PDA

View Full Version : 1992 F-5L string issues HELP!

Stringsalot
Feb-14-2016, 10:06pm
I have a mint '92 F5L that is beautiful and sounds pretty good. The instrument appears to have been played very little. But, whenever I fret the G string pairs, the two strings "split" or "spread apart" and the outer string tends to roll off the fretboard. The strings look normal.... What could cause this? The spacing between the two at the bridge appears to be a bit wide, the bridge may be slightly shifted to the top..... Any help would be appreciated. I am new here and maybe wil post a pic when I find how to do so.

Thanks,
Kevin

jan281969
Feb-14-2016, 10:39pm
It sounds like you need an overall set-up.By that i mean a new nut,bridge,attention to the frets and checking for any truss rod adjustment.To wide of unison string spacing "will" cause problems like you mentioned.Lynn Dudenbostel in Knoxville Tn. is a trust worthy name for mandolin set up or if you feel comfortable with someone closer to you i would try that,,,that is my suggestion and i hope this helps!

Stringsalot
Feb-14-2016, 11:07pm
Hi. And thanks for the reply. Is this common to replace the factory nut and bridge on a "like new" instrument?
Thanks for your help.

jan281969
Feb-14-2016, 11:25pm
Check to see if the bridge is lined up with the fretboard "evenly" also,,,there are a couple of common sence things like this to check----but yes a nut and bridge is a common replacement at any time.I have bought a mandolin or two that i loved the way they sounded but that played and noted bad.I would however have a pro do any work like this or it may end up worse.And a 1992 is no spring chicken so it may need some attention??????:):)

Stringsalot
Feb-14-2016, 11:53pm
Here is a pic....

pops1
Feb-15-2016, 12:04am
What is the gauge of strings, if they are light and you pull it looks close and you could pull them off, nothing that changing the way you fret won't fix. I used to pull my A strings out of tune and had to work to change so I could play them without pulling one out of tune

allenhopkins
Feb-15-2016, 3:14pm
Looks like the "outside" nut slot for the 4th course of strings, is pretty close to the edge. New nut could fix it.

mandobassman
Feb-15-2016, 3:42pm
Looks like the "outside" nut slot for the 4th course of strings, is pretty close to the edge. New nut could fix it.

I thought the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just the angle of the photo. Both of the outer strings look very close to the edge of the fretboard right near the nut, but especially the G course.

Stringsalot
Feb-15-2016, 8:45pm
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I think it is a combo of the nut being to close to edge, coupled with wider (than any of my others) spacing between the course at the bridge. Strange though. I swear the instrument appears to never been played, and hardly touched. Not so much as a scratch or mark of any kind anywhere. Makes me question the quality of the build back in '92?

Willie Poole
Feb-15-2016, 9:40pm
If it was mine I would try moving the bridge down just a tad to see if that wouldn`t correct it, I had the same problem on an F-5L, just make sure the E strings don`t do the same if you do move it...It would only take a slight movement, it looks like the bridge is centered in relation to the fingerboard.....

onassis
Feb-16-2016, 7:31am
Not to nit-pick, but I don't think it's possible for the bridge to sit out of alignment. Unless there is something mechanically anchoring it (pin, notch), it will always lie in a direct line between the tail-piece and the nut. The problem would have to be with the bridge or nut slots.

Timbofood
Feb-16-2016, 8:31am
I have had a bridge "slip". Granted, not much but, it CAN happen. However, I have never had one creep toward the bass side.

mandobassman
Feb-16-2016, 1:10pm
I have seen this haapen where the bridge is not centered. You would think that even pressure from the G and E courses would keep it centered, but I've seen it. To me, this looks like the nut slots are too far out on the nut, like it was sloted for a wider fingerboard.

Phil Goodson
Feb-19-2016, 4:01pm
Not to nit-pick, but I don't think it's possible for the bridge to sit out of alignment. Unless there is something mechanically anchoring it (pin, notch), it will always lie in a direct line between the tail-piece and the nut. The problem would have to be with the bridge or nut slots.

Wrong. Plenty of friction under the bridge. It will not automatically self-center.

pops1
Feb-19-2016, 4:36pm
Wrong. Plenty of friction under the bridge. It will not automatically self-center.

+1 I have moved mine several times to center, usually stays there, but it takes quite a bit of force to move it sideways. A lot less to move it forward and back to intonate.

Timbofood
Feb-19-2016, 5:48pm
I think the OP issue is a "Willie Wonka" issue....
Bad Nut
I'm going to go back to my corner now!
Have fun folks!

GTison
Feb-24-2016, 5:35pm
My 02 Fern did the same thing I slid the bridge saddle over a bit. When I had it refretted I made sure the luthier knew this was a problem and told them not to bevel the frets very much on that side. I don't have the problem anymore. Bridges can move and creep about especially when you change strings, or put pressure on it when you are playing.