showed me the tabledit for this about 2 weeks ago I will be happy if I can get to your tempo consistently.

Mark Gunter
Mar-03-2016, 11:26pm
Great job, Don, I'm going to save your video as a reference for when I'm ready to tackle that one! Thanks for the slow closeup, really very helpful and a nice rendition of that great tune.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-04-2016, 1:13am
No idea what the tune is but the picker is Aaron Ramsey :- http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/artists/aaron-ramsey
Ivan

darylcrisp
Mar-04-2016, 5:35am
No idea what the tune is but the picker is Aaron Ramsey :- http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/artists/aaron-ramsey
Ivan

yep, you are correct Ivan.

I've actually met, watched and talked with Aaron a few times. The group Mountain Heart is top shelf.

And thanks to everyone for responding and figuring the tune out.

d

pops1
Mar-04-2016, 9:44am
Just on a side note the difference between Lost Indian and Cherokee Shuffle is Cherokee Shuffle has a short extra part in it otherwise they sound the same.

Stevo75
Mar-04-2016, 10:08am
Don, what mando are you playing in that video? Sounds great!

---Edit---
Nevermind, it says right there in your post it's a Stanley. I haven't had coffee yet...

AlanN
Mar-04-2016, 10:56am
My thought is Indian in D, Cherokee in A.

Don Grieser
Mar-04-2016, 5:57pm
My thought is Indian in D, Cherokee in A.

And the B parts are different if I remember right.

darylcrisp
Mar-04-2016, 6:21pm
Don, what mando are you playing in that video? Sounds great!

---Edit---
Nevermind, it says right there in your post it's a Stanley. I haven't had coffee yet...

and to rub salt in the wound(sorry Heff), if not mistaken, its the Stanley that Don sold to P Heffernan, and just recently repurchased from Pat when it was up for sale.
Thats a great sounding mandolin. (didn't Don Julin once own this mando?)

Tobin
Mar-04-2016, 8:13pm
And the B parts are different if I remember right.

Yes they are. Lost Indian is not crooked either, as I recall.

pops1
Mar-05-2016, 12:21am
Yes Lost Indian is straight and Cherokee Scuffle is crooked in the second part.

pheffernan
Mar-05-2016, 7:36am
and to rub salt in the wound(sorry Heff), if not mistaken, its the Stanley that Don sold to P Heffernan, and just recently repurchased from Pat when it was up for sale. Thats a great sounding mandolin. (didn't Don Julin once own this mando?)

Yes, that #46 is an outstanding sounding traditional mandolin that has passed through far better hands than mine. I'm grateful to have spent a year with it, learned a lot in the process, and would recommend Chris' work to anyone seeking that dry, meaty midrange. I have to admit that I've looked more than twice at the Stanley F5 that recently hit the classifieds:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/95824#95824

Stanley tone on an F5 frame with a radiused board and EVO frets? Be still my beating heart! :mandosmiley:

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-13-2016, 1:42pm
It's definitely Poor Richard's Blues. Love this tune. Here's a slower closeup version of me playing it on a Stanley A5.

Hey Don...Just wanted to say thanks again (besides the 'THANKS' button) for posting your close-up version of Poor Richard's Blues.
That video has been very helpful to me in learning and dissecting the tune. Nice job!

Don Grieser
Mar-14-2016, 5:28pm
FH: You're welcome. It's such a great tune. Enjoy!

Simon DS
Mar-14-2016, 6:07pm
Really nice one Don. I like that it's slow, and the slight hesitations and take offs after the chords are great.
-Oh no... this tune's gonna be rolling around my head all week!