PDA

View Full Version : Needing info on a Springfield mandolin

Robert Houseright
Feb-26-2016, 4:10pm
My dad bought this a few years back and we can't fin any info on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is an f style sunburst, it looks identical to his Epiphone mm-50

Robert Houseright
Feb-26-2016, 4:37pm

piersongh96
Feb-26-2016, 4:50pm

I am in the same boat. I have a old Alverez A910, but other than that I have no information about it
absolutely nothing.

JH Murray
Feb-26-2016, 5:50pm
Could this (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=127896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=40d4565ce42cbc227a36476017dd1feb)be the company?

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2016, 6:00pm

I am in the same boat. I have a A910. apparently its a Springfield Florentine, but other than that, absolutely nothing.

Actually that has the Alvarez logo on it. From the tuners I'd say 70's-80's. It's an F4 hybrid copy, looks decent. Contact St. Louis Music and see if they can give you a date of manufacture. There aren't a whole lot of those floating around that I've seen. That doesn't up the value, it just means there aren't a whole lot of them floating around.

http://www.stlouismusic.com/

Robert Houseright
Feb-26-2016, 6:01pm
We are not sure on anything. Pop's doesn't even have a label inside.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2016, 6:02pm
My dad bought this a few years back and we can't fin any info on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is an f style sunburst, it looks identical to his Epiphone mm-50

That was a common import model brought in under dozens of brand names including Epiphone.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2016, 6:03pm
Could this (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=127896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=40d4565ce42cbc227a36476017dd1feb)be the company?

Not a chance.

Robert Houseright
Feb-26-2016, 6:13pm
Hopefully you have better success on your Alvarez then I have had...

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2016, 6:17pm
Your Springfield could have been a house brand for a retailer. These mandolins were made for the trade and were labeled under many brand names. If you were willing to buy enough of them they labeled them. Some came in with no brand name on them at all. The three screw truss rod cover and the copy of the 70's Gibson inlay on the fretboard identifies it. The factory they were made in country of original might be available if we can match it up to a known product. Can you post some pictures of the back?

Robert Houseright
Feb-26-2016, 6:24pm

- - - Updated - - -

Big Joe
Feb-27-2016, 1:43pm
Springfield was the brand for Springfield Guitars in Springfield TN. Marlin Rood imported them under the store name. There were acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass, and mandolin. They were decent instruments for the money. Marlin is a great guitar, mandolin, and banjo player and has played bluegrass and old time music most of his life. His shop is still going. They do lots of lessons with great teachers, and do some repairs as well as the retail aspect.

Robert Houseright
Feb-28-2016, 5:37pm
Springfield was the brand for Springfield Guitars in Springfield TN. Marlin Rood imported them under the store name. There were acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass, and mandolin. They were decent instruments for the money. Marlin is a great guitar, mandolin, and banjo player and has played bluegrass and old time music most of his life. His shop is still going. They do lots of lessons with great teachers, and do some repairs as well as the retail aspect.

Thank you! We was comparing it to his epiphone a little more closely and boy are they almost identical!

acousticphd
Mar-01-2016, 1:38pm

https://www.facebook.com/Springfield-Guitar-Company-116118368436845/

Thanks, Joe. I was going to give my version of a similar reply, but I'm sure yours is more complete.
The link is to the Springfield Guiitar Store FB page. I visit Springfield (TN) Guitar almost every week. My understanding from Marlin is that the store at one time (~15 yrs ago) was one of the most significant dealers of Epiphone instruments in the US. The import store brand, I believe, was made at the Epiphone Korean factory. Nearly all the branded instruments say "Springfield Guitar Company", but the "Springfield" on the mandolin pictured is definitely the same script.
I can only recall having seen 1-2 mandolins with the label/logo, and don't recall seeing any other acoustic instruments in the time I've known Marlin and frequented the store. There are still a number of electric guitars hanging around.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-01-2016, 3:02pm
... I believe, was made at the Epiphone Korean factory...

I don't think Epiphone (Gibson) owned that factory. It was probably built in the same factory as the Epiphone mandolins of the time. The timeline would have been quite possible for Korean manufacture.