PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight case for my mandolin.

constatty
Feb-12-2016, 11:37am
After carrying around my heavy Pegasus case at SPBGMA for 4 days I became envious of other folks carrying their mandolins around in lightweight cases. I want to get a more lightweight case that still has some protection. One that also has backpack straps would be cool but not absolutely required. I can still use the Pegasus when I fly but for wandering festivals and like events I'd sure like to find a great lightweight replacement. Please give me your recommendations and experiences. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

George R. Lane
Feb-12-2016, 11:46am
I would recommend a Travelite case, lightweight, good protection and has backstraps.
Mike Marshall uses one for his Gibson Loar.

Chunky But Funky
Feb-12-2016, 12:17pm
I like the Reunion Blues Continental tenor uke / "A" style case I have. It meets your requirements. You would need the mandolin case if you have an "F" style. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the zippers on the Reunion Blues gig bags as I have multiple times with the Travelite. That comes at a cost though. The Reunion Blues is about double the cost of a Travelite, if I remember correctly.

Doug

constatty
Feb-12-2016, 1:04pm
The Reunion Blues case looks very interesting. I have had zipper and other problems with my Travelite guitar case. I see that Elderly carries it.
http://www.elderly.com/reunion-blues-midnight-continental-mandolin-gigbag.htm

I also see they carry an Access case and wonder if anyone has tried those cases.
http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-three-hb-mandolin-gigbag.htm

I have also seen that Gator has a nice looking mandolin case too.

Has anyone tried or checked out any of these?

pit lenz
Feb-12-2016, 1:28pm
I have the ReunionBlues mandolin gigbag and it is EXCELLENT!
Sturdy, very well made, light, zippers are robust and those backpack straps are really comfortable.
Riding my bike around town, I barely feel the case on my back.
It is very large inside, though, I had to add some padding so the mando wouldn't bounce around.
Very happy with it!

pops1
Feb-12-2016, 1:47pm
I have a TKL shaped mandolin case that I modified to have a shoulder strap. I rarely use the handle, I pick it up by the strap and sling it on my shoulder. Sometimes I will carry the wifes guitar and or banjo too. Even if it is just to walk to the car it goes on my shoulder. It's not a light as a travelight, but I really don't notice the weight on my shoulder with a wide strap.

constatty
Feb-12-2016, 1:56pm
Thank you. Is there storage on the inside of the Reunion Blues bag or only on the outside? I looked at some pictures but couldn't tell if there was a compartment inside.

Steve Ostrander
Feb-12-2016, 2:40pm
My Travelite is the lightest case I own, and the best.

Eric F.
Feb-12-2016, 3:03pm
I have the guitar version of that Access bag, and it's very nice. I don't think it's as protective as a Travelite case, but it's way more protective than your average gig bag.

pit lenz
Feb-12-2016, 5:37pm
Constatty,
there are no storing compartments inside.
I can slip a normal business envelope with lyrics or music sheets under the mando, the zipped compartment at the outside carries strings, stuff and a box of 10 harmonicas and an iPad, if I want.
Here are some pictures from the inside that might answer your questions :

Mando (with Tonegard) in padded case:

Mando in case without pad:

Pad I made from casemaker`s foam:

Empty case with padding frame:

Room around headstock:

:)

constatty
Feb-12-2016, 8:49pm
Thank you, It looks like a great case but it sure doesn't look like it fits your mandolin without your clever alteration. Those pictures really helped. Thank you very much.

darylcrisp
Feb-12-2016, 10:30pm
i'm a huge fan of nice gigbag/soft cases. all my instruments ride in them, i use a shoulder strap to sling them over one shoulder or diagonal across the chest.

i've owned the access you show above, Reunion Blues continental, and settled on the Reunion Blues vintage.
The Access and Continental are large, larger than the stock hardshell, and if memory serves just as heavy. They are pretty much bombproof imo, even standing on them showed little to no dip/flex.

i don't need or want that size, and or that amount of protection. the reunion blues vintage is very close to the size of an original hardshell case. very well padded and the instrument fits better and tighter with no movement vs the Continental. i would have no thought of danger or injury to the instrument if i dropped the vintage case down 30 flights of stairs and it tumbles. about the same weight as the hardshell, but it shoulders extremely nice and carries balanced.

there is also a full leather version.
143592 A style case
http://www.elderly.com/reunion-blues-mandolin-gigbag-111418.htm

mine (i have A and F style) are both the heavy duty nylon cloth, which feels more like a canvas. there is little to no flex to the case, very stiff due to the type of padding and build. i can lay sheet music inside under the mandolin, a small music book i have laid on top and roll the edges slightly over both sides and it fits as well. the outside pocket carries strings, tools, tuners, cloth, etc.

not sure if they are still making these ballistic nylon cases, i know they were slowing them back a year or so ago. they do not look all wavy like these pictures, they look flat black with a real leather pocket.

http://reunionblues.com/product/225/411-59-29 F style case

all of the vintage cases (leather and ballastic nylon) have a shoulder strap.zippers are well done and work flawless.

there is one important thing to note on the placement of the attachment of the shoulder strap. the Access and Continental have "backpack" type double straps. i found when these were utilized, either single for shoulder carry or full on double backpack style, the case rode above my head quite a ways. going thru a door you might run the top of the case into the frame, also they felt a little unbalanced to me. .

the vintage cases have the top attachment ring higher up on the neck region of the case-there are 2 other rings on the rear bottom bout region of the case. snap the supplied strap to either bottom, then top ring and shoulder carry or diagonal carry across the chest. these cases ride lower down with no case exposed above ones head, seem very well balanced and almost weightless due to riding in the small of the back. they tuck in real well. this is important imo.

another gigbag, which offers little in protection as far as dropping, but carries very easy, well made, very light is:
http://www.jdmc.com/product/CB-320TN.html

the Boulder offers nothing in protection like any of the above-i have one of these and it gets its fair share of use-also have one for a clawhammer banjo.

the other classy option is a BlueHeron soft case. these are extremely well made and the husband/wife team are bluegrassers and have made cases for folks for 2+ decades:
http://www.blueheroncases.com/soft-case-products/mandolin-soft-case

BlueHeron offer padded protection to the level of the vintage style RB cases above. They are made in the USA, zippers are large and very heavy duty.it does take about 3 weeks to get one of these as they are made one at a time. check into the history of BlueHeron, they are musicians themselves and heavily involved with working/travel musicians. they strap mult ways and ride balanced and low. simply top shelf soft cases.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-13-2016, 3:42am
Your situation is exactly what the Travelite case were designed for - easy,lightweight carrying with good protection for your instrument. Used with one or two shoulder straps,the weight simply vanishes,
Ivan;)

John Flynn
Feb-13-2016, 3:52am
I can strongly recommend the Access Stage Three bags. They are a lightweight, "semi-rigid" case. There is enough support there that I don't worry about stacking stuff on top of the case or tossing it into the backseat of my car. They have great accessory pockets and different kinds of straps and handles that make them easy to pick up and carry. I have two: the mandolin model and the banjo model, which I use to carry my OM. Both work great. It looks like they have redesigned them since I bought mine, so I can't speak to the new models (pictured).

http://www.carryaccess.com/gallery3.htm

constatty
Feb-13-2016, 1:23pm
Wow, Thanks for the great information. That gives me some choices.

LadysSolo
Feb-13-2016, 6:53pm
I like Stagg bags but I would not want to use it if I needed a LOT of protection. I use them at home to keep cat/dog hair off and protection from bumping, but they would not protect if something was dropped on it.

Denman John
Feb-13-2016, 11:14pm
I picked up a used Reunion Blues leather gig bag this fall for my son and it' had a lot of use since then. Great protection, fairly light, nice handles and shoulder strap. It wasn't that expensive considering the quality, and I love the looks, feel and smell of it :whistling:

mcgroup53
Mar-11-2016, 12:36pm
Yes, I had the Access case, but sold it. Not enough protection, IMO. And I also had zipper issues with my Travelite. I bought a Hoffee for my Ellis F5 Special. Not the lightest case, but 100% bombproof.

colorado_al
Mar-11-2016, 1:34pm
I like the Gator. Has storage pouch as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GSY91M/

CJFizzix
Mar-13-2016, 9:41am
I have the eastman fiberglass case. It is not as light as my travelite case, but it is very light and has much more protection. It has NO storage though. I use a little leather bag in the case to hold a tuner. It does have backpack straps, but I haven't used them. I use a shoulder strap. The place to clip the straps could be higher on the case. It clips in at the middle rather than closer to the top of the neck.
I love the case.

mandroid
Mar-13-2016, 3:52pm
I have an Eastman Too theres space over the headstock for spare strings (using a Crown Royal Bag)

and Under the headstock & I can just leave my strap on .. .

the 3D rings and its back pack strap ready.. I use them

rubber gasket edges keep things dry , inside , I Ride my bicycle carrying it. rain or shine..

AlanN
Mar-13-2016, 3:56pm
I bought a Hoffee for my Ellis F5 Special

Smart laddie...

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-14-2016, 3:28am
From mcgroup53 - "...Not the lightest case, but 100% bombproof." No they're not,that's the big problem with C/fiber cases.
The Hoffee cases from what i've read, are very good cases indeed,provided that the case surface isn't compromised by any deep scratches. The Hoffee cases do have Kevlar as part of their make up & that's a 'must' in helping to make the case impact resistant. However,if you scratch the case deeply enough,the structural integrity of the case is gone !. Once you cut through or break the c/fibers themselves,the case will loose a lot of it's strength in that area - so,don't fool yourself into believing that c/fiber cases are 'bomb proof',they're far from it. I've carried out enough tests on c/fiber / c/fiber - kelvlar / c.fiber - f/glass laminated layups to be very aware of c/fiber's shortcomings. The c/fibers themselves are very brittle,hence the need for the Kevlar,& even with the Kevlar,care must be taken not to damage them. The c/f & Kevlar 'work together',damage one & ....... !!,:(
I offer this purely as a word of caution. I've no doubt at all that a Hoffeee case will provide excellent protection - but,..
Ivan;)

mandroid
Mar-14-2016, 1:35pm
Bomb Proof? Nobody has watched Mythbusters then,.

JeffD
Mar-14-2016, 1:45pm
Another vote for the Reunion Blues Continental mandolin case. Light and strong. And the backpack straps stow away. Well made.

LillianBelle
May-18-2016, 4:30pm
Just bought a Reunion Blues Continental (tenor uke) bag. I have 3 a-body mandolins and each one is a different shape and doesn't fit well into the other hard cases (sort of, the Eastman 605 fits into everything, it is the other two that don't). The Eastman 604 with a tone guard on it doesn't fit well into its own case, either, so the gig bag was the compromise. I probably will end up customizing the fit a bit, but right now the mandolin only leaves the house for lessons and the occasional jam, so a gig bag is fine.

The backpack straps are quite adjustable - a looser fit means the top of the case fits lower (plus I am often the bringer of the spouse's electric bass, while he is carrying around his guitar and amp, and the bass sticks WAY over my head, so it is something I already adjust for).

The knock on the gig bag is that my notebook/tablet doesn't fit in the pockets, but then I usually carry a tote that fits my water bottle, small purse, cell, my notebook/tablet, etc, anyway.

Mike Snyder
May-18-2016, 5:18pm
+1 for the Gator nylon case. A little roomy for my Black A4, but good protection. Not Calton level protection, but good.....and light.

LillianBelle
May-18-2016, 5:40pm
+1 for the Gator nylon case. A little roomy for my Black A4, but good protection. Not Calton level protection, but good.....and light.

What is the interior depth of the Gator case, overall (ie: adding top and bottom)? From the top of the bridge to the bottom of the tone guard, my Eastman is almost 4". The RB Continental bag (tenor uke) is about 4.25"

liestman
May-18-2016, 8:54pm
Very similar to the Reunion Blues Continental, I like these https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/mandolin .

They come with a shapeable removable pad that makes your mandolin fit, similar excellent backpack straps AND a rain cover for the whole thing. Well worth a look.

LillianBelle
May-19-2016, 12:29pm
The Fusion bag looks nice, but it is also $300 - half a Calton, just about. I do like the idea of an extra pad that you can shape.

http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Premium-Tenor-Ukulele-Orange/dp/B00V66XA7W/ref=sr_1_2?srs=12743366011&ie=UTF8&qid=1463678765&sr=8-2&keywords=mandolin

liestman
May-19-2016, 1:43pm
Yes, but the Fusion and Calton have different purposes. I use my Fusion for other instruments that happen to fit in there well.

BBarton
May-19-2016, 1:46pm
For summer festivals and events, I use Access Three gig bags for my mandolin and banjo. I like them just fine, but they aren't at the same level of class as Reunion Blues bags (but of course also much cheaper!). I've never had a Travelite, but I like the looks of them. I used an Alpine bag for my mandolin for awhile, but didn't like it -- kinda flimsy IMO. Of course no gig bag will offer the protection of a hard case, and except when the weather is warm and I'm going somewhere where I want to easily carry the instrument, I keep them in their hard cases (Calton, Hiscox, TKL) all the time.

mcgroup53
May-24-2016, 12:02pm
The Reunion Blues case looks very interesting. I have had zipper and other problems with my Travelite guitar case. I see that Elderly carries it.
http://www.elderly.com/reunion-blues-midnight-continental-mandolin-gigbag.htm

I also see they carry an Access case and wonder if anyone has tried those cases.
http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-three-hb-mandolin-gigbag.htm

I have also seen that Gator has a nice looking mandolin case too.

Has anyone tried or checked out any of these?

I had the Access 3 mandolin gigbag and it was suyperb

AlanN
May-24-2016, 12:22pm
Yep, grappling with this very dilemma this weekend. For my wanderings around Lil John's festival, the Hoffee just won't do - too big, too heavy, simply too much. Likely be the Travelite or the Guardian in Small Dog.

Ah, decisions and choices, the best of both worlds...

sblock
May-27-2016, 10:28am
I love reading about mandolin players who buy multiple cases, including a Calton/Hoffee, in addition to a Gator/Travelite, because those top-end flight cases are deemed too heavy, or too much, for them to schlep around at a bluegrass festival. Next to the fiddle, the mandolin is just about the lightest instrument to carry around, and -- regardless of the brand of case -- comes in under 15 lbs. Compare that with carrying a guitar, dobro, banjo -- or bass! Methinks thou doth protest too much! :crying:

Mark Wilson
May-27-2016, 10:54am
5lbs lighter and padded shoulder straps for all day walking around? Yeah who would want that :)

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-02-2016, 12:02am
The Travelite is by far the best case for situations like that (IMHO). Used with 2 shoulder straps,the weight simply vanishes,
Ivan;)

LillianBelle
Jun-09-2016, 11:24am
Bought another mandolin, need another case. MAAS (Mandolin Accessory Acquisition Syndrome).

The battered original case will work fine for around-the-house storage with a humidifier on very dry days, but I'd like a lighter travel case that doesn't have approaching-100-year-old latches. The one thing I don't like about the RB Continental case I bought is that it doesn't hold even a thin notebook with sheet music. Sure, you can fold a few sheets and put them in the outside case, but I'd like to put my thin notebook and my 10" tablet in the case, truly leaving my hands free.

Is that an option with the Travelite, Gator or Access 3?