PDA

View Full Version : Snakehead A Jr. in natural finish?

Doug Freeman
Feb-26-2016, 3:21pm
I've never seen one of these before. Is it pretty unusual?

http://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/gibson-a-jr-1924

mandobassman
Feb-26-2016, 3:29pm
Interesting, why would a 1924 snakehead have a non-adjustable bridge. Weren't they all adjustable bridges by then? It is pretty though.

Tom C
Feb-26-2016, 4:13pm
I think refinished maybe a long time ago as there is wear. If you look at clos up on back, the binding on top left side. Also on front, above the cross piece, the pours look dark.

Jill McAuley
Feb-26-2016, 5:36pm
Interesting, why would a 1924 snakehead have a non-adjustable bridge. Weren't they all adjustable bridges by then? It is pretty though.

I have a '27 snakehead Ajr and it has a non-adjustable bridge on it, pretty sure it's original. Would the Ajr's have had non adjustable ones in keeping with the "economical" theme?

F-2 Dave
Feb-26-2016, 5:41pm
I believe all A jrs. came with a non adjustable bridge. But, I could be wrong.

barney 59
Feb-27-2016, 1:28am
Those guys know their stuff at The Music Emporium ---but it sure looks like a refinish from here! Every Jr I've seen has a non adjustable bridge, But wouldn't the 1927 be an A-0?

lenf12
Feb-29-2016, 10:57am
It appears to me to have been Sheraton brown originally. The "binding" on top looks to be the brown stain left on rather than sanded off. Check out this link: You can see the ends of the spruce grains.

http://themusicemporium.com/isotope/m/ma16003_750_9.jpg

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

barney 59
Feb-29-2016, 4:30pm
That and the glue line where the back and sides meet --looks like it had one of those Gibson disease (I call it)repairs. Music Emporium calling it "original" is very uncharacteristic of them.Stu Cohen would have called that a refinish from 30 feet away!

LongBlackVeil
Mar-25-2016, 1:12pm
So wouldn't that mean that it's overpriced by quite a bit?

Idk anymore though, it seems the Gibson As have been constantly getting more expensive and especially the snakeheads. Or at least, people keep asking more and more for them. Not sure if they're getting the prices that they're asking

Gerry Cassidy
Mar-25-2016, 2:07pm
My '25 Jr. has a NA Bridge on it and is the standard Sheraton Brown. I've never seen one that wasn't without being refinished.

I emailed them about it and they are sticking to their guns. These are guys that do this for a living, and are right down in the thick of things, so they definitely know better than me! :)

Timbofood
Mar-25-2016, 6:57pm
Something does not ring quite right for me, gut feeling is refinish but, I have been wrong before. At any rate, they still have it.

barney 59
Mar-25-2016, 9:08pm
So wouldn't that mean that it's overpriced by quite a bit?

Idk anymore though, it seems the Gibson As have been constantly getting more expensive and especially the snakeheads. Or at least, people keep asking more and more for them. Not sure if they're getting the prices that they're asking

Seems that the price of Ajr snakeheads available from dealers are running around (+ -) $1800--brown ones that is. If that one is actually original then the price is about right-- but giving them the exception of the doubt it's somewhat rare so that would be actually a low price for a blond topped jr. If it is a refinish then the price is high. Is it still Bollman and Cohen in the shop? They know their stuff. I haven't been that way for many years so maybe there is another crew these days. Take a blacklight with you if you go to check it out.

allenhopkins
Mar-28-2016, 12:01am
...Is it still Bollman and Cohen in the shop? They know their stuff. I haven't been that way for many years so maybe there is another crew these days...

Last time I was there, Stu Cohen was behind the counter, but I don't think Jim Bollman's affiliated any more.

Corrections welcome.