PDA

View Full Version : A-Style Strap Question - Tying On Under the Fretboard Extension

jljohn
Mar-01-2016, 10:47am
For those of you who tie your strap onto your A-Style Mandolin under the fretboard extension: Do you leave it on all the time, or do you untie and take it off when not in use?

I see three ways of doing this. First is simply to tie a leather strap (a bit of rawhide) into a loop around the heel and under the extension and leave it there all the time. Second is to do the same, but untie it after each use, which seems cumbersome. The third is to have a very long loop of rawhide at the end of the strap and larks head the loop around the heel under the extension. This takes a few second to do and allows you to remove the strap fully from the mandolin after playing.

I'm just curious what people here do.

Thanks!

Canoedad
Mar-01-2016, 11:24am
Here's another way: Tie a length of rawhide to your strap. Don't make a loop out of it. Instead just double tie an overhand knot in the end (to make the knot larger). Push the length of rawhide with the knot on the end under your strings starting from the treble side up toward the base. Then move it up under the fretboard extension so that the knot is now on the top or base side of the fretboard extension.

The knot holds the length of rawhide from pulling through. It is too big to pass under the fretboard extension. Now you've got a strap system that is as easily removable on the fretboard end as it is on the strap button end.

journeybear
Mar-01-2016, 11:25am
I guess I'm not following you. Is this the upper or lower end of the strap? :confused:

I usually use some sort of cloth strip for a strap and slide the upper end under the strings just above the nut and loop it around the headstock where I tie it like a slipknot, and figure out some way to attach the lower end to the strap button, usually with a bit of wire. I don't have a fretboard extension. And I really wouldn't want the strap there, even if I did. Seems like it would be in the way, and also look awkward. Each to their own, I suppose ...

Here'w what I mean. This is from a conversation I was having with someone about calluses, so, um, try to look past that for your own sake. ;)

Canoedad
Mar-01-2016, 11:37am
This won't work without a fretboard extension. If my description isn't painting a picture (and it likely isn't) I'll take a picture but that's going to be a couple of days out.

journeybear
Mar-01-2016, 11:51am
Seems you misunderstood. I was responding to the OP, not your response. We posted at about the same time. Your description was fine. Don't put a lot of time into taking a picture! ;)

Potosimando
Mar-01-2016, 12:02pm

Been on thus for years.

Canoedad
Mar-01-2016, 12:04pm
Seems you misunderstood. I was responding to the OP, not your response. We posted at about the same time. Your description was fine. Don't put a lot of time into taking a picture! ;)

Ahhh ... thanks!

jljohn
Mar-01-2016, 1:06pm
I guess I'm not following you. Is this the upper or lower end of the strap? :confused:

I usually use some sort of cloth strip for a strap and slide the upper end under the strings just above the nut and loop it around the headstock where I tie it like a slipknot, and figure out some way to attach the lower end to the strap button, usually with a bit of wire. I don't have a fretboard extension. And I really wouldn't want the strap there, even if I did. Seems like it would be in the way, and also look awkward. Each to their own, I suppose ...

Here'w what I mean. This is from a conversation I was having with someone about calluses, so, um, try to look past that for your own sake. ;)

No, I am talking about looping it under the fredboard extension similar to what Potosimando does above. I think the loop falls better when it comes around the heel instead of around the body, but that's a minor shift. IMO the mandolin balances better that way. With the attachment at the headstock, my right arm has to push the mandolin into position in front of my body. With the attachment at the heel, the mandolin falls into proper place naturally.

Like this: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=121528&d=1405278219

journeybear
Mar-01-2016, 1:44pm
Oh! OK. Seems I misunderstood. :redface: I thought you were talking about looping it just around the extension itself, not around the body and under the extension. :confused: Thanks to you and Potosimando for clarifying. ;)

gtani7
Mar-01-2016, 3:16pm
how about this one from I Kelsall: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?116801-Any-suggestions-for-a-fully-adjustable-A-style-strap&highlight=strap+fingerboard+extension

LadysSolo
Mar-01-2016, 9:59pm
I crocheted a strap out of yarn, and fastened it under the fretboard extension as above. I thought it would interfere up by the nut, and it works pretty well where it is. The other part of your question: I leave it on all the time - I see no reason to remove it. Just made it the length and width I wanted (it is a little "stretchy" - if I make another one I will use heavier yarn to decrease the stretching.)

Tom Sanderson
Mar-01-2016, 10:28pm
For those of you who tie your strap onto your A-Style Mandolin under the fretboard extension: Do you leave it on all the time, or do you untie and take it off when not in use?

First is simply to tie a leather strap (a bit of rawhide) into a loop around the heel and under the extension and leave it there all the time.

Thanks!

I do it like this and leave it on all the time

terzinator
Mar-03-2016, 1:38pm
I do it like this and leave it on all the time
Yep, stays on all the time. No need to not.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-04-2016, 1:38am
The strap on my Ellis "A" style is on all the time. It's easy enough to remove if i need to,but as it's nice thin leather,it lies flat on my mandolin & doesn't cause any problems,
Ivan;)

Zach Wilson
Mar-05-2016, 7:16am
I braided my own strap out of some leather to the length I wanted tied it under the extention and around the heal (as shown above) I have left it there ever since.

JH Murray
Mar-05-2016, 7:39am
Another option is to put a strap button on the treble side of the heel so the strap is staying at behind the neck, out of the way of your left hand. Helps keep it balanced as well.

digitalshrub
Mar-25-2016, 3:27pm
Aw man, I'm in a conundrum myself. I just acquired a beautiful '22 Gibson A2. No fretboard extension, and no existing heel button. I'd hate to have one drilled in, but then again I'd also hate to have a strap around the nut area. Maybe I'll just resign myself to sitting when I play this one.

ifakesummando
Mar-26-2016, 3:57pm
I tried doing it that way and it seemed to me with the strap tied around the Dovetail area of the mando I was applying more pressure to that point as it was closer to my chest...and I would have to exert some downward pressure to the dovetail area when playing the fretboard....but when I tied it around the headstock between right in the middle of the tuning machine section...I would not have to apply that much pressure...in fact, it made it easier to "hold" the mando "up" while having the security of a strap without the need to apply pressure as much. I hope I am making this clear as it is a very subjective thing to experience and without a physics manual to verify my findings I can only hope some of you "grok" what I am putting down....in any case it feels SAFER to me to do it this way...and not put stress on the neck/body join....peace

LongBlackVeil
Mar-26-2016, 4:34pm
I doubt there's a significant difference when it comes to pressure on the neck joint. If anything you'd be putting more pressure on it with it tied around the headstock because you have a lot more leverage, but really it's not going to harm you're mandolin either way. So do what's comfortable. I feel like the strap under the extension is way better with a styles. It feels more like an f style would hang, and I think the headstock thing looks kinda dorky :P but to each his/her own

I just leave em on even if I don't use them half the time. That's why I like nice looking quality leather straps

yankees1
Mar-26-2016, 5:20pm
Stays on all the time with no problem in case.

Barry Wilson
Mar-26-2016, 5:27pm
I use these on my A styles and ukulele https://www.long-mcquade.com/4351/Guitars/Straps/Planet_Waves/Quick_Release_System_for_Straps.htm

Three-Dz
Mar-26-2016, 7:04pm
Here's the way I do it so that it's removable if you wish. Take a long length of rawhide and make a loop out of it and tie it to the end of the strap, you will have to adjust it to your mandolin so don't cut it off to short just yet. Take the the loop and pass it under the strings and fret board ext. Then open up the loop on the other side of neck and drop the other end of your strap through it and pull out slack. You can see how much length of rawhide you need and cut to preference and tie it on the strap tightly. When you want it off just simply pass it back through the loop. Let me know if pic is needed.

Stacey Morris
Mar-26-2016, 9:32pm
I have one of the small, flat fabric connectors from a name tag holder that I got from a conference. I have that under the strings just beyond the nut and have that tied through my leather strap. I tried tying under the fret extension, but I don't like it there. It was too close (for me) to the butt end so was too much of a closed loop. Probably because I started out with the strap tied at the nut, but now it just feels more natural to me.

jljohn
Mar-27-2016, 8:17pm
Here's the way I do it so that it's removable if you wish. Take a long length of rawhide and make a loop out of it and tie it to the end of the strap, you will have to adjust it to your mandolin so don't cut it off to short just yet. Take the the loop and pass it under the strings and fret board ext. Then open up the loop on the other side of neck and drop the other end of your strap through it and pull out slack. You can see how much length of rawhide you need and cut to preference and tie it on the strap tightly. When you want it off just simply pass it back through the loop. Let me know if pic is needed.

Yeah, that's the "larks head" option I mention in the OP. That's what I've settled on to for the time being. I like it because I can take it off easily if I want, but it's no more cumbersome that a single strand of rawhide passing under the extension.

Three-Dz
Mar-27-2016, 9:42pm
Agreed, that's my preferred way. I find it doesn't move around like a single strand either.

itstooloudMike
Mar-29-2016, 7:41am
Maybe I'm just weird, but I could not get comfortable with the strap tied under the fretboard extension on my Weber Bitteroot-A. It worked OK, but didn't feel balanced to me. So I tried just attaching to the headstock, and have found that I like it best there. As primarily a guitar player, I didn't want to attach the strap at the headstock, because I didn't like how it looked. But from a playing perspective, it works really well for me. The mandolin is well balanced, and the neck stays in a comfortable playing position. So, I have decided that it's staying at the headstock, even if it doesn't look "cool". It's also easy to remove the strap when I want to put the mando in the case.

Astro
Mar-29-2016, 8:41am
I think a lot of the preference of this type thing is determined by ones anatomy. Where the best balance point occurs could depend on how wide ones shoulders are and could truly vary from person to person. I have narrow shoulders. When I attach at the headstock, the mandolin shifts too far to my right. I'm always fighting it trying to pull it back to the left. Yet I have a small o sized guitar that sits perfect when attached at the headstock. I have another that sits best when attached on the heel with a button. Different lengths and balance points I guess.

I may not have attached it correctly, but I tried my A style mandolin with the string under the extension and strap attached to it and it didnt sit well either. It centered well but the mandolin wanted to roll over or rotate along the long axis like it was top (bass side) heavey and I was always fighting to keep it up. A button installed on the underneath side of the heel worked perfect for me on that one. The mandolin hangs centrally and doesnt flop over.

Do what feels best in balance.