PDA

View Full Version : George Washburn Mandolin

dougl122
Feb-26-2016, 10:12am
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a beginner mandolin. I have a Kentucky KM-140, but it's a very old model (early 2000s), all laminate, not so great condition. At a minimum, I think just getting a new KM-140 or KM-150 would be a significant upgrade.

I came across a George Washburn M-3SW/TS on craigslist. This seems like a good deal, especially if I could talk them down a little bit. Anybody have experience with this model or general thoughts on whether this is in fact a good deal?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msg/5448942072.html

Thanks!

Pete Summers
Feb-26-2016, 10:23am
I'm guessing that would also be a laminate instrument. If you don't need an F style, I'd look at the Rover RM50 all wood, carved A style at Elderly for about $150 set-up (nfi). I have an all black model and it is excellent for the money, I think. Or spend a little more for some of the all wood Kentuckies.

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a beginner mandolin. I have a Kentucky KM-140, but it's a very old model (early 2000s), all laminate, not so great condition. At a minimum, I think just getting a new KM-140 or KM-150 would be a significant upgrade.

I came across a George Washburn M-3SW/TS on craigslist. This seems like a good deal, especially if I could talk them down a little bit. Anybody have experience with this model or general thoughts on whether this is in fact a good deal?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msg/5448942072.html

Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2016, 10:34am
Solid top, laminated back and sides.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/washburn-m3sw-f-style-mandolin-w-case

Caleb
Feb-26-2016, 2:59pm
I'd steer clear of the Rover. I know a guy who got one of those and it began literally coming apart at the seams within weeks. His experience might not be typical, but those issues, and the fact that he got no help from the shop he bought it from, was enough to sour him on the mandolin. A real shame. Upgrading to a new Kentucky A-style would be a good move: they are making some seriously good mandolins these days.

Pete Summers
Feb-27-2016, 11:15am
I'd steer clear of the Rover. I know a guy who got one of those and it began literally coming apart at the seams within weeks. His experience might not be typical, but those issues, and the fact that he got no help from the shop he bought it from, was enough to sour him on the mandolin. A real shame. Upgrading to a new Kentucky A-style would be a good move: they are making some seriously good mandolins these days.

I definitely don't think your friend's experience is typical. I have owned two RM50s, one from Ebay, the other from Elderly. Both were (and still are) excellent. Certainly purchasing from Elderly or Folkmusician would preclude his issue with the shop that sold him the instrument. The Rover I got from Elderly a couple of years ago came beautifully set up and sounds good. I do agree, though, that the Kentuckys nowadays are also excellent. The RM50 is a budget instrument, of course, but a great value for the money for folks on a budget.