PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this mando!

crunkrockjoseph
Feb-12-2016, 8:22pm
I am just curious if anyone could tell me anything about this mandolin. It seems pretty cheap, and surely not usable. I was just wondering what it is. Thanks for your time folks.143587143588143589143588

mrmando
Feb-12-2016, 8:33pm
It's a Kay, made in Chicago, from the 1950s or thereabouts. Yeah, the tuner buttons are toast, but they can be replaced. I don't see anything else wrong with it.

Jim
Feb-13-2016, 10:53am
These are known for having their neck pull loose, if that hasn't already happened string with light strings.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-13-2016, 11:13am
Replacement Kluson tuners can be found here (http://www.wdmusic.com/tuners_kluson_supreme.html). They will cost about what the mandolin is worth unfortunately. The buttons can be replaced. It was indeed made by Kay and the tuners with the crumbling buttons date it from around 1950 through the early 60's.

Jeff Mando
Feb-13-2016, 12:40pm
I agree with the above postings. Probably not worth putting a lot into, but if you want to play it, and it has a straight neck with no other issues, you will need tuners and new strings. Or at least replace the buttons on the original tuners. which can be tricky to do right, without getting them crooked and the cost is still $2-3 per button. Another thing I've noticed is that most of the replacement buttons sold are for guitars, which actually have a more oval shape and are larger than the mandolin buttons, which are round and smaller in size. A lot of suppliers don't seem to make this distinction. Another option would be to put some inexpensive generic tuners on it, like Ping brand, just to get it up and running again.

Brian Evans
Feb-14-2016, 10:10am
Value, if it's otherwise playable, is probably in the $150 - $250 range. I just got one from the early 1940's for $150, all intact and quite playable. Old instruments have a certain intrinsic value to me that I can't put aside - I rescued mine from a junk shop. Kay made instruments for many private label brands and music distributors, no label or serial number is very common. The headstock shape and the F-holes are very distinctive.