PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Banjolin info

Tpulk
Feb-29-2016, 1:46pm
My folks bought me this banjolin a while back at a flee market. The brand says Wizard. The neck is cracked down the grain quite a bit and the body could use some touch ups but other then that, it seems to be in decent condition. I'd never attempt to string it without prior knowledge of just how playable it might be. So that brings me here. I was hoping someone might have some background on where this brand was manufactured, the potential worth, frankly any useful information you might have and if it even seems remotely worth putting money in to get it playable again or if is this should be a show piece on my wall.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-29-2016, 1:53pm
Could you post some pictures, otherwise we are just guessing. The potential worth for a mandolin banjo other than a few major brands isn't very high.

Tpulk
Feb-29-2016, 2:00pm
Could you post some pictures, otherwise we are just guessing. The potential worth for a mandolin banjo other than a few major brands isn't very high.

If I knew how, I would gladly! Hahaha.

allenhopkins
Mar-01-2016, 12:16pm
Quite possibly a Stromberg-Voisinet product, if this ukulele page (http://theukaholic.blogspot.com/2011/09/wizard-clarion-concertone-and-other-odd.html) is accurate.

If so, Chicago made, mid-range quality, and -- as Mike E points out -- not in demand in the current marketplace. Fix it up if you'd like to play it yourself, but not in hopes of a major payday.

pops1
Mar-01-2016, 11:28pm
If you string it up use light strings, it is a banjo after all. I usually recommend two sets of tenor banjo strings, but you can use a light gauge of mandolin strings too. Just try to keep the gauges similar to a banjo and it will sound better and last longer.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-01-2016, 11:32pm
I've seen that brand name on UK built MB's as well.

Tpulk
Mar-02-2016, 4:01am
It is very similar to those in the photos from the link above but the largest difference between mine and all of those photos is that it has the eight strings, as traditional of a mandolin. The brand label is identical to those other "Wizard" brand instruments though. I have yet to see an actually eight sting Wizard banjolin like my own.