PDA

View Full Version : What to learn next.

Kevin Stueve
Feb-12-2016, 10:14pm
Okay I have an eclectic taste in music and a perhaps intermediate skill set on Mando after almost a year.

I just finished a 12 week journey learning and memorized Bach Cello Suite 1 Prelude. Intermixed with picking up Chinquapin Hunting, Walk Chalk Chicken and Ricketts Hornpipe.

I like to challenge myself but know if it is too difficult I'll just drop it. So looking for suggestions.

As an upperbounds I looked at Monroe's Bluegrass Stomp, the doublestop triplets appear to be beyond me right now (sounds like mud when I try).

Mark Gunter
Feb-12-2016, 10:35pm
How about Poor Richard's Blues by Sam Bush?

Kevin Stueve
Feb-12-2016, 10:54pm
thanks I had pulled down a pdf of Sam's Old North Woods, but Poor Richard's Blues looks a touch better to start on. Both songs are in Gm , is that common for Sam?

Mark Gunter
Feb-12-2016, 11:25pm
Seems he likes that lonesome minor sound - but don't we all?

Here's Bach Invention #4 in .tef, maybe not as difficult as the Prelude you learned . . . I'm still working my way through it:

Tobin
Feb-12-2016, 11:25pm
I would recommend learning the "old standards". Whiskey Before Breakfast, Soldier's Joy, etc. They are good solid tunes, great for learning, not too difficult in their basic versions but can be spiced up as fancy as you wish.

Kevin Stueve
Feb-12-2016, 11:30pm
I would recommend learning the "old standards". Whiskey Before Breakfast, Soldier's Joy, etc. They are good solid tunes, great for learning, not too difficult in their basic versions but can be spiced up as fancy as you wish.

WBB is part of my warm up most days

Mark Gunter
Feb-12-2016, 11:34pm

Sounds like good advice. While working on that Bach piece I learned the mandolessons.com beginner tunes Coleman's March, Julia Delaney's, Whiskey Before Breakfast, Irish Washerwoman, Shove That Pig's Foot A Little Closer To The Fire, Sailor's Hornpipe and others; those can be a little challenging but Baron teaches note for note and if you pick up a tune by ear it's not that difficult to learn just basic versions. For more work on double stops and such, I also found Black Mountain Rag and Church in The Wildwood to be a lot of fun, then there's stuff like Ashokan Farewell. Looking at that Bach piece you tackled, none of these should take long to at least get a basic grip on.